[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question abuot Catholics and Jews

muck

Situation:

Jewish man is on his third marriage to a Catholic woman who is on her second or third marriage. A friend of mine and I know both of them.

This friend of mine was at hs Presbyterian church on Sunday, and walking down the aisle with communion in his hand was the Jewish guy and his Catholic wife was two steps behind. Needless to say, he was more than a bit surprised to see them...

Is this what you'd expect of a religious services compromise between a Jew and a Catholic?

Edited by muck

I think the first thing you need to do if you're entering a marriage of two religions is to ro-sham-bo to see which of you is going to burn in hell. Just get that out of the way right off the bat. The doomed person should then apply for "hopeless sinner" status immediately and take it from there.

FWIW...when I was in College (~1970), I went to a mass at the Neuman Center. In those days they were doing a lot of strange things to make the church more palatable/friendly. This one night they had an African Dance Group w/ authentic drums, instruments etc.. Most if not all took communion. I'm reasonably sure that few if any were Catholic. Me thinks the Catholic Church no longer (and hasn't for awhile) restricts communion to only those that have recieved the sacrament.

I think we need Savage to qualify an answer here.

FWIW...when I was in College (~1970), I went to a mass at the Neuman Center. In those days they were doing a lot of strange things to make the church more palatable/friendly. This one night they had an African Dance Group w/ authentic drums, instruments etc.. Most if not all took communion. I'm reasonably sure that few if any were Catholic. Me thinks the Catholic Church no longer (and hasn't for awhile) restricts communion to only those that have recieved the sacrament.

Are there multiples of this, or are you indeed a Mizzou alum? If so, my opinion of you just elevated. :wacko:

I'll edit my first post; my friend was at a Presbyterian church when he saw the Catholic and Jew taking communion.

Situation:

Jewish man is on his third marriage to a Catholic woman who is on her second or third marriage. A friend of mine and I know both of them.

This friend of mine was at hs Presbyterian church on Sunday, and walking down the aisle with communion in his hand was the Jewish guy and his Catholic wife was two steps behind. Needless to say, he was more than a bit surprised to see them...

Is this what you'd expect of a religious services compromise between a Jew and a Catholic?

I was raised catholic, and since I no longer practice I would NEVER go through communion (and haven't) if I would attend services (which I have on occasion) because it is a slap in the face and completely disrespectful IMO.

I was best man at a Catholic wedding held in a Catholic Church. First time for me. I took communion but didn't do the left right up down thing because I didn't know which way to do it. Only reason I took the cracker is because the Catholic wedding was like 3 hours long with no break.

However, there was a 4-hour break in between the wedding and the reception, which sucked because it was on the other side of town and we all had to find something to do for those 4 hours.

Pretty much a sucky wedding if you ask me. Catholics seem to spend alot of time taking 10 hours for stuff that should take an hour...but I'm no expert.

I was best man at a Catholic wedding held in a Catholic Church. First time for me. I took communion but didn't do the left right up down thing because I didn't know which way to do it. Only reason I took the cracker is because the Catholic wedding was like 3 hours long with no break.

However, there was a 4-hour break in between the wedding and the reception, which sucked because it was on the other side of town and we all had to find something to do for those 4 hours.

Pretty much a sucky wedding if you ask me. Catholics seem to spend alot of time taking 10 hours for stuff that should take an hour...but I'm no expert.

Did you manage to contain your snickering as the bride was "praying to the virgin"? That is always tough for me in Catholic weddings...

Did you manage to contain your snickering as the bride was "praying to the virgin"? That is always tough for me in Catholic weddings...

To be honest, I don't think I stayed awake that long. I was curled up in a fetal position sucking my thumb with on the floor by the end. I also think I pulled my groin standing up sitting down a random dozen times. One time, I thought it was sit down and it turned to be stand up and they had to call in the EMTs.

On the surface (because of course we can't know what is in their hearts) it looks as if they are neither Jew nor Catholic in any way whatsoever but by name. Perhaps they are both converting to Presbyterianism.

Can Catholics be married that many times? Is it still divorce or death?

On the surface (because of course we can't know what is in their hearts) it looks as if they are neither Jew nor Catholic in any way whatsoever but by name. Perhaps they are both converting to Presbyterianism.

My personal opinion is that: Jewish guy is agnostic and really didn't think that anyone would care one way or the other as long as he kept up appearances and his Catholic wife figured that protestant communion is the same as catholic communion.

Still not surprised they were even there in the first place, but I do think it's pretty cool that they were there. Hopefully, they're asking questions they've not asked and/or looking for answers with fresh eyes and an open heart. :wacko:

Me thinks the Catholic Church no longer (and hasn't for awhile) restricts communion to only those that have recieved the sacrament.
A few years ago I was a groomsman for a buddy that was married at a Catholic church. Non-Catholics were not allowed to take communion. More excuses reasoning here. For the record, I think their excuse is stupid. :wacko:

seems like the Jewish man is making more of a compromise--Presbyterian a Christian denomination. As far as communion, no religion is more strict on the requirements of partaking than Catholics. I am not supposed to take communion at a Catholic church, since I never annuled my 1st marriage, but a priest in Dallas lets me when I visit his church, he's really cool about all that stuff. And yes, it is the body of Christ, blood of Christ thru the wine, as I've been taught. Also, most Catholic weddings I've been to are no more than 1 hr w/ communion service, 20 minutes without communion...my niece's wedding was just some readings, vows exchanged, a few words by the priest, done and out the doior in 25 minutes:)

whats in the Jewish guys Heart ? we probably do not know

but did he take communion with the full belief and hope that it was acceptance and belief in Jesus Christ and that Christ was the true son of Man who died on the cross for our sins and rose from death and ascended into Heaven

If that was in his heart and what he believes now and did when he received communion , not sure anyone of us should / could criticize him