[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any memorable gifts this year?

Big Country

Just curious, other tan DMD's cannonball, who else got memorable gifts this year.

For me, it was a couple that came from my 5-year old. Every year, his school holds a "Mistletoe Mall" where the kids can come in and go shopping on their own for gifts, etc. So, I know these all came from his heart and he really put some good thought into it.

Gift #1 - Key Chain that says "Special Dad" on it with a bible verse on the back (He goes to a Christian preschool)

Gift #2 - A miniature screwdriver, since I am always fixing things around the house or putting batteries into some toy. He thought I could use a small one to make it easier to get to some of the stuff.

Gift #3 - A bottle of southwestern seasoning dry rub. Since he knows I like to cook, and he likes to eat my cooking, thought I would like a bottle of seasoning. I'm going to grill a couple steaks tonight seasoned with it.

Just curious what everyone else got that may be more sentimental, etc.

Just curious, other tan DMD's cannonball, who else got memorable gifts this year.

For me, it was a couple that came from my 5-year old. Every year, his school holds a "Mistletoe Mall" where the kids can come in and go shopping on their own for gifts, etc. So, I know these all came from his heart and he really put some good thought into it.

Gift #1 - Key Chain that says "Special Dad" on it with a bible verse on the back (He goes to a Christian preschool)

Gift #2 - A miniature screwdriver, since I am always fixing things around the house or putting batteries into some toy. He thought I could use a small one to make it easier to get to some of the stuff.

Gift #3 - A bottle of southwestern seasoning dry rub. Since he knows I like to cook, and he likes to eat my cooking, thought I would like a bottle of seasoning. I'm going to grill a couple steaks tonight seasoned with it.

Just curious what everyone else got that may be more sentimental, etc.

Very cool

for me it was two gifts that stood out

250 gift card to GNC (which i used 70 already of )

and this ( although not exactly the same its very close ) Emperor Penguin and baby , which also came with a little card printed out which emphasizes that its the Male / dad penguin who incubates and cares for the baby when it hatches ...given to me by my two youngest Daughters and is now on my desk at work

I bought my wife clothes so that she could give them to me, and my Dad gave me exactly what I told him to get (Speakers for my iPhone).....and in both cases that's exactly how they wanted their Christmas shopping to be handled.

I liked these gifts because I got exactly things that I liked and wanted, but it really did take the fun out of getting a surprise.

*sigh*

Edited by Caveman_Nick

ipod (well OK the Phillips version not "the" ipod but still not a cheapie either). That's probably a yawn for most of you who have such things or buy a lot of such stuff, but for a dinosaur like me it's a big thing and was unexpected as we tend to keep Christmas gift-giving very modest and typically stuff like clothes etc.

My wife fills the boys stockings with small toys, candy, etc. So I loaded up my wife's with her favorite candy, suduko books, and such. I did hers while she was sleeping. (no jokes here, you sickos)

Anyway, Christmas morning comes, and the wife and kids open their stockings before we open gifts. After they were done, my 4 year old looks at me and says: "Daddy, how come Santa didn't put anything in your stocking?"

:wacko:

My daughter goes to a all girls Catholic school and we were told to give her up to $6 per adult so she could buy us something and have it wrapped for Christmas. My wife got a very nice ring sized jewelry box and I got 4 used golf balls :wacko:

Last year I got a Christmas tree shaped cany jar and my wife candles. The golf balls are in my display of golf balls right in front

My wife had my 2 year-old pick out a bottle of wine for me at the grocery store. He pointed to a bottle of "Fat Bastard" cabernet.

(I didn't even know he could read.)

Nice.

just thought of one more.

My mother in law bought me a BBQ branding iron. Comes with letters so you can set it up to brand meats, etc. with a message or something of the like, but I am thinking it may well replace the cattle prod.

This ipod thingy kicks ass. At last I can walk thru the neighborhood and instead of screaming brats I hear great music. GB it. I also love how easy it is. Just plugged it into the PC, charged up in no time and just drag n drop .mp3s in there. :wacko::D It even shows a pic of the album cover when the song is playing. ooooooh.

Only problem is earplugs - the connection doesn't seem to be very good (ie if you bump or mess w/the plug where it plugs in even a little, the music easily gets "static-y" or cuts out some). But no big, can upgrade those pretty cheaply I think.

Edited by BeeR

Best gift? Came from my niece. She was raised by my sister, who was her step mother, Christine was my brother-in-law's daughter from a previous marriage. That family of his, and his ex-wife, and him are pretty whacky and 'f-'d up.

Chrissy turns 40 tomorrow. On Christmas eve, she began to cry and talk to my sister (not her step mom sister of mine, another sis) and I. She said that she had to let us know how we always treated her like "blood". It never even crossed my mind. I never even thought about how she might feel about it. It never mattered. Her two adorable young boys, my grand nephews.... it never even occurred to me that they were not "blood" until that night. I suppose I should have been aware that maybe all these years she felt seperation from us because of this. It was just that far away from my mind.

I have not always lived up to being the uncle I wanted, or should have been. What she really said that night is that she knows we love her. Despite my failings, she knows I love her. Man. Wow. What a gift. One of the best presents I've EVER gotten.

We are going to her place on New Years Eve to celebrate her 40th birthday. I will tell her then about the gift she gave me that night, and how much it means. Best Christmas ever.

Best gift? Came from my niece. She was raised by my sister, who was her step mother, Christine was my brother-in-law's daughter from a previous marriage. That family of his, and his ex-wife, and him are pretty whacky and 'f-'d up.

Chrissy turns 40 tomorrow. On Christmas eve, she began to cry and talk to my sister (not her step mom sister of mine, another sis) and I. She said that she had to let us know how we always treated her like "blood". It never even crossed my mind. I never even thought about how she might feel about it. It never mattered. Her two adorable young boys, my grand nephews.... it never even occurred to me that they were not "blood" until that night. I suppose I should have been aware that maybe all these years she felt seperation from us because of this. It was just that far away from my mind.

I have not always lived up to being the uncle I wanted, or should have been. What she really said that night is that she knows we love her. Despite my failings, she knows I love her. Man. Wow. What a gift. One of the best presents I've EVER gotten.

We are going to her place on New Years Eve to celebrate her 40th birthday. I will tell her then about the gift she gave me that night, and how much it means. Best Christmas ever.

That's pretty cool right there.

:wacko: HAPPY NEW YEAR

The best gifst , like BC said, come from those gift fairs at the kids schools. They are so proud to give them and that is what makes it so special. You give them like 5 or 10 bucks and they get to buy stuff and wrap it and they truly feel the pride of giving a gift. My oldest daughter gave me a ornament. While I was opening it she went to the tree and took the ornamnet that she gave me wife off so she could be holding it when I opened mine. I opened mine and it said Dad. She was holding one in her hand that said Mom. Then I opened the gift from my 6 year old. It was a keychain. I looked at it and said WTPH is this ? Did you see the ornament your older sister just hooked me up with ? She give me that and you come to the table with this POS. I ignored her the rest of the day and she cried herself to sleep on Christmas night. Good times Good times