[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb traded to the Redskins

Menudo

Over the last 4 years here is an out of conference comparison between the NFC East & AFC South:

AFC South = 111-62-0

NFC East = 104-68-1

So, since the original argument was that the NFC East was the dominant division in the NFL, I feel that has been disputed with facts. First, they've only had teams win one Super Bowl win in the last 14 years. That should take care of the individual team dominance. As to the depth dominance, the AFC South has been better over the last 4 years, so, before the NFC East is re-aligned due to their depth and dominance, the AFC South needs to be re-aligned first. :wacko:

there is no doubt how strong the AFC South is....and right now I think it can be debatable as to which division is tougher (AFC South/NFC East)...Jags have a mediocre D and Skins have a strong D.....Jags have a weak OL with a strong run game and good QB while Skins might have a worse OL, but possibly a better overall backfield and better QB....

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly...and if the browns were not in the same division, then the AFC North might be considered the toughest division...

and Bengals were terrible the past 4 years or so up until last year - so the AFC North had 2 very good teams and 2 crappy teams 2 years ago (which is still recent history)...

the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles have all been in the hunt the past 4 years or so and the Skins have occasionally been considered as a favorite to win the division based on the "talent" they have...

the Browns and Bengals haven't been considered any better than 3rd or 4th place in their division until now probably headed into the 2010 division...

and even still, the Browns are terrible and not even as good as the redskins - with or without McNabb at QB...

I never said that the AFC North was better than the NFC East. I honestly never worry about how good the division is, I just worry about how good the Steelers are. You asked a question and I answered it. I'm not even really arguing that the NFC East isn't one of the better divisions. However, to say that they are CLEARLY the best or deepest division during recent years just isn't true. I think you are actually agreeing with me, that they aren't CLEARLY the best division in football recently.

Edited by Menudo

there is no doubt how strong the AFC South is....and right now I think it can be debatable as to which division is tougher (AFC South/NFC East)...Jags have a mediocre D and Skins have a strong D.....Jags have a weak OL with a strong run game and good QB while Skins might have a worse OL, but possibly a better overall backfield and better QB....

What makes you think that the NFC East is even in the argument based on these out-of-conference records ? To me, it is clear that last year, the AFC South was clearly the best, then you have the NFC South, NFC East, AFC North,& AFC East all bunched in at a distant 2nd. This is what I'm saying, all numbers that you come up with says otherwise, but, NFC East fans want me to believe it just because they say it's so.

AFC South: 29-13

NFC South: 23-19

NFC East: 22-19

AFC North: 21-21

NFC North: 20-22

AFC East: 20-22

AFC West: 18-23

NFC West: 12-29

E.T.A. As always Avernus, I'm enjoying the debate. The off-season can be boring.

Edited by Menudo

Super Bowl Wins

Dallas 5

Giants 3

Skins 3

Not bad numbers

I mean. We obviously dont expect the Eagles to help us out in that area but these 3 have put up some numbers to be reckoned with. In the true dominant days of the NFC East Dallas, Washington and The Giants would kill each other all year while the Niners played the Likes of Wichita State.

Super Bowl Wins

Dallas 5

Giants 3

Skins 3

Not bad numbers

I mean. We obviously dont expect the Eagles to help us out in that area but these 3 have put up some numbers to be reckoned with. In the true dominant days of the NFC East Dallas, Washington and The Giants would kill each other all year while the Niners played the Likes of Wichita State.

so the NFCE has won 25% of all the Super Bowls played

That sentence is the equivalent of placing your nuts on Menudo's forehead

So what impact do ya'll think that McNabb will have on Washington's TE situation? Mainly I'm wondering how to value Chris Cooley, as I have him (along with Dallas Clark & Dustin Keller) in a dynasty league. Hard to figure out what Cooley will do, as Fred Davis looked pretty good in his relief.

What a great question. I was really surprised that there wasn't a single response in the 3 following pages. Just a lot of diatribe about the divisions.

I don't know the answer as I don't really know much about McNabb. But I know that Brent Celek came on strong last season and McNabb was a part of that. Though it seemed that Kolb threw more to Celek than did McNabb, but that's just guessing I haven't looked at the numbers.

And I agree, Davis looked really good in relief. Cooley might well have to fight for his starter spot, and it may well depend on who has the better chemistry with McNabb.

Donovan liked LJ Smith and liked Celek as well. Westbrook also took tons of passes over the middle. It kind of seemed like McNabb liked to use his WR's for home run threats, but preferred his TE & RB on the shorter routes. Without a true receiving threat out of the backfield, I looke for the TE's to be used very often. Cooley should be an upper tier TE, and Davis could end up being startable as well in fantasy leagues.

A little bump for the TE's, but clearly the big winner here is Devin Thomas.

Clearly the loser here is the Dallas Cowboys, who know are resigned to having the 4th best QB in the division.

Also, does Malcolm Kelly have any deep sleeper value in dynasty leagues?

I'm holding Devin Thomas on one of my dynasty teams, however, as of last summer:

Roy Williams & Patrick Crayton were above Miles Austin on the Cowboys depth chart, what a difference a year makes.

Bernard Berrian & Percy Harvin were the 2 talked about WRs in Minnesota, yet 1 year later, Sydney Rice has arrived as the go to guy for the Vikings.

Me, I'm betting on Devin Thomas, but with a new coach & a new QB, the status quo might get challenged and allow someone else the opportunity to shine.

