[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

for jaxfactor and other mailmen

montster

we just moved into a new home about six weeks ago. it's located on a semi-busy street, and for some reason everyone on the street has garage mail slots or small boxes fixed to the wall of the house. we had a mail slot in the garage door, which i didn't like, because the mail would end up scattered everywhere, and there was no place to put outgoing mail. so we got a small mailbox that we put next to our front door, which is up a short flight of stairs (about 6 steps).

on saturday, our regular mailman looked at where we moved the mailbox and said no way. i asked why. he said because our mail slot and our neighbor's mailbox were on our garages, next to each other, and the spot we moved our box to was too far for him to go. after driving down the street and seeing that everyone had their mailboxes at ground level, i figured fine, i'd move it. i moved it to the side of the garage door, about 15 feet away from where the mail slot was (and 15 feet farther from the neighbor's house). we got mail on monday, but none yesterday. i saw the mailman today, and he said he was off yesterday, and his replacement complained it was too far away from the old slot. i was like, come on. he mentioned some "regulation" that 10 feet was the max. i asked if these regulations were written down someplace, he said yes, but he would talk with the other guy and tell him it's ok.

are there really regulations for mailbox placement? or is my mail guy being lazy? i have nothing against the guy, nor mail carriers in general, and i respect that he wants to keep his route running smoothly, but to make a stink over 15 feet? really?

Postal Employee: "May I help you?"

Kramer: "Yeah, I'd like to cancel my mail."

Postal Employee: "Certainly. How long would you like us to hold it?"

Kramer: "Oh, no, no. I don't think you get me. I want out, permanently."

Newman: "I'll handle this, Violet. Why don't you take your three hour break?

Oh, calm down, everyone. No one's cancelling any mail."

Kramer: "Oh, yes, I am."

Newman: "What about your bills?"

Kramer: "The bank can pay 'em."

Newman: "The bank. What about your cards and letters?"

Kramer: "E-mail, telephones, fax machines. Fedex, telex, telegrams,

holograms."

Newman: "All right, it's true! Of course nobody needs mail. What do you

think, you're so clever for figuring that out? But you don't know the half of

what goes on here. So just walk away, Kramer. I beg of you."

Boy, y'all have some a-holes as mailmen. Geez! I can see his point about not being up the steps, but 15 feet away? Just be thankful that they're not making you put a curbside box out. We have been informed that from now on, if new owners move into a house, they are to put a curbside box by the street. Keep in mind that this is for homes that have boxes or slots on or near their front doors.

I'd go with the talking to the postmaster suggestion above and get his/her insight. I like what Bier suggests about the basket under the slot inside to catch the mail. I need to know one thing before I make a suggestion about the outgoing mail problem. Is your garage door protected from the elements? If not, you can maybe attach a small visor over the slot to keep the mail dry, then just leave your outgoing mail hanging out of the slot to be picked up. My slot is on my front door and that's what I do when I'm off and can't bring it to the PO myself.

Cliff

The short answer is yes they can make you move the mail box. Your situation isn't that bad. You should deal with rural mail carriers, and their complaints.

:wacko: Our controller tells a great story about living in the sticks and her good-ole'-boy neighbor who moved his mailbox by a good distance. He got real combative with a postmaster that visited the site with the "you can't tell me what to do" and you can imagine the rest. There were threats, cops, fines, community service, and the mailbox returned to the original position.

:wacko: Our controller tells a great story about living in the sticks and her good-ole'-boy neighbor who moved his mailbox by a good distance. He got real combative with a postmaster that visited the site with the "you can't tell me what to do" and you can imagine the rest. There were threats, cops, fines, community service, and the mailbox returned to the original position.

We had to relocate a residential mailbox that was actually placed on our client's property. I just remember it being a real PIA. I think we ended up moving it a couple of times. Similar situation as monsters. When we started the project there was on carrier, by the time we finished the project there was another. It just reinforce my great love for the US postal service.

As previously mentioned I think the local Postmaster General controls this and should be able to tell you the "rules". In our hood, we have the rural type, but they are ganged together (ours is on the corner about 100' away). I'm sure if I moved mine to in front of the house or on the house I would be in major trouble. Consult your local PG.

Who gives a sh1t where the mailbox is as long as it is accessible? Postmen have a job to do...to deliver mail. Since when do they get to decide who do they deliver to?

Your mailmen sound like lazy, entitled POS's. Kick the snot out of 'em.

Who gives a sh1t where the mailbox is as long as it is accessible? Postmen have a job to do...to deliver mail. Since when do they get to decide who do they deliver to?

