[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The greatest "speeches" in cinema history

BeeR

Answering the great lines thread brought up a few for me:

- Speech at end of Scent of a Woman

- Speech at end of Harry Met Sally (by Harry)

- Speech by Clint near end of Outlaw Josey Wales to Ten Bears

- Speech by Robin Wms near the beginning of Good Will Hunting (on the park bench)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey, man, you don't talk to the Colonel. You listen to him. The

man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet-warrior in the classic

sense. I mean sometimes he'll, uh, well, you'll say hello to

him, right? And he'll just walk right by you, and he won't even

notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in

a corner, and he'll say do you know that if is the middle

word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are

losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when

all men doubt you -- I mean I'm no, I can't -- I'm a little man, I'm a little

man, he's, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws

scuttling across floors of silent seas -- I mean --"

Not a speech but just amazing acting by Dennis Hopper.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

How could anyone ever forget Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men? Totally f'n awesome.

Jessep: You want answers?

Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.

Jessep: You want answers?

Kaffee: I want the truth!

Jessep: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Kaffee: Did you order the code red?

Jessep: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.

Kaffee: Did you order the code red?

Jessep: You're goddamn right I did!!

Edited by tosberg34

Another vote for Pacino. While Scent of a Woman is great, I'm going to throw his speech from Devil's Advocate out there.

Who are u carrying all those bricks for anyway?

Pacino:

GOD!!!

Is that it GOD!!!

Well, I'll tell ya. Let me give you a little insight information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it: He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraodinary gift and then what does he do, I swear for his own amusement, his own private cosmic gag reel, he sets the rules in oppostion.

It's the goof of all time:

Look but dont touch.

Touch but dont taste.

Taste but dont swallow.

And while you're jumping from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughing his sick when I wore my first dressing ass off. He's a tight ass. He's a sadist. He's an absentee land lord. Worship that?.... NEVER!!!!'

KEANU REEVES: Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven, is that it?'

Pacino: Why not? I'm here on the ground with my nose in it since the whole thing began. I've nurtured every sensation man has been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. WHY? Because I never rejected him, in spite of all his imperfections. I'm a fan of man!!!! I'm a humanist, maybe the last humanist. Who, in their right man, Kevin, could possibly deny that the 20th century was entirely mine...all of it, Kevin, all of it. Mine. I'm peaking here. It's my time now. It's our time.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Doh!

and you may have missed this..............

Son, we live in a world that has innernets, and those innernerts have to be guarded by men with adaquate intellect. Whose gonna do it? You cliaz? You mike tice? We have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Irish, and you curse the vets. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what we know. That irish's bashing, while tragic, probably saved lives. And our existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on the nets, you need me on the nets. We use words like honor, hugh, fektard, and momo. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline (well ok, we do too). I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very huddledom that we provide, and then questions the manner in which we provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pay amage to our greatness. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Mel Gibson with his face painted blue and white in Braveheart

"..or will you will tell the English NOW that that they may take our lives, bu they will never take our freedom?!!?"

"What do we do now?"

"Just be yourselves."

"Where are you goin?"

"I'm goin to pick a fight"

"At least we didn't get dressed up for nothin"

Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks in "Miracle" before the game vs USSR

Didn't see that part of the movie, but I think the better speech historically is the one Brooks gave to the team prior to the gold medal game vs Finland -

"You beat the USSR but if you don't beat Finland, you'll take this loss to your grave...<goes to walk out the door, stops right before he leave the room>,,,your f*cking GRAVE."

FYI, they won.

Didn't see that part of the movie, but I think the better speech historically is the one Brooks gave to the team prior to the gold medal game vs Finland -

"You beat the USSR but if you don't beat Finland, you'll take this loss to your grave...<goes to walk out the door, stops right before he leave the room>,,,your f*cking GRAVE."

FYI, they won.