[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car buying

MojoMan

They're fun to drive for the $ and I hear reliability is better than Audi.

We had a Jetta for years with zero issues. We lost it in Hurricane Isabel. Something about being underwater did it in....

I really liked the fit and finish of that car for the money, and the 1.8T was a blast to drive.

As a professional auto tech I will say this. Stay the hell away from VW if you know whats good for you!

Doh, didn't know you were a pro. Not to thread jack but do you have any advice/opinion on Mazda? My wife kind of likes those CX-9s and I was thinking about grabbing an 07/08 with low mileage in about 6 months. What I've read has been good reviews but I'd like a tech's opinion.

ETA: The only solid rule I know about car buying from a dealership is they are typically more willing to cut a deal at the end of the month. Going on the last possible day gives you a better opportunity because they have numbers to make. They're going to be more optimistic early in the month and more desperate at the end. Just my 2cents.

Edited by Square

I have a Fusion. 2007 SEL, 4-cyl 5-spd, everything except navigation. Not the first problem from that car in 55K+ miles. Heck, I haven't even had to put brake pads on it yet (though they'll need it soon). I get 32 on trips, 27 around town/normal driving.

Again, this car has all the bells and whistles like electronic climate control, auto headlights, moonroof, heated seats, etc. Not the first problem from it. :wacko: If you ever get into Charleston, WV I can probably get you hooked up on either an Audi or a ford.

Doh, didn't know you were a pro. Not to thread jack but do you have any advice/opinion on Mazda? My wife kind of likes those CX-9s and I was thinking about grabbing an 07/08 with low mileage in about 6 months. What I've read has been good reviews but I'd like a tech's opinion.

I have a Tribute (SUV). 5 yrs later and knock on wood but not a single problem ever. Well unless you count those gay plastic door guards :wacko:

Re timing I don't think it makes much diff overall, although generally the winter months are better as things slow down some.

Edited by BeeR

ETA: The only solid rule I know about car buying from a dealership is they are typically more willing to cut a deal at the end of the month. Going on the last possible day gives you a better opportunity because they have numbers to make. They're going to be more optimistic early in the month and more desperate at the end. Just my 2cents.

No tech here but I've had a Mazda for 10 years and it's the most reliable car we've ever owned. Love it.

Mojo, there is another thread in here somewhere with more VW nightmares discussed.

I've heard great things about the Fusion too. Actually a pretty good looking car for a...well...you know.

They're fun to drive for the $ and I hear reliability is better than Audi.

If I remember correctly, I believe VW makes Audis internal electronics, which is one of the reasons the recent Audis gets banged in consumer reports. I remember reading this not too long ago when doing my research for a car purchase. I'll see if I can find the article.

Thanks all.

Man, it's tough to decide what to do.

My family had 70's Ford station wagons - those were such POS that I vowed never to buy a Ford or American piece of crap but I'm trying to be open minded and come up to date with car quality.

Deep six the VW option. Reliability is pretty much the most important thing.

I don't much care what it looks like.

I want AWD/4WD.

I don't want a SUV or Vulva.

Thanks for the offer WV. I'll have to see how far Charleston is.

Edited by MojoMan

Deep six the VW option. Reliability is pretty much the most important thing.

I don't much care what it looks like.

I want AWD/4WD.

I don't want a SUV or Vulva.

The Fusion's are great, IMO. The Audi quattro system is excellent as well. Depending on budget and size needed, the Ford Taurus/Taurus X (wagon) might be options as well. In all fairness, I've seen a lot of Subaru's in WV and they are pretty darn good autos too.

Like I said before, if you ever get to Charleston WV, I still know some folks at Bert Wolfe and they sell Fords and Audis, among other brands. I used to sell there.

