[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Corporate "red tape" - how bad is it where you are

BeeR

I swear half my job now is documenting what I do for my job. Submitting this or that tickets, work requests, work orders, put what you did in this or that spreadsheet....all of it in ridiculously, painstakingly and usually pointless detail.....meetings for the sake of meetings where people talk a lot and don't say a damn thing, blah blah blah :wacko: Anyone else?

(PS no it's not even a gov't job, where I'd expect that)

With the drastic shift to imports our company has taken I get buried in a lot of this stuff but it is usually between me and the Retailers or factories I deal with. I have to send these people all kids of documenst and fabric detail sheets for customs purposes. That is a hugh hassle for me

At least there's a valid (or seems at least semi-valid) reason. Ours is self-inflicted. Personally I think it's because a lot of middle/upper mgt is trying to justify its existance with a barrage of "metrics."

At least there's a valid (or seems at least semi-valid) reason. Ours is self-inflicted. Personally I think it's because a lot of middle/upper mgt is trying to justify its existance with a barrage of "metrics."

I see what you are saying

I don't. Let's set-up a meeting to talk about it.

But first, please fill this form out in triplicate and register via our website.

and use the FTP site (which has a bunch of restrictions in it)

:wacko:

and use the FTP site (which has a bunch of restrictions in it)

:wacko:

I hate FTP sites. We have a bunch of red tape, that we do have primarily is regulatory and cya. I swear if we could get rid of lawyers, OSHA, and the EPA we could cut our paper work in half.

I sat down with my direct supervisor.

Questions about why I am driving over half the county 3 days a week somehow morphed into a criticism of myself and a friend/coworker getting done too early/not early enough depending on the day.

The company has won, I don't give f*ck, am not going to do anything I'm not directly told to do, and am just going to shut up and try to be invisible until I move on in a couple years.

In the past ~2 years, I have slowly become convinced that the company I am part of no longer develops products to be used by customers, but rather, is now in the business of generating memos & detailed spreadsheets for internal consumption by employees that only occasionally think about the products that we are supposed to be developing.

The gathering of "metrics" seems to have become an end unto itself, where the metrics are now our primary "product".

Edited by ts

Nothing compares to the bloated bureaucracy known as Sears Holdings. I honestly don't know how Sears/Kmart get the shelves stocked. The left hand doesn't even know the right hand exists. Target and Walmart, nightmares in their own right, are a breeze in comparison.

The gathering of "metrics" seems to have become an end unto itself, where the metrics are now our primary "product".

I think red tape/metrics are the result of two popular business sayings:

1) "That which gets measured gets done."

2) "If it isn't documented, it didn't happen."

In my experience, the bigger the firm, the more of both you will have.

I think red tape/metrics are the result of two popular business sayings:

1) "That which gets measured gets done."

2) "If it isn't documented, it didn't happen."

In my experience, the bigger the firm, the more of both you will have.

I think you guys may have poorly implemented metrics.

I think the phrase is "That which gets measured, improves". And I'm trying to implement it at my company. Otherwise you stumble around wasting time and money on the same stuff over and over again without knowing why.