My argument wasn't that they aren't the best of the Super Bowl era, but, that aren't CLEARLY the best right now, so much so that divisional re-alignment is necessary.

Hey, the Steelers themselves have won 13.6% of the Super Bowls played, and I could care less whether the rest of the division can help that number or not. :wacko:

My argument wasn't that they aren't the best of the Super Bowl era, but, that aren't CLEARLY the best right now, so much so that divisional re-alignment is necessary.

Hey, the Steelers themselves have won 13.6% of the Super Bowls played, and I could care less whether the rest of the division can help that number or not. :wacko:

In the 70's LA Rams won every divsion title...that would never happen in the NFC East, too much competition.. I like how Menudo only wants to hand pick the last 14 years, and still ignore the Eagles NFC Conernece championship games and looks only at super bowls... Yeah, AZ's division is so hard they go 9-7 and still win the divsion (sarcasm)

Super Bowl Wins

Dallas 5

Giants 3

Skins 3

Not bad numbers

I think the fact they've been on the butt end in 7 SBs also is a tick in their favor - 18 times in a little over 40 yrs the best team in the NFC has been in the East. Roughly 1/3 of all SB opponents have been an NFC East team. AFC South - which to be fair is a new-ish division with two new-ish teams has a grand total of 5. AFC West, which also has claim to being a historical powerhouse division, has 13. AFC North has 10.

I think the fact they've been on the butt end in 7 SBs also is a tick in their favor - 18 times in a little over 40 yrs the best team in the NFC has been in the East. Roughly 1/3 of all SB opponents have been an NFC East team. AFC South - which to be fair is a new-ish division with two new-ish teams has a grand total of 5. AFC West, which also has claim to being a historical powerhouse division, has 13. AFC North has 10.

I don't think anyone would or could question that over the history of the Super Bowl Era, the NFC East has been the best division in the NFL. However, that simply isn't the case right now, nor has it been over the last decade.

What makes you think that the NFC East is even in the argument based on these out-of-conference records ? To me, it is clear that last year, the AFC South was clearly the best, then you have the NFC South, NFC East, AFC North,& AFC East all bunched in at a distant 2nd. This is what I'm saying, all numbers that you come up with says otherwise, but, NFC East fans want me to believe it just because they say it's so.

AFC South: 29-13

NFC South: 23-19

NFC East: 22-19

AFC North: 21-21

NFC North: 20-22

AFC East: 20-22

AFC West: 18-23

NFC West: 12-29

E.T.A. As always Avernus, I'm enjoying the debate. The off-season can be boring.

what time frame are those records compiled from

Hey, the Steelers themselves have won 13.6% of the Super Bowls played, and I could care less whether the rest of the division can help that number or not. :D

:wacko:

Edited by keggerz

what time frame are those records compiled from

:wacko:

I don't even know if I remember. Hey, didn't you see that I was done arguing this. :D

The ones listed on the post you quotes are last year's out of conference record for each division.

In the 70's LA Rams won every divsion title...that would never happen in the NFC East, too much competition.. I like how Menudo only wants to hand pick the last 14 years, and still ignore the Eagles NFC Conernece championship games and looks only at super bowls... Yeah, AZ's division is so hard they go 9-7 and still win the divsion (sarcasm)

Yeah. Cowboys fans never do that :wacko:

McNabb in the 1st press conf with him and shanny was asked if and why the Redskins were his 1st choice to go to...he completely side stepped the question....for those that don't know McNabb has a degree in communications so he does pretty well behind the mike.

also: On why he was traded- "I never knew 33 years old was old, but I guess I'm too old."

when asked what he would say to Philly fans: "thank you..."

Edited by keggerz

Here is how the 4th rounder in 2011 can become a 3rd rounder for the Eagles:

link

The 2011 conditional fourth-round pick that Washington traded to Philadelphia will go to a third-round pick if one of two conditions is met, according to league sources:

• McNabb goes to the Pro Bowl.

• McNabb plays in 70 percent of the Redskins plays and Washington wins nine games.

If either happens, the Eagles get the Redskins third-round pick in 2011 to go along with the second-round pick they got from Washington in the 2010 NFL draft. If not, it stays in the fourth round.

Should McNabb leave Washington after one season, the trade does not include any contingencies in which Washington would not have to surrender its 2011 third- or fourth-round pick.

Edited by keggerz

• 8 months later...
Trading McNabb to a division rival is bad, eh?

Guess Andy knew what he was doing all along.

Very funny thread in hindsight.

This is what happens when you mix an owner like Dan Snyder with a coach like Shanahan. Shanny wants to pick his own players. He had full control in Denver. I'm kind of surprised that he wanted to work for Snyder in the first place.

Here's an interesting read about the whole Shanahan - McNabb relationship.

Here is how the 4th rounder in 2011 can become a 3rd rounder for the Eagles:

link

The 2011 conditional fourth-round pick that Washington traded to Philadelphia will go to a third-round pick if one of two conditions is met, according to league sources:

• McNabb goes to the Pro Bowl.

• McNabb plays in 70 percent of the Redskins plays and Washington wins nine games.

If either happens, the Eagles get the Redskins third-round pick in 2011 to go along with the second-round pick they got from Washington in the 2010 NFL draft. If not, it stays in the fourth round.

Should McNabb leave Washington after one season, the trade does not include any contingencies in which Washington would not have to surrender its 2011 third- or fourth-round pick.

Has McNabb taken 70% of the snaps already? If so the Eagles must be thanking their lucky stars.