[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WW II in HD

jaxfactor

I decided to skip the game tonight to watch this awesome program on the History Channel. It is phenomenal! If anyone gets the chance, tune in. It gets pretty graphic at times. Not that I didn't feel this way already, but :wacko: . I opnce again have to say "thank you" to all of those who paid the ultimate price.

An American bomber pilot on his mission to bomb Berlin:

"Our mission is to kill as many Germans as possible. If any women or children get their legs torn off or their faces pushed in...well, tough sh*t for them."

Wow. What a difference from today's viewpoint. Personally, I feel the same way when it comes to Muslim radical terrorists we target with "strategic" bombing... even though we are now not allowed to recognize them as such now. Hell, it's not like we carpet bombing them.

These videos were likely made in a wide screen format for cinema. I think it would be shame if they chopped them down to fit the TV.

Back when they made them, 35mm films (and even 16mm) weren't in 16:9, it was actually 4:3 - closer to old TV format. Widescreen (16:9) is more or less a holdover from Cinerama which was invented during the 50s when at home TV became a competitor. Old films on Blu Ray are being released with "pillar boxes" to place black on the left and right sides to hold this format's ratio.

That's what we SHOULD be seeing here. What I've got is a full 16:9 frame on my lcd. There should be bars unless the film has been slightly blown up and cropped (which would be a real shame) or they've spared no expense in stretching it out. I run in that business more or less and I really can't tell. The new photoshop (CS4) does ridiculous things with a conversion like this by doing more in what it perceives as the background that the foreground elements. :wacko:

In any event, I'm really just nitpicking. I'm glad they've done something to this old film in terms of HD. That's the other thing: ANYTHING shot on 35mm will look beautiful and fully realized in HD, no matter how old the film. As long as the master is in good shape they could put Nosferatu from 1922 in HD.

+1

:wacko:

I will say this - I got a little annoyed at while watching the first epsiode, because if you notice the graphic map they use of Europe to show german gains is actually the post WW2 boundry map, NOT the actual borders in place during all of the invasions. That's really inexcusable.

I will say this - I got a little annoyed at while watching the first epsiode, because if you notice the graphic map they use of Europe to show german gains is actually the post WW2 boundry map, NOT the actual borders in place during all of the invasions. That's really inexcusable.

Nice catch.

Nice catch.

Wow.

Go here:

http://www.history.com/content/wwii-in-hd/inside-wwii

then go to Europe and Africa and click through to Nazi expansion. The use a map of europe that has never actually existed: they use reunified Germany amongst SOME pre WW2 boundaries. Shoddy!

Is hould be this:

http://www.russianbooks.org/HST504/map1938.htm

ANd they're the history channel. :wacko:

Edited by Pope Flick

I love the footage and they've done a decent job stringing all this disparate stuff into a cohesive story. There are little disconnects though and I don't think they do a good job at transitioning from the European theater to the Pacific theater and back again. And even though most of us are at least somewhat familiar with what the timeline is, I would have liked to see some more of the strategic and tactical elements of why we did what we did woven into the story.

Still, I'll continue to watch as these are nits to be picked at.

I would've enjoyed it more if they didn't do the fn "buy the DVDs" pimping flickering across the bottom of the screen every 30 seconds (or so it seemed) along w/whatever other stupid BS while the show is going on. Anyway it was good but I wasn't overly dazzled ie not esp better than other documentaries I've seen. History Channel is a great idea often poorly implemented IMO.

I'll wait till someone I know buys it, then borrow it. :wacko:

PS does it being "HIGH DEF" really matter since it wasn't exactly filmed in high def? I didn't watch in high def so wondering.

Edited by BeeR

PS does it being "HIGH DEF" really matter since it wasn't exactly filmed in high def? I didn't watch in high def so wondering.

The digitalization process did improve the quality of the original videos, so in that sense it mattered. They were not as clear as the high definition film we're used to now.