[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need a new dishwasher

Savage Beatings

For you guys with the Bosch's have you ever had the problem with it smelling really bad (I've read that a couple of times in some user reviews)?

you need to clean out the filter in the bottom that catches all the dank food you shoved in on your dirty plates.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you guys with the Bosch's have you ever had the problem with it smelling really bad (I've read that a couple of times in some user reviews)?

Every once in awhile, the wife says she smells something, but I never do. To my knowledge it hasn't happened in awhile. :wacko: I think it might be the leftover water in the tubing if you don't use it for a few days. I think she just poured a little lemon extract thru the filter to resolve it.

Bosch and Asko both make great DWs. Also, Fisher & Paykel dish drawers are probably the best DW you can buy, imo. Energy efficient, quiet and very convenient with two separate cleaning drawers. Also, the most expensive units, but if you want quality, can't go wrong there. Plus, they're cool.

We have two dishwashers in our kitchen, a Fisherpaykel and Miele and have had good success with both, and both are 7 years old. But, our Miele oven, Miele steaming oven and Miele vacuum cleaner have been awful in performance and repairs, so I would advise to stay away from the Miele brand. Those Germans don't put out the quality they used to. We have a German car and will never buy another German car, until we hear the Q has improved on their autos. Not real happy with our car either.

Back to DW's, both are really quiet. I like the Miele's utensil tray on top. Would like a wine glass stacker. The FP has a wine glass stacker but it sucks. I really loved my Thermador I had in my last two homes--purchased them on my own, but this time around the house we bought came with the appliances installed. BTW, we hardly use the FP because of where it is located in the kitchen, so it is only run when we have a dinner party, so I can't really judge how durable it is. The Miele runs every three days or so.

A friend of mine got a Bosch and had to have it replaced after just 7 years or so.

• 1 year later...
Anyone want to add to this thread? I'm in the market for a dishwasher and the only proviso is that it has to be black to go with the rest of the stuff in the kitchen.

This Whirlpool seems OK. Anyone got one or similar?

I've got a Whirlpool fridge (Jenn Air), microwave (Kitchen Aid) and washing machine (Whirlpool) that have both broken repeatedly in the last five years. I will never buy one of their products again, which is hard because they make evahthing. :wacko:

We've had our Bosch dishwasher for ~6 years with zero problems and it does an awesome job.

Anyone want to add to this thread? I'm in the market for a dishwasher and the only proviso is that it has to be black to go with the rest of the stuff in the kitchen.

Racist

I'm having to replace my Whirlpool dishwasher because the control pad burned out. Come to find out, that is a very common problem with them.

I'd probably avoid those of Haitian lineage and those from West Africa. Southern or Central Africans are great but it takes them time to get used to American customs and technology. Your best bet is probably to go with a dishwasher of Bahamian origin. Great people, good work ethic and with room and board you can probably get away with paying them around $300 a month.

Thanks all (even you, SEC :wacko: )

Looking through dozens of the things, it's amazing how so many, even at the $500 - $600 price point, seem to be missing features such as heated drying, pots and pans cycle and so on. I'm considering a Bosch right now but I'm not close to settling yet.

The Bahamian option sounds really cool............

We have Whirlpool everything - washer, dryer, and fridge (4 years for each now), and dishwasher in the gold series similar to Ursa's link (about 1.5 years). I think they work great and never had a repair issue. The dishwasher is about average for noise, but I'm not willing to pay a grand to get a super quiet machine. No F'n way.

stay away from maytag. my touch pad burned out after just 15mos. and could not be fixed. :wacko:

Our house came with new Maytag appliances. The range and microwave are great, but the dishwasher is crap. Looks great, but leaves gunk encrusted on many items. I'm thinking about replacing it in the near future.

I have a Bosch, came with the house, I'm not overly impressed as it has chipped some dishes. But, the thing is so quiet you don't even know it is on.

some funny posts here ... we looked at the Bosch and it is supposed to be the most quiet. But, I measured the trays that hold the dishes and some models actually hold less dishes. They try to tell you that they are all the same size, but I bummed the sales ladie's measuring tape and proved to her that was not the case. Have an LG and it has been gradually getting louder, but it still cleans well. Will definately try to clean the tray as Jetsfan suggests. My luck, I will mess something up in doing so.

Our house came with new Maytag appliances. The range and microwave are great, but the dishwasher is crap. Looks great, but leaves gunk encrusted on many items. I'm thinking about replacing it in the near future.

My new Maytag gets delivered tomorrow :wacko: . I shopped around and read reviews, but frankly there are so many options and so many reviews that you end up going in circles. The one i picked was on sale and the most machine for the money. We'll see....

eta - I did not purchase the extended warranty but I can add it at any time

:wacko: Dude, your powers memorification are scary sometimes. House of Wing circa 1985.

I thought it was House of Wang.

Whatever you choose....definitely get the quietest one you can afford. I barely know mine is running. A far cry from years ago when you had to leave the kitchen to have a conversation while the DW is on.....lol.

Oh..and oddly enough I've heard lots of headaches about Whirlpool and Maytag DWs and repairs. They do better in other appliances, but for some reason they fall short in DWs. My Frigidaire is super quiet, 4 years old now and seems to do well cleaning, etc. We did have to find a fix online about the door hinge springs. That was the loudest thing in my house. Turns out they make them a bit tight, but some soap on the cord and poof......no noise.

We've had our Bosch DW for 4.5 years. Quiet as a mouse and does a great job on the dishes, glasses, etc.. It does NOT have a food grinder (just a screen filter) so chunky stuff has to be removed prior.(no biggie)

Our Miele dishwasher has not had a repair and cleans the dishes well, but our other Miele appliances have been a nightmare of repairs (steaming oven, regular oven/convection, and vacuum cleaner). We also have a Fisher and Paykel dishwasher but only run it about every two months, but no repairs in 9 years (7 with us and 2 with previous owner). Not much help, but a heads up in regards to Miele products.

Also, poor repair records on our two Subzero fridges for what it's worth for those shopping for a fridge.