[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've got a failry large chekck, what should I do

Perchoutofwater

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with the check given the circumstances below.

• Party down with hookers and blow
    • The wife has been wanting some new wood floors.
    • Tear it up.

I had a pretty nice watch with a life time warranty break. I took it back to the dealer, who in turn shipped it to the manufacturer. Now the manufacturer shipped it directly back to me instead of the dealer like they were supposed to. Only thing is two weeks after it shipped it still had not arrived at my house. The dealer I bought the watch from is calling me several times asking if it has arrived. I tell her no, still hasn't arrived. She calls me back a week later telling me she is going to get the manufacturer to send them a check for the full retail price of the watch and that I can just come and pick up a new one. I say OK, sounds good, what ever. She calls me back again three days later saying that the manufacture has agreed to send the check. Here is the catch, the day before that my watch mysteriously shows up in the mail, so I tell her the watch shows up, so I want be coming to pick out a new watch. So, I got my watch back three weeks later than I should have, but I'm happy it is working again. Now fast forward two more weeks to yesterday afternoon. My wife opens the mail and there is a check from American Warranty Services or something like that. These people just continue to screw up. So, what do you do with that check.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mail the watch back to the warranty company, thanking them for buying your watch.

Go buy a similar watch on sale or from a pawn shop.

Pocket the difference.

:wacko:

ETA: I voted "tear it up".

Edited by muck

Wait, this is a trick question isn't it.

It's like when ADP screws up a decimal point and deposits $100,000 into my account instead of $1,000. I mean, they screwed up so I get to keep it, right? I mean, hell, if some lady says she's going to buy me and everybody else in the store a free coat and then she doesn't come through, I'm entitled to trash the place and take my free coat, right?

A few year's back, I received a check from an insurance company in the mail. Appeared to be a commission check of some sort. It had my name and my address on it. It was for a sizeable amount (about 4-5K IIRC).

I called the company. First lady I talk to is like, are you sure it isn't yours. I said that I would hope I would know if I worked for a company. She laughed then still questioned whether it was mine or not. I finally said, heck, I'll cash it and take it, just trying to be honest. Finally got put on with someone in Accts. Payable with a brain and I said I would tear up the check.

I really could have used the money at the time, but it wasn't right.

Up to you though.

ETA: I voted "tear it up".

I really could have used the money at the time, but it wasn't right.

Up to you though.

I'd call the entity that sent the check to you, inform them that you got your watch back, and ask them how they want you to handle the check.

There is no way I'd spend it on hookers and blow, as I've never used either, and don't plan to start. I posted this here to help me to avoid the temptation of spending it on the wood floors the wife is wanting. l was planning on tearing it up, but I should probably do what the freak'n lawyer said, just to make sure they don't claim I cashed it at some future date or something.

If you've never tried hookers and blow, you need to... :wacko: Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow... Take the money and spend it on hookers and blow...

I would tear it up in front of the dealer. That way there is no doubts.

I'd have to drive 80 miles to Dallas to do that. I want to do the right thing, but that is too much trouble to rectify somebody's mistake.

I'd have to drive 80 miles to Dallas to do that. I want to do the right thing, but that is too much trouble to rectify somebody's mistake.

Never to much trouble to take the wife for a really nice dinner and an overnighter in Dallas and at the same time take care of what could become a real problem if no one ever sees what you do with the check.

Never to much trouble to take the wife for a really nice dinner and an overnighter in Dallas and at the same time take care of what could become a real problem if no one ever sees what you do with the check.

Doesn't matter to anyone as long as it doesn't get cashed. It probably has a three to six month validity anyway.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

you honestly can't be having any doubt about what the right thing to do is... can you?

I have no doubt what is right (or that the money isn't mine), the reason I posted this wasn't really to ask advice but as I previously said to help remove temptation.

I'd call the entity that sent the check to you, inform them that you got your watch back, and ask them how they want you to handle the check.

Best advice so far, IMHO. Cashing the check and keeping the watch is tad amount to fraud.... :wacko: ....wasn't there an Archie Bunker episode on this?? :D

I have no doubt what is right (or that the money isn't mine), the reason I posted this wasn't really to ask advice but as I previously said to help remove temptation.

Fess up. You REALLY posted this to give us all a subtle reminder that you can afford a watch expensive enough that you could sell it and install wood floors in an entire house.