First Battle of Kula Gulf , March 5, 1943

by Vincent P. O'Hara

Japanese destroyers Minegumo and Murasame had sailed from Shortlands on a routine mission to deliver supplies to Vila on the southern tip of Kolombangara Island. At 2330 on March 4, they arrived safely off Vila and discharged their cargo into barges. As they began their run home, bearing northeast into Kula Gulf, Murasame’s lookout saw white flashes on the horizon. These flashes were the guns of light cruisers Montpelier, Cleveland, and Denver screened by destroyers Conway, Waller and Cony. This force had set out to bombard and harass the Japanese forces at Vila. Enroute they received news that two cruisers had been sighted departing Shortlands and were in their vicinity. "Black Cat" PBY Catalina spotter aircraft picked up the Japanese vessels followed by American radar at 0057 at a range of 15,200 yards.

In this action the American commander, Stanton “Tip” Merrill, did not agonize over opening fire like Scott, Callaghan or Wright did in their battles off Guadalcanal. At 0101, just four minutes after the radar data had been received and interpreted, the American light cruisers had their initial salvo in the air from a range of 10,000 yards. Waller followed with torpedoes one minute later. Murasame was straddled by the first salvo. Within a minute the sixth salvo of concentrated 6” radar directed cruiser fire hit home, causing serious damage. Then Waller’s torpedoes struck Murasame, the first torpedo hits achieved by an American warship other than a submarine or PT boat in the Pacific since the battle of Balikpapan. The Japanese destroyer exploded and sank by 0115. Fire was shifted to Minegumo at 0106. She returned fire and tried to escape, but was hit repeatedly and sank at 0130. The Americans did not suffer any damage in this engagement. After dispatching the two destroyers they proceeded to complete their bombardment mission. Montpelier fired 1,800 5” and 6” shells in fifteen minutes during the surface engagement and 700 more during the shore bombardment following.

While this engagement was brief and completely one-sided, it is significant in several respects. The Americans demonstrated improvements in their use of radar, their destroyers finally managed to add torpedoes to their arsenal and their commander acted promptly and decisively. While the Americans had an overwhelmingly superior force, this was no guarantee of success as the Japanese had shown at Tassafaronga.

Anybody have any opinions on the following vehicles:

Buick LaCrosse (GM product - yeah I know)

Nissan Altima

Ford Fusion Hybrid

I love my Altima 2008 , 3.5 6cyl. It will be 2 years old in July and never had any problems with it at all. Very smooth ride with very nice giddyup, still gets around 26 mpg for a 6cyl.

All I can say about Mazda is that the car before the Vette was a 92 MX-6. I bought the car new, had it for 12 years and over 160,000 miles on it. All I ever did was regular maintenance on it. They wouldn't take it in trade on the Vette, but one of the sales guys bought it from me for his daughter. It was simply the most reliable vehicle I ever owned although the Honda Accord we now have is not bad either. The light on the radio cluster went out after the warranty expired and the mechanic at the dealership got it replaced gratis. Other than that, no issues. It's an 03 with 150,000.

My problems with a Subaru are documented elsewhere. I'll never own another one.

FWIW I was shopping years ago and considered a VW but ruled them out because their bumper to bumper warranty was 24 months while every other make was 36. If that's still the case, no brainer, stay away. And even if they bumped it to 36 I'd still look hard at their reliability ratings.

There are two tactics for getting good deals that worked well for me: third party no-haggle web sites, and going back and forth between dealers until you reach their rock bottom price. When working with dealers always know the vehicle and options you want, and how much you will pay, before setting foot on their lot. Then get their lowest price, subtract $500 and go to another dealer and ask if they will beat it. Repeat until neither will budge any further.

FWIW I was shopping years ago and considered a VW but ruled them out because their bumper to bumper warranty was 24 months while every other make was 36. If that's still the case, no brainer, stay away. And even if they bumped it to 36 I'd still look hard at their reliability ratings.

There are two tactics for getting good deals that worked well for me: third party no-haggle web sites, and going back and forth between dealers until you reach their rock bottom price. When working with dealers always know the vehicle and options you want, and how much you will pay, before setting foot on their lot. Then get their lowest price, subtract $500 and go to another dealer and ask if they will beat it. Repeat until neither will budge any further.

This is a good strategy in normal times. Right now, most dealers won't let you walk out the door if there's still money on the table. Just keep saying no until they let you walk, and in most cases that's about the best deal you're going to get. You might go somewhere else and beat it by $50 or $100, but at that point it probably isn't worth going through the hassle again.