[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homework with your kids

whomper

How much homework does your kid get ? My girls are in 1st and 3rd grade. The 1st grader gets a page or 2 and some reading which is fine but my 3rd grader gets slaughtered. I am talking 1.5-2 hours of homework on some nights. She handles the writing and reading on her own for the most part but I help her with math. How much do your kids get ?

She gets

20 minutes of reading

15 sentences summary of the reading

2-3 worksheets in math

Writing core words from a list then adding our own with whatever list they start (10 long I's or Long O words etc)

This school is a great school . They were just awarded the blue ribbon . I am happy she is learning and although it doesnt come easy to her she is working hard and doing well but Dang it seems we are at that table all night :wacko:

How much homework does your kid get ? My girls are in 1st and 3rd grade. The 1st grader gets a page or 2 and some reading which is fine but my 3rd grader gets slaughtered. I am talking 1.5-2 hours of homework on some nights. She handles the writing and reading on her own for the most part but I help her with math. How much do your kids get ?

She gets

20 minutes of reading

2-3 worksheets in math

Writing core words from a list then adding our own with whatever list they start (10 long I's or Long O words etc)

This school is a great school . They were just awarded the blue ribbon . I am happy she is learning and although it doesnt come easy to her she is working hard and doing well but Dang it seems we are at that table all night :wacko:

Does she attend a public or private school?

In Prek4 Elise gets homework every night but Friday. It consists of tracing letters right now every night, we are up to Dd. She has to color in a picture of whatever is there for the letter she is working on. Every Wednesday she has to cut out some pictures of something that begins with the letter she is on and glue them to a sheet.

She goes to a all girls Catholic school Pre3-8th

She gets

20 minutes of reading

2-3 worksheets in math

We had the same issue in third grade and actually said something during parent night. Let me tell you, that was a bad move. Next thing we knew, the teacher was taking her out of the AG program and moving in with the regulars where she was bored stiff. Finally got her back up into AG and later found out other parents had the same problem, they just didn't say anything.

This was a public school by the way that was/is one of the best in the county I live in.

Then that is one damn fine school she is attending. Many public schools have given up on "homework" as there is no support at home in the first place. It does seem to me 1.5 to 2 hours a night is excessive. I teach 7th graders and there are very few of them that would be able to stay on task that long every night. I applaud you for putting that much effort into the work but you might want to schedule a conference with her teachers and see if that amount of time is what they think is necessary to do the work.

My youngest is in 3rd grade and that is pretty comparable to what she has to do. My oldest is in 6th grade and in the Middle Years Program of the International Baccalaureate Program, and she has really crazy amounts of homework. It amazes me how much simple math I've forgotten when I look at her homework.

We had the same issue in third grade and actually said something during parent night. Let me tell you, that was a bad move. Next thing we knew, the teacher was taking her out of the AG program and moving in with the regulars where she was bored stiff. Finally got her back up into AG and later found out other parents had the same problem, they just didn't say anything.

This was a public school by the way that was/is one of the best in the county I live in.

My wife said a lot of the parents were bitching. Tonight is actually back to school night. I wouldnt say anything but I wont be surprised if one of the other parents do

Then that is one damn fine school she is attending. Many public schools have given up on "homework" as there is no support at home in the first place. It does seem to me 1.5 to 2 hours a night is excessive. I teach 7th graders and there are very few of them that would be able to stay on task that long every night. I applaud you for putting that much effort into the work but you might want to schedule a conference with her teachers and see if that amount of time is what they think is necessary to do the work.

Yeah HR. Like I said I am happy she is being challenged and responding. We are very happy with the school but it gets a little overwhelming for the kid. Twice a week she cheers , which is good for her, but those nights go pretty late with the homework. She can do it afterschool but it is best she does it with me because she needs my help and "strict" approach toward homework. I am by no means a tyrant but I keep her on point.

My 3rd grader usually has a half hour. He's gifted particularly in the reading, 'riting, and 'rithmatic subjects which is pretty much all he ever gets homework in, so he's probably a poor comparison if you are looking for average times. My 2nd and 1st grader usually have 1 or 2 pages at least 3 nights a week. Depends on distractions and their desires to get them done, it's anywhere between 30 minutes and 4 hours it seems, but usually less then an hour.

