[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vegtable Gardening 2010

Footballjoe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to put in some raised planters. Do I have to dig out the grass & weeds where they are going to be or can I just lay down a Josh Gordon mat under the planting soil?

How big/deep are the planters? If they're deep enough (anything over 12") you probably won't have any problems with something growing up through it.

Good luck.

How big/deep are the planters? If they're deep enough (anything over 12") you probably won't have any problems with something growing up through it.

Good luck.

I'm using leftover treated fence boards to make the boxes & planned on making them double high, so around 16" deep. The plan was to double up the Josh Gordon mat with one lining the inside & one wrapped around the bottom to keep anything from growing between the mat & the board. May seem like overkill, but if it keeps me from having to dig out all the turf then it's worth it. I have a lot of trees in the yard & no matter where I dig there are roots.

I'm using leftover treated fence boards to make the boxes & planned on making them double high, so around 16" deep. The plan was to double up the Josh Gordon mat with one lining the inside & one wrapped around the bottom to keep anything from growing between the mat & the board. May seem like overkill, but if it keeps me from having to dig out all the turf then it's worth it. I have a lot of trees in the yard & no matter where I dig there are roots.

Sounds like a plan!

Throw a couple layers of newspapers on top of the grass and then put your dirt on that. The paper will control the weeds and break down naturally, adding nutrients to the soil.

Throw a couple layers of newspapers on top of the grass and then put your dirt on that. The paper will control the weeds and break down naturally, adding nutrients to the soil.

And make sure you use the New York Times because it's full of crap and that's good for the soil.

So, no Josh Gordon mat at all?

And make sure you use the New York Times because it's full of crap and that's good for the soil.

:wacko:

Exactly what I was thinking. The Josh Gordon block also prevents roots from going deep into the ground.

So, no Josh Gordon mat at all?
Exactly what I was thinking. The Josh Gordon block also prevents roots from going deep into the ground.

Still wondering here...

Have another question though about composting. I have no shortage of compost material in my yard. In fact, just this past weekend I filled eleven 96 gallon garbage cans with the leaves just from my front yard. My question is does it matter what type of leaves are used. I have live oaks which I understand to have a high acidity. If I compost, do i have to add something to counteract that or do the "greens" do that naturally. Also, what's the easiest method you've found? Is it better to just make a pile or to buy/make a bin or barrel?

Still wondering here...

Have another question though about composting. I have no shortage of compost material in my yard. In fact, just this past weekend I filled eleven 96 gallon garbage cans with the leaves just from my front yard. My question is does it matter what type of leaves are used. I have live oaks which I understand to have a high acidity. If I compost, do i have to add something to counteract that or do the "greens" do that naturally. Also, what's the easiest method you've found? Is it better to just make a pile or to buy/make a bin or barrel?

No Josh Gordon mat. Just paper.

As for compost, you basically want equal parts green and brown. One layer leaves, one layer grass clippings. And so on. The green breaks down the brown. If you have the room, use a pile.

The barrel makes you look like a Megan Foxbag who bought it at Home Depot, drives a Volkswagon, and buys coffee at Starbucks.

Edited by Chief Dick

Still wondering here...

Keep in mind it takes time for the waste to decompose. Try to shred the leaves and waste to get them as small as possible. You can buy a compost fairly cheap at your local nursary, that is if you pick it up.

I am starting a vegetable garden for the first time this year . . any advice is very helpful . .

You're going to love it and will be very protective of it. Just pick up a good book on planting vegtables. It's good to rotate and know what you should/can be planting next to each plant.

I have a question. Last year, due to massive continuous rain all summer, my garden got a blight. Yield was mediocre. Does that fungus live in the soil and will it cause me problems this year or did it basically die off in the winter ?

This year I am trying something a little funky. A buddy told me about volcanic ash and how it is loaded with nutrients and helps gardens explode. I have to research how to apply it etc but I am going to give it a shot.

You should be okay, turn the soil over and make sure you do a soil test and apply the proper nutrients.

Let me know how the ash does.

Bad year all around last year. Cool and wet is no way to garden.

That's no joke. Last year I had pretty good yields because I set my garden up to drain well, but it was a wet year and that made planting a little late etc.

For new gardeners the most helpful advice I can give is: COMPOST, COMPOST and COMPOST. This is the life blood of the plant. I have a compost pile and also get a pickup truck full every year. I do not need to fertilize and usually get very good results.

Guys, listen to Joe, compost compost compost! I can't stress enough how much it helps.

Have you ever noticed that if you grow tomatoes, you can't give enough of them away? How many tomatoes is too many? 3? 4?

I planted 25 plants a couple years ago and made shelves full of salsa. Not only do neighbors appreciate the fresh goodies, but boy do they love the strawberry jam and salsa! My family of 4 could keep up with 3 or 4 plants by ourselves. If that's all your concerned about then that should be enough.

two words........

heir loom

My neighbor swears by them and so I let him grow them and then we swap for variety.

I have turned the soil and with my busy schedule I am waiting on the wife to plant. It's still a little early to plant, but it's getting closer. Here is the probablity table for frost in KC.

90% 50% 10%

36 degrees Apr12 Apr29 May16

32 Mar28 Apr14 May02

28 Mar23 Apr06 Apr20

I don't recommend planting until the last week in April at the earliest in my area. We are planting 1 row of tomatoes (7-8) 2 rows of green beans. 3-4 rows of sweet corn. 2 yellow squash plants. A few bell pepper plants. A row of peas and a pumpkin plant. Of course we have the large strawberry bed that is already blooming too.

