[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The saga with my builder continues

TimC

Built back in 2006 and had all kinds of problems. Easter comes along and I have the family over. The septic system backs up into the back yard. Yay, fun stuff. I don't know anything about a septic system since I was always on county water instead of living in Egypt. Anyways, I dig a trench to drain the stuff away so the dog doesn't drink it. Ya know, beagles love drinking halfway liquid waste water. Nothing like screaming "He is Risen" at 10:00 at night ankle deep in it. So I call a septic dude. There are really septic people that do nothing but work on septic systems all day...weird. He comes out and says my pump isn't working. He investigates. Turns out the electric guys ran a really nice ($100+) extension cord from the pump to the light fixture in the crawl space under the house. It was on the same circuit as the outdoor plug - which I never use because I only use gas lawn equipment instead of pansy electric ones. The GFI had tripped probably years ago and I never noticed. The sewage had been backing up because the pump wasn't working and it took awhile for it to back up. Also, I didn't have a dedicated breaker on the breaker box for it, which is not code.

I had to take the afternoon off and I called the builder, the electrician, the building inspector. The electrian guys came out and put in a breaker for it. I had no space in the box, which the septic guy said is wrong also. It hasn't been touched since the house was built. Basically no one caught anything, I guess. I filed a formal complaint (my 3rd one) with the building inspector. My builder, who I hate and nearly came to blows with his wife, stopped by around 5:30. He did his normal "I guess the sub did his job correctly". The building inspector will be the judge of that here in a while.

I can't wait for the economy to turn around, sell this place and rent, yes rent, an 800 square foot bungalow off the beach in Florida where I only have to watch the sun rise and set. F'ers.

Anybody wanna buy some sh*t-stained shoes? Cheap. I may send them to Azz and write his Free Leagues Suck team name on it otherwise.

Your electrical guy should also install an alarm for the pump system. It should have a buzzer that goes off when the level in your pump tank rises too high, so that you know that the pump is not working. F'n builder shorted you on that as well.

Sounds like you could have used http://www.angieslist.com/angieslist/

I just heard about this website and will be using it when I need a contractor. Maybe it's not too late to get a new builder out there and fix all the broke stuff?

I have used that for the last three years. $45 / year - no-brainer.

Sounds like you could have used http://www.angieslist.com/angieslist/

I just heard about this website and will be using it when I need a contractor. Maybe it's not too late to get a new builder out there and fix all the broke stuff?

I have used that for the last three years. $45 / year - no-brainer.

Except the ones that are highly rated are really just guys that spend a lot of time on fantasy football message boards and get all their friends to go on-line and vote for them.

Like Perch, I talked to my Dad....he said to go straight to the County Administrator of this hick town and stop screwing around with the Building Inspector. I'm tired of Gubment morans....is there any other kind though?

I still think I should have empty slots in the breaker box and I wonder what the electrician did with the breaker he removed to add in the 20-amp septic one. Hopefully the redneck Administrator knows what he's doing. I'm gonna light this guy up.

Edited by TimC

Your electrician is a bonehead. He's cruisin' for the Whomp/NSab treatment.

#1....who the hell approves wiring for a new house where the box is totally full? There should always be room for expansion later down the road.

#2...brewer is right. That should have been a dedicated line with some sort of alarm.

#3...builders get away with too much crap. He's in cahoots with this bonehead...he'll blame it on the electrician if and only if there is a judgment of fault. Otherwise he's going to play the "looks right to me" card to the hilt. Another popular phrase? "It wasn't in the plans."

#4...now your electrician is a thief. You paid for that electrical cord.....and you'll be paying more for it too.

I'm with your Dad on this one. At this point, the inspector isn't helping. But I'll caution you....if you are truly thinking of selling in the near future, all of this will be in the public records about this house. Three major complaints against a builder in 4 years and the house starts to look like a lemon/money pit.

Problem is timing. If you wait for a judgment to get anything done, you are now risking the health of your family. My honest advice, Tim, is to get with the septic guys and have them fix the problem correctly. At this point, I wouldn't trust your builder to get it right anyway. They'll have to bring in their own electrician, etc., they can suck out your tank, install a new dedicated line and make sure the pump is working. If your electrical box is indeed full, the electrician will install an auxiliary box.

Pay them....then continue suing the builder/electrician.

You'll either win....or not. Either way the work has to get done. Sadly there is little recourse for getting money out of a bad builder. He might just "close up shop" and change his company name and leave you hanging. Happens all the time. :wacko:

Edited by SteelBunz

Like Perch, I talked to my Dad....he said to go straight to the County Administrator of this hick town and stop screwing around with the Building Inspector. I'm tired of Gubment morans....is there any other kind though?

I still think I should have empty slots in the breaker box and I wonder what the electrician did with the breaker he removed to add in the 20-amp septic one. Hopefully the redneck Administrator knows what he's doing. I'm gonna light this guy up.

what county do you live in...i can see if anyone i know in my county knows anyone that can help up in your county

what county do you live in...i can see if anyone i know in my county knows anyone that can help up in your county

Amelia

Who's the builder? (Want to make sure to avoid them...)

Guy is a small builder...only built like 8 houses a year.

Steelbunz...yeah, I don't want to sue the guy, just get it right. It sounds like a fire hazard. The inspector is coming out tomorrow (if I can get out off work) and I need him to look at the breaker box. He's supposed to be a 3rd party independent inspector, I thought. Guy is basically taking the electrician's word. He called and left me a message saying he had talked to the electrician and they told them they'd fix it and "if you still want me to come, let me know". Sigh. I'll probably end up taking your advice and getting someone out here to do it. The pump is now working, but I'm not sure how to make the alarm sound. I've flipped the breaker on the main panel and no alarm and I flipped each of the two breakers in the pump box and still no alarm. I heard it go off once when we first moved in so it used to make a noise. I guess I'll see if dumbass building inspector knows anything. The old building inspector retired....or was forced out, either way he's not here anymore.

Edited by TimC