Plus for all kids there are periodic pop quizzes we give them of spelling words that usually only take a few minutes.

My youngest is in 3rd grade and that is pretty comparable to what she has to do. My oldest is in 6th grade and in the Middle Years Program of the International Baccalaureate Program, and she has really crazy amounts of homework. It amazes me how much simple math I've forgotten when I look at her homework.

:wacko: So true. I am holding my own but there are times I need a refresher before showing her something. Damn you standard and expanded form :mad:

She gets

20 minutes of reading

2-3 worksheets in math

My daughter is in 3rd and that's about the amount she gets. She brings a homework packet home on Monday and has to turned in on Friday. The teacher also wants a least 100 mins a week for reading.

Right now it's a struggle to get it all done by Friday but we have to fit 2 soccer games and 2 soccer practices (which seems a little excessive on it's own) in at the same time.

1.5 to 2 hours of homework is a lot, especially when you consider many kids try to make time for extra curricular activities (sports, clubs, etc.). By the time it all adds up there is hardly any time to spend just enjoying each other's company as a family. What ticks me off is when they assign these huge projects that take up all of your time on the weekends as well.

1.5 to 2 hours of homework is a lot, especially when you consider many kids try to make time for extra curricular activities (sports, clubs, etc.). By the time it all adds up there is hardly any time to spend just enjoying each other's company as a family. What ticks me off is when they assign these huge projects that take up all of your time on the weekends as well.

That is what my wife was saying . When you throw in cheering and my little one goes to dance and then all that homework there is little time for family downtime.

Yep, we have a make up soccer game tonight (normally we have practice on Tuesday and Thursday nights. By the time we get home from soccer, eat, bathe, and do homework it will be 10:30 or later.

My kids attend a pretty dang good school. Some nights there is none at all and some there is quite a bit. From what I understand a lot of it depends on how well they are soaking up what she is teaching to the class. I think with it being a really inonvative school and the new teaching methods they use the kids pick up everything really fast. They don't even use chalkboards anymore :wacko: They use computers and a special overhead projector on a screen the teacher can write on that is really invisible. I'd have to look up the system. Its new this year and I was just blow away. Technology is cool! They don't even teach the ABC's in order any longer, there is a whole new learning system that helps them read and write better. My kids are going to pwn me! :D

My kids attend a pretty dang good school. Some nights there is none at all and some there is quite a bit. From what I understand a lot of it depends on how well they are soaking up what she is teaching to the class. I think with it being a really inonvative school and the new teaching methods they use the kids pick up everything really fast. They don't even use chalkboards anymore :wacko: They use computers and a special overhead projector on a screen the teacher can write on that is really invisible. I'd have to look up the system. Its new this year and I was just blow away. Technology is cool! They don't even teach the ABC's in order any longer, there is a whole new learning system that helps them read and write better. My kids are going to pwn me! :D

Until the power goes down, lol. I'm stunned by the number of our younger (late 20's) teachers who could not teach without a computer.

Until the power goes down, lol. I'm stunned by the number of our younger (late 20's) teachers who could not teach without a computer.

They still have the chalk boards, they are the backup plan I guess.

All of my kid's classes have ELMO projectors and white walls. Without the projector the teacher can't write anything for the whole class to read.

My school district's standard is 10 minutes per grade level per night. So a 3rd grader would expect 30 minutes' worth.

I think loading on homework to be able to say there's lots of homework is crap. So much homework is busywork, and I say this as a parent and also someone who's been involved with schools in a variety of professional capacities.

Demanding a 3rd grader to write 15 sentences on 20 minutes of reading seems ludicrous to me. After one or two good summary sentences, it's blah blah blah. I would want more of focus on quality, rather than quantity.

OTOH, my current 5th grader frequently finds a way to finish much of his homework in school before coming home. :wacko:

I'm not entirely anti-homework, I just hate the stuff that's stupid fill in the blanks stuff -- or on the other extreme, projects that 99% of them is done by the parents. That makes me crazy.

most of the studies i have read have homework over rated and mostly a waist of time. now if teacher keeps it to say projects and maybe short assignments its ok but anything over 1 hour for kids over 5th grade is a waste as they loose interest.