[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Paul Ryan on the bill

driveby

The legislative victory among Washington's political class comes at a high cost for Wisconsinites forced to swallow this bitter pill.

This massive health care overhaul - a remake of one-sixth of our economy - will exacerbate the very problems this reform effort sought to address. It will dramatically alter our deteriorating economic and fiscal conditions for the worse and may irrevocably impair the American identity.

Sky-rocketing health care costs are drowning families, businesses and governments in red ink - leaving millions priced out of the market and without coverage. This legislation - with its maze of mandates, dictates, controls, tax hikes and subsidies - pushes costs further in the wrong direction.

Premiums in the individual market would rise from 10% to 13% for families. Our debt and deficit crisis - driven by $76 trillion in unfunded liabilities - would accelerate from the creation of a brand new entitlement and an increase in the federal deficit by $662 billion, when the true costs are factored in. National health expenditures will increase by an additional $222 billion over the next decade, according the president's own chief actuary, and $2.4 trillion in the decade after the new entitlement is up and running.

The passion against this intrusion goes beyond the mind-numbing numbers. Health care affects each of us in an intimate and personal way. The American people's engagement is driven by our deep aversion to the federal government's unprecedented reach into our lives. The entire architecture of this overhaul is designed, unapologetically, to give the government greater control over what kind of insurance is available, how much health care is enough and which treatments are worth paying for.

The massive expansion of the federal government into the personal health care decisions will drive providers out of business and force employers to dump their workers on to government-controlled exchanges. Because Washington doesn't approve, millions of Wisconsin seniors will lose their Medicare Advantage plans and millions more will lose the consumer-friendly high-deductible health plans they enjoy.

There is another personal cost to this deluge of new government spending and control. Wisconsin remains in dire need of sustained job growth and robust economic recovery. This legislation will hit our economy with $569 billion in tax increases - tax hikes that will hit workers, families and job-creators alike.

The true shame of this debate is that there are real problems in health care that need to be fixed. Almost a year ago, I introduced the Patients' Choice Act to fix what's broken in health care, without breaking what's working. I've spoken with Wisconsinites for years about patient-centered reforms that would make possible universal access to quality, affordable health care with the patient and the doctor - not the government or insurance companies - as the nucleus of the health care market. These alternatives were ignored by Democratic leaders in Washington - and the concerns from Wisconsinites and an engaged American public were dismissed by Washington's political class.

The yearlong partisan crusade - right through its ugly conclusion - revealed that this debate was never about policy but rather a paternalistic ideology at odds with our historic commitment to individual liberty, limited government and entrepreneurial dynamism. The proponents of this legislation reject an opportunity society and instead assume you are stuck in your station in life and the role of government is to help you cope with it. Rather than promote equal opportunities for individuals to make the most of their lives, the cradle-to-grave welfare state seeks to equalize the results of people's lives.

We must begin anew on mitigating the disaster from this health care debacle. Let's repeal the costly missteps before they hit with full force. Let's make certain we do not simply retreat to an earlier point on the same path to decline. Let's chart a new direction that will restore the promise and prosperity of this exceptional nation - and let's do it together.

jsonline

The proponents of this legislation reject an opportunity society and instead assume you are stuck in your station in life and the role of government is to help you cope with it. Rather than promote equal opportunities for individuals to make the most of their lives, the cradle-to-grave welfare state seeks to equalize the results of people's lives.

absolutely love how he puts this. imo, the reason the republicans have not been successful at the polls is that they have failed to eloquently present this argument in a manner that goes beyond platitudes or catch phrases.

I'd be a lot more willing to listen to this stuff if there hadn't been total inertia between 1994 and 2006 from the Republicans. Coming late to the table bleating about what the Democrats have done is kinda off-key when 12 years went by with zero action other than the Medicare drug benefit that amounted to little more than a big business giveaway.

If the Republicans would get off their collective ass, stop pandering to the idiot wing of their party and actually campaign on something other than NO, they'd be a lot better off.

I'd be a lot more willing to listen to this stuff if there hadn't been total inertia between 1994 and 2006 from the Republicans. Coming late to the table bleating about what the Democrats have done is kinda off-key when 12 years went by with zero action other than the Medicare drug benefit that amounted to little more than a big business giveaway.

If the Republicans would get off their collective ass, stop pandering to the idiot wing of their party and actually campaign on something other than NO, they'd be a lot better off.

