[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What city & state to live in?

Broken

My original plan was to head over the bridge outside of Philly, but now I'm thinking maybe not. Obviously, I need to go somewhere with jobs (sales) and non-ghetto or super expensive.

I don't see myself going anywhere but PA if I don't have a job lined up 1st though.

Thoughts, opinions & suggestions welcome.

Places on my short list are:

Jax, FL area

Tampa, FL area

Orlando, FL area

Durham, NC area

Dallas, TX area

Austin, TX area

Edited by Broken

what have ya sold?....can ya do tatoos?

Product doesn't matter. You can either sell or you can't & I can. (9 years & counting) :wacko:

I do inside sales, not outside.

No interest in another career path right now unless it's writing, but that's not gonna pay the bills.

Edited by Broken

you can probably find a firm just about anywhere selling this stuff but...

I think a great sales job right now would be in eco-friendly promotional items. The crap that's given away at trade shows. I know there's a company in FL doing just this.

I freaking love Durham, NC. Seriously. The place is blowing up and there are tons of very cool people. You can still get a nice house for a decent amount. The schools are good. Crime is not at all bad unless you live in the crappy parts.

We moved here in 2002 and I couldn't be happier with the decision. Feel free to pm me with any specific questions, but I love this place.

My original plan was to head over the bridge outside of Philly, but now I'm thinking maybe not. Obviously, I need to go somewhere with jobs (sales) and non-ghetto or super expensive.

Austin, TX area

I'm curious also (just curious, not looking to relocate unless I can take my NYC salary with me!)...what's happening in Austin.

Pros:

Music: It's probably a goofy thing to lead with, but it's that important. You can seriously go see just about any kind of show any night of the week. The venues are all awesome, from small and intimate to much larger (but not stadium large). SxSw (South by Southwest) and ACL (Austin City Limits - which, by the way, is this weekend :D) are two HUGH music festivals, which bring thousands upon thousands of visitors to Austin. Great bands.

Festivals, etc.: Speaking of SxSw and ACL, the various festivals here are awesome. There's always something going on.

Food: If you're into food (and who isn't), central Texas is a great region. The barbecue is outstanding, we have great steak restaurants, and the best Tex-Mex in the country is here. Heck, we even have good pizza joints, ample sushi restaurants, and everything else you could want.

Nightlife: Again, feeding off the music scene, the nightlife is ridiculous. Add in the fact that it's a college town, and you have an incredible amount of bars, etc. Whatever floats your boat: college scene (high energy bars, lots of youngsters), the more posh bars/clubs, dive bars, music venues, restaurants that have decent bar scenes.

Weather: I'm gonna put weather in as a pro. I like it hot, personally. It's never too humid (although it has been for the past few days). We get a pretty chilly winter, but it rarely snows or ices over. I think there's nothing better than being able to wear shorts, a polo and sandals out at night.

Jobs/Economy: I moved here in 2006 because I loved the city, and was comfortable enough with where things were going real estate wise to start my own consulting firm. That ended up being a huge undertaking that has caused a ton of financial stress, but I'm not certain I would be any better off had I stayed in California. Texas has a ridiculously low unemployment rate, and this area of Texas continues to grow. If you're in sales, you can get a job in a New York minute. I have been applying for sales jobs (which I'm not even qualified to do) just because there are so many of them out there, and I'm hoping someone just takes a chance on me. Simply Google "Central Texas economy" and you'll find plenty of articles, facts, figures, etc. on what's going on here.

Edit: A sampling of the companies that call Austin home -- Dell, Whole Foods are home-based here. HP, Apple, Samsung, IBM, Intel all have major facilities here

Other stuff to do: If you're into watersports, we have two lake options in our backyard. The water level is down due to a pretty dry season, but when it's at optimum level, you can find thousands of boats out on Lake Travis or Lake Austin. Very fun. We have a small "wine country" out in the hills. As I mentioned, it's a college town, and UT football is huge. Tailgating on Saturdays has become a ritual, even with me not going to the game. You can go hunting, fishing, mountain biking, road biking... whatever, it's all here.

Proximity to [blank]: Hour from San Antonio, 3 hours up to Dallas, 2.5 hours out to Houston.

Cons:

:wacko:

:D

Really, I can't come up with any. If you're in the real estate, development or construction industry, I would highly recommend landing a job before moving here. That's about the only negative I can think of.... and it's "less of a negative" than anywhere else in our country right now.

If you'd prefer a tropical, less hot climate, then maybe Austin isn't for you. We had our share of 100+ days here. But again, I like it.

There's some issues with traffic (but not like, say, Los Angeles), and it's pretty "across the board" when it comes to peoples' country of origin. So if you're a whitey that would rather be around other whities and no one else, this isn't the place for you. :D

If I can think of anything else, be it positive or negative, I'll update this post. Otherwise, feel free to PM me.

Edited by darin3

He said "non-ghetto." So much for Durham.

I also agree w/TX, either Dallas or Austin.

Well, the no ghetto thing kinda went out the window when he included Jacksonville, FL

He said "non-ghetto." So much for Durham.

I also agree w/TX, either Dallas or Austin.

Well, for starters, he listed it. Secondly, Durham is one of the 100 largest cities in the US, and like basically every other city on that list, it has rough sections.

The area I live in is anything but ghetto and I don't live in the nicest part of town either.

Your opinion of Durham, of course, is not unique. However it is pretty much only shared by those who haven't been here in a number of years.

Edited by detlef

Texas is God's country, just ask a good Southern Baptist. Seriously I can only think of two or possibly three negatives with Texas.

1. The heat, there is no getting away from it, and if you are in the coastal regions or East Texas you can add the humidity to that. There are days when you literally can't walk more than 100' outside without breaking out into a sweat.

2. Due to the larger number of immigrants from south of the border language is becoming more of an issue. At this point depending on where you are going and what you are doing (selling) you can probably still get by without knowing spanish, but knowing spanish would make life a lot easier.

3. If you are a liberal you will hate Texas unless you live in Austin or possibly Houston, and even in those two places they are just liberal by comparison and nothing like the Northeast of the left coast.

I lived in Atlanta for 12 years and would highly recommend checking it out. Great nightlife & restaurants, lots of outdoor activities, young, vibrant professional population, loads of attractive single women, very affordable housing (especially now, condos in the city are being given away), long summers and mild winters, 5 hour drive to the gulf shore, huge and varied job market. Augh I miss it, I'll never forgive myself for leaving.

I lived in Atlanta for 12 years and would highly recommend checking it out. Great nightlife & restaurants, lots of outdoor activities, young, vibrant professional population, loads of attractive single women, very affordable housing (especially now, condos in the city are being given away), long summers and mild winters, 5 hour drive to the gulf shore, huge and varied job market. Augh I miss it, I'll never forgive myself for leaving.

Yeah, it's nice down here.

. Seriously I can only think of two or possibly three negatives with Texas.

I can . .

1.) Feral hogs roaming around

2.) Water Moccasins slithering around .

. . .thats all I got. But i have only been there on a plane layover . . .

You sure dont want to move to chicago (and I live in the Chicago burbs). . . you might get near to your NYC salary, but you get the most politically corrupt gubment since Boss Tweed in the city . . . .

I have been to several conferences in Atlanta and I have always been underwhelmed . . . but that is just me. is that main nightlife area called Buckhead? Bucktown? Either way that area is fun if you are young and single . . .