[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toddler Car Seats

Brentastic

So, my almost 1 year old son will soon need an upgrade in his car seat. It's pretty well-known these days that it's best to keep a child in a rear-facing seat until 4 years old. The problem for me, is that I'm having trouble finding any rear-facing to support toddlers. Our current car seat is great - a Chicco Keyfit but the max weight is either 22lbs or 30lbs (depending on if it's a keyfit 30 or not). Anyways, I'm looking for any suggestions on brands that have rear-facing seats to support a toddler until age 4 if possible.

thanks huddle.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, my almost 1 year old son will soon need an upgrade in his car seat. It's pretty well-known these days that it's best to keep a child in a rear-facing seat until 4 years old. The problem for me, is that I'm having trouble finding any rear-facing to support toddlers. Our current car seat is great - a Chicco Keyfit but the max weight is either 22lbs or 30lbs (depending on if it's a keyfit 30 or not). Anyways, I'm looking for any suggestions on brands that have rear-facing seats to support a toddler until age 4 if possible.

thanks huddle.

:wacko:

Where did you read this?

We always went by the standard rule of thumb " 1 year or 20 pounds", but the National Transportation Association now says 30 lbs (which is the weight of most 18-24 month old children).

Here is a blurb from CPOnline, a noted Child Safety organization:

Rear-facing - Unmatched Safety

Rear-facing is the safest position the child can ride in. It is strongly recommended that all children stay rear-facing beyond the minimum requirements of 1 year and 20 lbs. Children should not be turned forward-facing until they reach the maximum rear-facing limits of a convertible seat (that allows rear-facing to at least 30 lbs). These limits are either the maximum rear-facing weight limit or when the top of their head is within one inch of the top of the seat shell, whichever comes first. While most parents are aware that they must keep their children rear-facing "until they are AT LEAST 1 year old AND 20 lbs", very few are told that there are significant safety benefits when a child remains rear-facing as long as the seat allows. For most children, rear-facing can and should continue well into the second year of life.

CPSafety Online

:wacko:

Where did you read this?

We always went by the standard rule of thumb " 1 year or 20 pounds", but the National Transportation Association now says 30 lbs (which is the weight of most 18-24 month old children).

Here is a blurb from CPOnline, a noted Child Safety organization:

Rear-facing - Unmatched Safety

Rear-facing is the safest position the child can ride in. It is strongly recommended that all children stay rear-facing beyond the minimum requirements of 1 year and 20 lbs. Children should not be turned forward-facing until they reach the maximum rear-facing limits of a convertible seat (that allows rear-facing to at least 30 lbs). These limits are either the maximum rear-facing weight limit or when the top of their head is within one inch of the top of the seat shell, whichever comes first. While most parents are aware that they must keep their children rear-facing "until they are AT LEAST 1 year old AND 20 lbs", very few are told that there are significant safety benefits when a child remains rear-facing as long as the seat allows. For most children, rear-facing can and should continue well into the second year of life.

CPSafety Online

I guess it's not all that common yet - there have been some new studies that suggest a child is much safer in a rear-facing seat until 4 years old. A few months back, someone on here posted a video of the importance of rear-facing safety. Rear-facing supports the spine and neck much better and therefore, is suggested until age 4. Just google it and you will see a bunch of articles on the subject. I just assumed with all of you having 140+ IQs, this would be common knowledge :D

So back on topic - can anyone help me find a brand that has rear-facing for over 20lbs?

Try Brittax. I think they have one that can hold up to 80lbs forward facing and 50-60 (I think) rear facing. I can't remember the exact model though. We have the Decathlon and it's safety rating was 5 stars.

Damn, I was unaware of the new findings.

Research the Britax line and see if they have something in that style.

ETA: What Biggie said, we have a Britax as well and it's really nice...

Edited by twiley

ETA: What Biggie said, we have a Britax as well and it's really nice... :D

what's your Cooler rated at :D interested in side impact and police pursuit testing...or are ya still using the scooter :D love ya man :wacko:

ETA: What Biggie said, we have a Britax as well and it's really nice... :wacko:

The laughing emoticon makes me think this is some sort of inside joke.

Britax is good.

Good luck finding a child that will fit in a seat that is rear-facing at 4 years of age.

+1. My 7 y/o who is small for her age would still have not had the legroom needed. My nine y/o who has been 98% height and weight since pretty much birth - fogeddaboudit.

if I tried to put my 4 year old (or even my 2 year old for that matter) in a rear-facing seat they have a complete shiat fit. Can't say I'd blame them either-who'd want to sit staring at nothing but a seat and not be able to look at Mom & Dad or really even interact with us, that would suck for the kid.

My kids have all been front facing after 1 year, I guess I'm now "old school".

I'm going to have a problem with this for my grandson. He's only 9 (going on 10) months and he just weighed in at over 27 lbs. yesterday. I thought it was rear facing for the first year not four years, but the two year posted above sounds like it could be true. There's no way that a big kid could or should be stuffed into a rear facing seat when their feet have no place to go. I would love to be able to have the grandson continue to sit rear facing for as long as he's able. I hope that is at least until he's a year old.

Btw, I've looked at all the car seats at all the big box stores and some of them have a big variance in size limits.

Edited by MikesVikes

if I tried to put my 4 year old (or even my 2 year old for that matter) in a rear-facing seat they have a complete shiat fit. Can't say I'd blame them either-who'd want to sit staring at nothing but a seat and not be able to look at Mom & Dad or really even interact with us, that would suck for the kid.

My kids have all been front facing after 1 year, I guess I'm now "old school".

+1

It is always parents with one child who ask these types of questions. Not saying there is anything bad about it, but by the time you have 4, you don't care if the kid is riding on the roof, as long as they get from point A to point B. I imagine if they did a study, they'd find it safer if everyone rode rear facing in a safety seat.

+1. My 7 y/o who is small for her age would still have not had the legroom needed. My nine y/o who has been 98% height and weight since pretty much birth - fogeddaboudit.

Well, it's better to have broken legs than a broken neck or fractured spine. I think with the new data surfacing, manufacturers will start making rear-facing for older children.

brittax is good -- any of their models will work for them all the way up in weight, and will work rear-facing as long as is practicable for the length of the kid. another brand I would recommend for that is the sunshine radian line. we have a britax (her car) and a sunshine (my car). the sunshine might actually give her a little more leg-room rear-facing, although it's pretty equal. the big advantage of the sunshine is it folds up. it's just as heavy and solid as the brittax, but if you fold it up and put it in the little carrying bag/backpack you can buy with it, it works well.

my little girl is 20 months and we're probably going to switch her around pretty soon. she's just too long. I dunno. I actually already switched around the one in my car (which she rides in maybe 10% of the time), because rear-facing you had to put the front passenger seat all the way forward to fit the car seat.

For y'all saying the kids don't like it... it's not about like, it's about safety. Rear-facing is more dangerous for the legs, but safer for the spine... pick one. If the kid doesn't like being alone, staring at nothing, suck it up and put a parent in the backseat instead of the front passenger seat.

+ bajillion

This isn't about what's comofortable or what the kid wants or what's practical - it's about saving your child's life and/or preventing serious injury should you get in an accident. There's no length I won't go to obtain optimal safety with my child!