Yep. It would be a real challenge to be a moderate Republican these days. They seem to be a threatened species. We have our own loonies, but they don't have NEAR the influence the fringe Right seems to.

What Others Say About the Center

“The invaluable Center on Budget and Policy Priorities … [has] been the go-to resource for consistently reliable analysis on matters of budgets and fiscal policy at every level of government.”

- Vice President Biden

n a political environment rife with ideological warfare and poisoned by partisanship, the Center’s knack for getting things done sets it apart from . . . well, from just about everybody else in Washington.”

- Steven Pearlstein, Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for the Washington Post

“The Center is one of the nation’s premier policy organizations. Its analysis is used by policymakers and nonprofit organizations across the political spectrum.”

- Independent Sector

“Among the alphabet soup of think tanks and partisan advocacy groups covering tax and budget issues, the CBPP has carved out a niche as being socially liberal, fiscally conservative, and academically rigorous.”

- CQ Today

“[F]or more than 20 years [the Center] has established itself as the premier authority on budgetary issues … because its record for scrupulous accuracy is unblemished and because the Center’s work is as carefully consumed by the government officials it watches as by the activists it serves.”

- Tom Oliphant of the Boston Globe

“[The Center’s] statistical work is absolutely impeccable. If you care about [fiscal issues], check CBPP’s site regularly for updates.”

- New York Times columnist Paul Krugman

“[The Center's] experience — focusing on the production of rigorous, high-quality work that is organized around a commitment to low-income citizens — suggests that it is possible to exhibit both commitment and rigor.”

- Beryl Radin, Beyond Machiavelli: Policy Analysis Comes of Age

yeah, OK :wacko:

Yep. It would be a real challenge to be a moderate Republican these days. They seem to be a threatened species. We have our own loonies, but they don't have NEAR the influence the fringe Right seems to.

Ahhh.....who do you think is currently in office? Moderate lefties? The loonies have take control of the Democratic Party already. Take the blinders off.

Edited by tosberg34

Paul Ryan or Jon Corzine will be at the top of the GOP ticket during the next Presidential election.

Corzine ??? I wouldn't elect him to lead a bake sale. Put him up and obama won't even have to campaign

I meant Christie... got my NJ Govs mixed up.

He is slashing and burning to get this piece of shit state i live in out of trouble. He will be one and done here and I think he knows and agrees with that. They are talking about property tax hikes here again and i have to think we are already one of the highest in the country. He is looking to cut teachers pensions and he raised NJ transit (which all NJ people use to get to work in NY) by 30%.

He is slashing and burning to get this piece of shit state i live in out of trouble. He will be one and done here and I think he knows and agrees with that. They are talking about property tax hikes here again and i have to think we are already one of the highest in the country. He is looking to cut teachers pensions and he raised NJ transit (which all NJ people use to get to work in NY) by 30%.

Im starting to really hate living here. I like the state itself. The Shore is great (before the show) The closeness to NYC and all it has to offer is great but it is ridiculously expensive to live here. sometimes i see what you guys in other parts of the Country pay in taxes and what you pay for your houses and I want to puke. My property taxes are 9200 a year on a 7500 sq foot lot. If it werent for my Parents and my wifes dad I wouldnt mind at all moving to another part of the Country. Get me some of that lower cost of living life. I know it is somewhat relative because of earning potential in other parts of the country but dang

Im starting to really hate living here. I like the state itself. The Shore is great (before the show) The closeness to NYC and all it has to offer is great but it is ridiculously expensive to live here. sometimes i see what you guys in other parts of the Country pay in taxes and what you pay for your houses and I want to puke. My property taxes are 9200 a year on a 7500 sq foot lot. If it werent for my Parents and my wifes dad I wouldnt mind at all moving to another part of the Country. Get me some of that lower cost of living life. I know it is somewhat relative because of earning potential in other parts of the country but dang

Not crazy about where I live (SC) but you're right about the taxes. Not to make you puke but I pay $690/yr in property taxes for a 2300 sq/ft home on a .5 acre lot.

Not crazy about where I live (SC) but you're right about the taxes. Not to make you puke but I pay $690/yr in property taxes for a 2300 sq/ft home on a .5 acre lot.

I would like to force you at gunpoint to do a 7 minute single leg wall squat