I'm in the process of moving into the house in which I grew up (parents moved about 4 years ago, have had it on the market for 4 years, so I decided to buy it.) I have 5 acres, I've carved out a parcel that is about 150' x 40. I'm putting in the following:

Three 30 foot rows of silver queen corn

20 tomato plants (better boy, beefmaster, some grape and cherry tomatoes and some heirlooms I've not picked out yet)

10 Okra plants

5 cucumber plants (at the request of my wife, go figure)

5 yellow squash plants

5 zuchinni plants

Pole beans, about a five foot wide trellis

butter beans

8 bell peeper plants (1 yellow)

6 jalapeno plants

6 cayenne pepper plants

a roughly 5X5 plot of radishes

I'll then do a fall garden w. cabage, broccoli, caulifolwer.

That all goes with the very small orchard of apple, pear and plum trees.

If my neighbors wouldn't get pissed off about me shooting rabbit, quail, dove, and geese, I wouldn't have to go to the grocery store... I guess I could just catch some fish outta the lake for meat

• 1 month later...

Has not been a good year so far. None of my broccoli or cauliflower did anything. I pulled it up tonight. Most of my onion have disappeared or they are not growing. Cabbage did not do anything either. Pulled that up too.

My tomatoes, squash and cucumbers are growing well. Eggplant and okra are doing fair. I planted peppers tonight. They should have been in the ground already but just have not felt like doing it.

Just got my small garden planted today.

4 Roma Tomatoes

4 Jalapeno

4 Cayene

1 Habanero

4 Green Bell

4 Red Bell

1 Yellow Bell

4 Cucumber

I am still an amateur and haven't mixed anything into the dirt. Is it too late to maximize growth? I usually use the Miracle Gro thingy that attaches to the hose once or twice a week.

Edited by Puddy

I've got a tomato plant and a strawberry plant in a whiskey barrel on my deck. I don't plant anything in the ground because the scumbags next door would steal it. Today I noticed one of the strawberries turned red. Yipp.....ee?

Have had some barrels on the front porch. Been raining and I have been working so much that I haven't had until today to plant my little plot in the back.

In front I have:

1 red pepper

1 sugar snack tomato

1 big boy tomato

2 broccoli

In back

2 pineapple tomato

2 grape

4 california wonder green peppers

3 red peppers

10 sweet banana peppers

We'll see. Anyone know a natural way to keep critters out of ones plants?

Have had some barrels on the front porch. Been raining and I have been working so much that I haven't had until today to plant my little plot in the back.

In front I have:

1 red pepper

1 sugar snack tomato

1 big boy tomato

2 broccoli

In back

2 pineapple tomato

2 grape

4 california wonder green peppers

3 red peppers

10 sweet banana peppers

We'll see. Anyone know a natural way to keep critters out of ones plants?

When you get a hair cut save the hair and throw it near the plants. The human scent on it is a deterent

Scaled back a bit this year, just don't have the time, but I'm going with tomatoes, herbs (parsely, cilantro, basil, arugala) and of course habeneros and my "proprietary" Calico peppers. I'll get a zuchini in the ground too.

BTW, I like to let my zuchini get over grown. Cut in half, remove seeds, cook some Italian sausages, add to Italian sauce, add the mixture into the cavity of the zuchini, top with grated cheese and mozzerella. Throw that on the grill with the top down....

These Calico peppers look like Bolivian Rainbow peppers. A friend of mine was at a local arboretum. Some custom hybrid seed company had these there on display. When he found them in a compost pile, he swiped some peppers and dried the seeds. We've been growing them for the past 5 years now. Hey, I didn;t steal them. Small hot peppers, streaked with purple, orange and red, they sure are tasty, although they are considered to be ornamental peppers. I throw a couplke in my pocket even when I got to a restaurant.

I'm amazed at how big some of the gardens you folks have.... more like a small farm, not a garden!

I've got a very small raised bed that the previous owners had made. About 4 weeks ago I planted (all from seeds) 4 tomato plants, 4 cucumbers, 4 zucchini, a row of swiss chard, a row of leaf lettuce, and a big mess of spinach (by the time I got to the spinach I was so sick of planting seeds that I just threw a bunch of seeds on the soil and then raked them in. Everything is coming up fine (and I have added 2 bell pepper plants from seedlings). The spinach is a damn mess though since I put them in there with no rhyme or reason.

I also planted some sort of "giant" pumpkin for my kids to make jack-o-lanterns out of.

And for good measure, I planted some grape seedlings on the side of my house, so in a few years I can make my own wine out of concord, niagara, and catawba grapes. lol

I missed out on the whole garden thing this year with the move to California. :kicksrock. It'll be so bloody hot here in a few weeks that anything I plant now would never be adaquately acclimated.

I am dang excited to plant next year - peas, lettuce, raddishes and such can be planted in January here. :wacko: Here's to a 10 month growing season... :tup:

I had about 20 spinach plants that were coming in beautifully. Then it rained for 2 days straight about 2 weeks ago and they all drowned. This got me so pissed off I haven't been in the backyard since. My MIL was out there today and she says my 4 tomato plants are doing fine. I'm starting to believe that it's too frustrating of a hobby to continue with in the future.