[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What a crazy/gut-wrenching experience...

irish

My 7-year old son needed to have surgery this week for removing a pyogenic granuloma (looks like a blood blister but when touched in any way will break open and bleed profusely and if let go we were told eventually wouldn't clot) off his head. I've read some horror stories on here about how some of your kids had gone through procedures before and now I've experienced it to a degree. This was a very minor procedure but he still had to be put out. They allowed me to go into the operating room to keep him at ease which I was happy about. However, having to stand there and act like I was cool with everything going on while he stared into my eyes breathing in the gas to knock him out was rough. He was calling me and was wild-eyed and then the doctor asked him to count back from a hundred and he didn't get very far. His head fell to the side, a little drool came out of his mouth and he looked dead, it was an awful feeling. After the procedure waking him up took way longer than I thought it would. He wouldn't respond at first and then went into a tirade ripping out the oxygen tubes from his nose and attempting to tear out the IV. I went from anxiously trying to wake him up to wrestling with his arms so that he didn't do any harm to himself. I can't imagine what it must be like for people to have their babies go through procedures and more serious ones at that.

After we left the Childrens' Hospital, which is associated with Robert Wood Johnson (one of the best hospitals in the nation), we stood outside waiting for the valet to get our car and we watched at least 4 or 5 kids walk out of the hospital with full-size luggage and getting onto a bus. These kids definitely had cancer as many were bald, had that very pale look to them and some had visible incision scars on various parts of their bodies. One girl had one the length of her right leg. Of course my son was full of questions once we got into the car and we talked about what they were possibly going through. Both of us just sat in the back seat (wife drove as she doesn't cope very well with things like this) with heavy hearts thinking and talking about those kids but feeling fortunate at the same time that his procedure was minor and over.

Glad it's over and all worked out well but it definitely shed some light on what others have to go through and worse and was a life changing experience.

I can't imagine anything worse than watching your own child go through cancer. Glad yours was just a minor procedure Irish.

+1

:getwellsoonlittleone:

+1

The worries of the world melt away when you witness those that are much worse off than yourself. Can go from frustrated to thankful in a heartbeat.

Glad to read your son is fine. Maybe you two can volunteer at a soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, or homeless shelter as a father/son sort of thing. The world could always use another good hearted soul.

Thanks for the thoughts fellas and I passed them on to my kiddo. I told him that the guys at the Huddle wished him the best and a quick recovery and he said can I meet them? I told him that I know you guys from the innernets (huddle-ism I use in my personal life). He says thanks for making him feel better.

And Riffraff, there's no doubt in my mind that my son and I will be doing things for others as we already have through church and his school and he's just that kind of kid where he loves people and trying to help. It's so true that moments like these really put life in the proper perspective as I know I take it for granted how lucky my family and I are because of how much worse we could have it and how much worse others really do have it.

Glad everything went well Irish. My oldest daughter was born at RWJ hospital, so it is always nice to know you have a good team of doctors to work on your son, even if it was a minor procedure. The conversation with him about the kids that have cancer, was probably also good in that it will give him an appreciation that he is blessed and to help pray for those kids and their family.

Children come out of nitrous/IV sedations pretty violently. It's a very common reaction. They probably should have prepared you for that going in so it wasn't so shocking, Irish. Glad it was a minor procedure and went well, hun. Continued good health!! :wacko:

Im glad things went well with his procedure. Anytime it is a child , especially your own child, it is gut wrenching. Glad to here all is well :wacko:

Edited by whomper

Children come out of nitrous/IV sedations pretty violently. It's a very common reaction. They probably should have prepared you for that going in so it wasn't so shocking, Irish. Glad it was a minor procedure and went well, hun. Continued good health!! :wacko:

So true. 2 of my nephews had to have a variety of surgeries when they were young, and the anesthesia always did this to them when they were young.

Children come out of nitrous/IV sedations pretty violently. It's a very common reaction.

I was very surprised to hear this. :wacko::D

Irish, I'm glad your son is okay.