[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

best multi-guitar rock bands

Azazello1313

so this morning in the car I was listening blissfully to the hocketing guitar brilliance of the band Television, and it made me start thinking about how much I love a really good multi-guitar sound in pretty much any style or era of rock music. so what other bands come to mind? you almost have to start with the rolling stones. sonic youth is another hugh favorite of mine in that respect. what are some of your favorite bands and/or albums with a distinctive multi-guitar sound?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Outlaws. Back in the day they were THE three guitar lineup.

You beat me to this one. Back in the 80s I saw them in concert. Molly Hatchett was the opening act. For an encore they brought Molly Hatchett back out on stage and all of them played Green Grass and High Tides. Talk about guitar overload :wacko:

interestingly enough, there are a couple "outlaws" bands that could meet the description. I assume kid and everyone else is talking about the skynard-esque

, but I was just looking them up on allmusic.com, and there's another british group from the 60s that included, among others, ritchie blackmore (deep purple)....

The Outlaws — not to be confused with the American country act of the same name — were one of a wave of instrumental groups that came along in British pop/rock music during the late 1950's and early 1960's. At the time, Cliff Richard's backing band the Shadows, were selling hundreds of thousands of records on their own, separate from the singer, and enjoying the kind of star status that guitarists of just a generation earlier could only have dreamt about. The Outlaws were distinguished by the unique sound of their records, courtesy of producer Joe Meek, and the presence of three top-flight players, one near-legend (Bobby Graham), and one future guitar god, Ritchie Blackmore, in their ranks. The group's roots go back to a North London band called Billy Gray & the Stormers, and a summer 1960 engagement at the renowned Yorkshire holiday camp Butlins. Billy Gray (real name Billy Halsey) was the singer, and the rest of the lineup included Billy Kuy on lead guitar, Reg Hawkins on rhythm guitar, Chas Hodges on bass, and, taking over the vacant drummer's spot, Bobby Graham.

With their twangy lead guitar, emphatic rhythm guitar, and a very prominent electric bass, plus a killer beat, all of it awash in tons of echo, their records were bracing, melodic in a slightly off-kilter way, but also exciting and highly virtuistic.

interestingly enough, there are a couple "outlaws" bands that could meet the description. I assume kid and everyone else is talking about the skynard-esque
, but I was just looking them up on allmusic.com, and there's another british group from the 60s that included, among others, ritchie blackmore (deep purple)....

Deep Purple only had one guitarist - Blackmore. Glover was on bass, Lord on keyboards, Paice on drums and Gillan on vocals.

Big Country had two guitars, I think, as did Thin Lizzy and, of course, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Deep Purple only had one guitarist - Blackmore. Glover was on bass, Lord on keyboards, Paice on drums and Gillan on vocals.

umm, I'm not sure what you think I was saying....but I was talking about another band called "the outlaws" with multiple guitarists, one of whom was blackmore. I referenced deep purple only for those who might have seen blackmore's name and thought, "wait where do I know him from?"

umm, I'm not sure what you think I was saying....but I was talking about another band called "the outlaws" with multiple guitarists, one of whom was blackmore. I referenced deep purple only for those who might have seen blackmore's name and thought, "wait where do I know him from?"

:wacko: