[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why are we there?

polksalet

I'd like to ask some project-oriented questions in regard to the war in Afghanistan:

- What is the definition of success in this campaign? What is the vision of Afghanistan that would satisfy our goal?

- Is success possible?

- What would an estimate of the cost in dollars and lives be for that success?

- Is success worth it?

If the goal is "Catch Bin Laden, send his friends scrambling". That is a doable goal, and should be pursued.

If the goal is "Democracy, love and peace"... I'm ready to cut bait and run.

I'd like to ask some project-oriented questions in regard to the war in Afghanistan:

- What is the definition of success in this campaign? What is the vision of Afghanistan that would satisfy our goal?

- Is success possible?

- What would an estimate of the cost in dollars and lives be for that success?

- Is success worth it?

If the goal is "Catch Bin Laden, send his friends scrambling". That is a doable goal, and should be pursued.

If the goal is "Democracy, love and peace"... I'm ready to cut bait and run.

What if the goal is to hold a strong military presence there in order to keep their organization destabilized enough that they are not as much of a threat to US soil or our allies?

Edited by rajncajn

What if the goal is to hold a strong military presence there in order to keep their organization destabilized enough that they are not as much of a threat to US soil or our allies?

When has their organisation been "stabilized" again? :wacko:

If the goal is stability for teh forces opposing the Taliban, then we should withdraw immediately and try to prop up pakistan . . .. cause THEY have nukes that we dont want falling into the wrong hands . . . .

PS- Until very recently they WERE our allies, FYI . . .

If "they" is the Taliban, they aren't attacking us. All they want is to control their little territory like they have for hundreds of years. If we wait 20 years, they will still come back and take over as soon as we look the other way.

If "they" is Al Qaeda, we should hunt them down aggressively rather than trying to wait them out.

why has there been no more discussion of capturing bin laden? obama talked it up quite a bit in the campaign ... why is apprehending this guy seemingly no longer a priority?

That is a great point, and begs the question of why hasnt that been the priority since 9-11?

Isnt the guy on kidney dialysis too? Why isnt this the #1 objective?

why has there been no more discussion of capturing bin laden? obama talked it up quite a bit in the campaign ... why is apprehending this guy seemingly no longer a priority?

Probably because just like Bush he is doing every damn thing he can to catch him, just not talking about it every day. I have to believe he would desperately like to catch him and be the one remembered for doing it.

Probably because just like Bush he is doing every damn thing he can to catch him, just not talking about it every day. I have to believe he would desperately like to catch him and be the one remembered for doing it.

Delta Force supposedly got very close to bin Laden, but was ordered to cease the operation.

:wacko:

If "they" is the Taliban, they aren't attacking us. All they want is to control their little territory like they have for hundreds of years. If we wait 20 years, they will still come back and take over as soon as we look the other way.

If "they" is Al Qaeda, we should hunt them down aggressively rather than trying to wait them out.

First off, weren't the Taliban supporting Al Qaeda? If so and assuming they would again if they were in power wouldn't we want to keep them out of the picture?

And second, by strong military presence I meant keeping a base of ops there in order to hunt Al Qaeda from & keep them from being able to re-stabilize/reorganize enough to attack us or our aliies on our own soil. Again, assuming the second we pull out then the Taliban will retake control & Al Qaeda will be able to do what they please in the region.

Edited by rajncajn

First off, weren't the Taliban supporting Al Qaeda? If so and assuming they would again if they were in power wouldn't we want to keep them out of the picture?

And second, by strong military presence I meant keeping a base of ops there in order to hunt Al Qaeda from & keep them from being able to re-stabilize/reorganize enough to attack us or our aliies on our own soil. Again, assuming the second we pull out then the Taliban will retake control & Al Qaeda will be able to do what they please in the region.

You are right about the Taliban providing AQ with a safe haven of course. Recently their leader appeared to say that would no longer be the case if they regain power. Personally I don't believe the SOB.

Why is any of this our business?

IT'S ALL ABOUT OIL BABY

It's all a cluster-****. Anyone who thinks we can bring peace and/or a stable/lasting Democracy to the Middle East should be laughed all the way to the White House, oops I mean the funny farm.

Follow the money. War is about the Benjamins. Always. One day I'll share a story about a place called Nam Phong, Thailand in 1972-73.

Flew in and out of there on "klong flights" (C-130) between Takhli, Udorn and NKP.

No one would ever say waht went on there but rumor had it was a "training base" another it was R&R for Marines from 'nam.

All I remember is it was pretty desolate carved out of jungle. We would pick up Marines and drop them in Udorn.

Be interesting hearing what really went on.

IT'S ALL ABOUT OIL BABY

It's all a cluster-****. Anyone who thinks we can bring peace and/or a stable/lasting Democracy to the Middle East should be laughed all the way to the White House, oops I mean the funny farm.

Afghanistan has a heck of alot of opium ...not so much oil

wrong war ...you may have been thinking about Iraq :D

Did you get to see Bob?

I didn't get to see Bob Hope because I was on guard duty out at the bomb dump about five miles away. I was with the security element detached from 2/9 Marines and we were plenty disappointed. Our CO eventially gave us extra liberty in Udorn, an Air Force base about an hour and a half away to make up for it. I didn't know a video existed of that show till about a year ago. First time I saw it I got the chills. Was I ever really that young, lol? And Mr. Hope was not exaggerating when he talked about it being hot.

Afghanistan has a heck of alot of opium ...not so much oil

wrong war ...you may have been thinking about Iraq :wacko:

Or I may have been makin w/the sarcasm :D

Plenty of people out there who insist our involvement over there was all about oil. Yknow Bush and his evil minions blah blah