[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Netbooks

untateve

My wife is in the market for a netbook. She really only needs one to cruise the web. She may also store pics on it, but nothing else. She won't even need to have a word processing program on it.

She wants a reliable, inexpensive model, that will surf quickly.

I am no computer guru. What does the intelligentsia of thehuddle recommend?

I got this one about 2years ago from New Egg:

MSI WIND.... (no longer available)

It's the perfect travel machine or just moving around the house, but the batt life isn't that great w/ the 3 cell so I bought an extension batt that takes it out to about 5 hours. Some of the newer ones have a much better batt life (6 cells).

MSI WIND NEW...

I have this Asus with a 6 cell battery. Lasts 8 hours easily. I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 Home Premium. Works very well.

Perfect for light browsing, email, and standard definition youtube and such. High def stuff stutters like crazy. The Atom processors these things are using were not fast enough for high def playback. Newer models may have better performance, but I have not kept up with them.

I have two issues with mine.

1) The glossy finish is a fingerprint magnet. I've seen another one recently that had a matte finish, so maybe they've addressed this.

2) Connection for the power brick has become flakey. Could be a bad solder joint or something. One of these days, I should probably open it up and take a look.

I have a HP mini and it's been great. Just make sure you get at least a 6 cell battery if she want's to use it to watch movies on plane trips or wonder without being connected to the wall for 4+ hours. Much other than that, just keep an eye on how big the HD is and stay in the 299 to 399 range unless there is something specific you are looking for and didn't mention.

I bought an Asus Eee PC for about $250 a few months ago, very fast , very light and battery charge lasts about 8 hrs. Just good for web surfing and pic storage, no CD/DVD drive

Bought one of these a couple of months ago. Got the one that converts into a touchscreen tablet. It's great for traveling, just don't expect to do any serious work on it. Email, surfing the net is more it's speed.

I'm pretty sure Asus is the de facto leader of the netbook market in terms of bang for the buck. I bought one for my daughter and she loves it. I'd buy another.

Can you run sites like Hulu or Netflix streaming to an Asus netbook?

Asus is the top dog right now. I bought an Acer last year and it does a very good job. Hulu and Netflix are no problem. The latest Flash update was optimized for the Atom processor that is in most netbooks. I <3 my netbook. I paid around $290.