My first reaction too. I wont lump all mailmen into this category which I know you didnt do as well but these guys sound like a couple of dousch bags

this goes back to the wonderful unions!!!! people get more and more lazy under them. 2 instances here about govt jobs. garbage men wont lift anything over a certain weight. its fricken garbage!!! if i can get it to the curb on my own, they should be able to get rid of it!!! and the chicago cops are ridiculous. the new cheif came in a few years ago from the fbi. he said that the dept needed new physical fitness standards and testing. the union said aer u friggin kidding me!?!?! i mean, who wants in-shape cops?!?!?

this goes back to the wonderful unions!!!! people get more and more lazy under them. 2 instances here about govt jobs. garbage men wont lift anything over a certain weight. its fricken garbage!!! if i can get it to the curb on my own, they should be able to get rid of it!!! and the chicago cops are ridiculous. the new cheif came in a few years ago from the fbi. he said that the dept needed new physical fitness standards and testing. the union said aer u friggin kidding me!?!?! i mean, who wants in-shape cops?!?!?

"Capone sends one of your guys to the hospital? You send one of his to Dunkin Donuts. That's the Chicago way."

My first reaction too. I wont lump all mailmen into this category which I know you didnt do as well but these guys sound like a couple of dousch bags

Absolutely...I am only referring to the lazy arses, not to the group as a whole.

attatch a basket of somesort to the receiving end of the garage mail slot to catch your mail.

That doesn't help the sending mail problem.

that's correct. with the garage door slot, i could wedge the outgoing mail into the slit above the mail flap, but it wasn't very reliable.

Boy, y'all have some a-holes as mailmen. Geez! I can see his point about not being up the steps, but 15 feet away? Just be thankful that they're not making you put a curbside box out. We have been informed that from now on, if new owners move into a house, they are to put a curbside box by the street. Keep in mind that this is for homes that have boxes or slots on or near their front doors.

I'd go with the talking to the postmaster suggestion above and get his/her insight. I like what Bier suggests about the basket under the slot inside to catch the mail. I need to know one thing before I make a suggestion about the outgoing mail problem. Is your garage door protected from the elements? If not, you can maybe attach a small visor over the slot to keep the mail dry, then just leave your outgoing mail hanging out of the slot to be picked up. My slot is on my front door and that's what I do when I'm off and can't bring it to the PO myself.

Cliff

the garage door isn't really protected from the elements. what's weird is why they just didn't make everyone put out curbside boxes -- as it is now, the mail carriers have to stop the car, get out, deliver the mail, get back in, drive two houses down, get out, etc.

my dad, who's visiting and who moved the mailbox for me in the first place, talked to our neighbor, who's lived there for 15 years. she said there's one mailman who complains about everything -- my guess is it's the same one who refused to deliver our mail on tuesday. the stupid thing is that the position of our mailbox is basically a mirror image of our neighbor's, so it's not as if we're trying to be different from everyone else on the street.

our regular mail carrier seems to be ok with it. if the other guy keeps withholding our mail, then i'll talk to the postmaster. thanks all for the replies.

Believe it or not, I had a run in with my mailman a couple years ago. I live in the same zone i deliver to so I know the dude. My street got taken off his route and added to another(thank God), but not because of our little feud. I have a mail slot in my front door. This guy used to bitch and complain to me at work about it. I mean, it's not like it at the bottom of the door like some people have. It's like they think a dog delivers their mail or something. My slot is smack dab in the middle of the door. He kept bitching about my slot and I told him to get over it. So he starts purposefully crunching up my mail as he puts it through the slot. He'd leave my boxes of checks right in plain view on top of the couple steps leading to my door instead of placing them inside the screen door where nobody could see them. I threatened to kick his ass(off the clock) if he didn't change his piss poor attitude. The same guy has an FMLA case and he's no more hurt than I am. This gives him the right to call in sick whenever he feels like it and not get in any trouble. The f'khead laughs about it especially when it puts the rest of us in the weeds. He loves to call in sick on weekends or Mondays, but because of this stupid FMLA case, there's nothing the PO can do about it. Man I wish they'd crack down on people like him and get rid of their ugly attitude asses.

I see him at work and I don't say a damn word to him. I feel sorry for the people who are on his route. What a doooosh. I'd love to break his leg and say, "now your FMLA case is legit". :wacko: The only time I never left a Christmas tip was the only year this clown was my mailman. Now I have a female carrier and she's just as nice as could be.

I have two retired postman as neighbors. They do not like you talking about their profession, as I found out.

Our mail lady dropped a package off at my house one day. We have a long driveway and she dropped it off on the driveway and sidewalk. UPS or FedEx bring it onto the porch to get it out of the elements. Not USPS. The retired people said they aren't allowed to get out of their car and I should probably be lucky she even went up the driveway. Doesn't have anything to do with being a lazy Federal employee at all.

Federal employees are definitely a different breed when it comes to work.