[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fatties on a plane!

millerx

:wacko:

So I have seen and read the coverage of the director Kevin Smith being told he was to fat to fly on Southwest Airlines without buying another seat. He acknowledged that he is fat but was offended by the suggestion that he was that fat! He has gone public with tweets and comments to reporters about the subject.

Personally, I feel sorry for the person that has to sit next to someone that doesn't think they are too fat! It's not a right you have to fly on an airline.

So what do the huddlers think?

:wacko:

So I have seen and read the coverage of the director Kevin Smith being told he was to fat to fly on Southwest Airlines without buying another seat. He acknowledged that he is fat but was offended by the suggestion that he was that fat! He has gone public with tweets and comments to reporters about the subject.

Personally, I feel sorry for the person that has to sit next to someone that doesn't think they are too fat! It's not a right you have to fly on an airline.

So what do the huddlers think?

My ass fits in airline seats just fine. My shoulders don't.

Should I buy two seats?

My ass fits in airline seats just fine. My shoulders don't.

Should I buy two seats?

I see two sides of the arguement actually.

On one hand, as i mentioned before, if you are "overflowing" onto the person next to you, then they have the right to protect that persons' space and comfort for them. They paid for a ticket as well and don't need to be uncomfortable for a whole flight just because the person next to them is a huge fatty.

On the other hand, those seats are just sooo damn small and crammed together. All so the airlines can squeeze in another row of seats for the revenue. How can they expect most but the petite to fit comfortably to begin with.

Hence the reason for the thread... I'm curious to see what sort of responses the huddlers have to this topic.

Edited by millerx

On one hand, as i mentioned before, if you are "overflowing" onto the person next to you, then they have the right to protect that persons' space and confort for them. They paid for a ticket as well and don't need to be uncomfortable for a whole flight just because the person next to them is a huge fatty.

On the other hand, those seats are just sooo damn small and crammed together. All so the airlines can squeeze in another row of seats for the revenue. How can they expect most but the petite to fit comfortably to begin with.

Hence the reason for the thread... I'm curious to see what sort of responses the huddlers have to this topic.

Again, 38" waist, 44" chest.

Could I stand to lose some weight? Absolutely. Am I a huge fatty? I don't think so. But I don't fit in coach-class airline seats. As a matter of fact, on one flight I took the aisle so I could "overflow" where no one was. That resulted in the pleasant experience of my elbow being rammed by the drink/food cart every time it came by.

Airlines = necessary evil.

It should be mentioned...in the article he does say that he originally did purchase two seats for himself. But he was able to to get on an earlier flight thru standby, because of that he ended up with only one seat. Gotta wonder how upset he really was...

On one hand, as i mentioned before, if you are "overflowing" onto the person next to you, then they have the right to protect that persons' space and comfort for them. They paid for a ticket as well and don't need to be uncomfortable for a whole flight just because the person next to them is a huge fatty.

The question(as usual) becomes "where do you draw the line?" And then you'll invariably have those who fall on the other side of the line bitching that they've been wronged :wacko:

I look at it this way...most people who are fat are that way by choice(choices, actually). One of the consequences of those choices is not being able to fit into a normal seat and (in those cases) those people should have to buy two. Period. Make the choice to fit or make sure to bring extra money for another ticket :D

Now, if the seats are so small that an average guy who is 6ft and 190lbs cant sit comfortably without his shoulders/elbows spilling into the next seat, then the airline has to account for that...

I agree that the seats are too small. As said above, my ass sits fine in it, but my shoulders/elbows don't. I think airlines are wrong for making the seats too small.

that said, wow, Smith is such a whiny bitch and this really changes my opinion of him... if it's true and accurate.

Maybe. The problem the airlines have is if they make all the seats bigger and give everyone enough room, they wont make enough money and then they'll have to jack up the prices of flights and then people will bitch about that and/or not fly.

Again, there is a line and the airlines have to figure out where to draw it...

The airlines should do what the movie theaters do. Have that one row or maybe 2 rows for customers that can't fit in the regular seats.

I believe that's been suggested but some of the fat people object to that because they feel they are being made an example of (which is completely ridiculous).

And not to hijack the thread, but how insane is it that people are objecting to those new scanner machines because they feel like their privacy is being invaded too much? :D Honestly, are people really more worried about someone seeing a ghost-like silouette of their body than they are about the plane being hijacked/blown up/crashed/etc? Ridiculous! :D

Right now I'm fat, and uncomfortable on just about any flight if I don't fly first class. Still when I used to have all the time in the world (no kids) and could do 5 miles a day and 30 minutes in the gym a few times a week, I didn't fit. Heck when I had a 34" waste I had a 48" chest. The seats are too small. They were designed a generation or more ago when people were much smaller on average.

I'm 6' 3", 255 lbs and fit easily into a coach seat. Just flew to Houston then back to Minny from Austin, no problems at all. It could be more comfortable, sure, but it is what it is.

I'm hardly Mr Sylph but I manage to avoid cutting into the space next to me so I don't have any sympathy for fat bastards who overflow all over the place.

Put them in the luggage hold.