[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Legendary Classic Rock compilation

AtomicCEO

I'd have stuck with Us And Them because you're right. And added Comfortably Numb.

From the age when blacks made excellent powerful meaningful music instead of the no-talent dross that is rap, how about Edwin Starr's War and Sly And The Family Stone's Dance To The Music?

Was just gonna say Comfortably Numb one of my favs for sure! 15 year old 11 year old and 2 year old all growing up on the classics and love it :wacko: Don't know if it is quite 50 year old music but anything by Skynyrd is classic to me! Gimme some free bird or simple man any day of the week!! :tup: Kids have been to 10 Skynyrd concerts with me over the years and loved every minute of everyone of them. Red White and Blue baby yaaa!

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just gonna say Comfortably Numb one of my favs for sure! 15 year old 11 year old and 2 year old all growing up on the classics and love it :wacko: Don't know if it is quite 50 year old music but anything by Skynyrd is classic to me! Gimme some free bird or simple man any day of the week!! :tup: Kids have been to 10 Skynyrd concerts with me over the years and loved every minute of everyone of them. Red White and Blue baby yaaa!

Was gonna suggest Skynard as as well. They're hughly overplayed here, but great stuff nonetheless.

When dealing with classic rock, you have to look at the albums as a whole. That is what seperates that music from today's. Today, all you need is a single plus iPod and downloads allow you to just buy one song, so the rest of the album is insignificant. Today;s artists do not have to have an entire album to make a million.

So that being said, why don't you come up with album rankings rather than one song. One song is impossible to rank b/c there are so many good ones.

Not in any order but I would say that the White Album, Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall (too disco), American Beauty, Any early Led Zep album, Van Halen I, Back in Black, there are so many complete albums where 90% of the songs are really good.

There are a ton of great suggestions here and everyone seems to have their favorite Floyd, Zep, Stones etc. songs listed. I think it's just personal taste for determining what to choose. You ask 10 Zep fans to name the bands best song, and you're gonna get 10 different answers(for me it's "Ten Years Gone"). Same goes for almost all the other major bands listed.

Now the one thing I really think you should consider to add, not to replace your list but maybe another little project all together, is the one thing that I really think shined during this time period. That is the Live Album. There are so many great live albums recorded during the 70's. These albums were actually recorded live with mikes just hanging from the rigging and placed in front of the PA's. You truly get a feel for the music and how it connects to the audience. I used to put on my headphones(you have to use headphones for live albums IMO) and listen to hours and hours of great concert memories when I was young. I would stare at the back of the album that usually had a picture of the band onstage, and almost feel like I was there. I think if you could select some nuggets from these albums it would really give your kids an idea on how the music was meant to be played, not on video or glossy highly produced product, but raw and emotional. Get some songs from:

The Who "Live at Leeds"

Cheap Trick "Live at Budakon"

The Allman Brothers "Live at Filmore East"

Peter Frampton "Frampton Comes Alive"

Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous"

Crazy Horse "Live Rust"

Lynrd Skynrd "One More From The Road"

AC/DC "If You Want Blood"

Humble Pie "Rockin' The Filmore"

Deep Purple "Made In Japan"

Zep "Song Remains The Same"

UFO "Strangers In The Night"

Judas Priest "Unleashed in The East"

The Ramones "It's Alive"

Aerosmith "Live Bootleg"

There are more but my brain isn't full booted yet this morning. I'll add later but in this list there are some truly great moments in Rock n Roll history that should be heard by any music lover.

ummmmmmm

Neil Young didn't do Ohio. If yer referring to 4 dead in Ohio. That's CSN&Y

Actually, Neil Young did originally write Ohio and then first recorded it with Crosby Stills and Nash. Along the years Neil also has had several solo recordings of the song Ohio as well.

I chose the most iconic (to me) songs from Doors, Beatles, Stones and Steppenwolf.

Yesterday is not really rock but only their later stuff is on the classic rock channel anyways. The rest are on the oldies station. Because they were arguably the best boy band ever. I believe that Yesterday's been covered more times than any other pop/rock song out there.

Born To Be Wild was the first hard rock song I can remember to hit mainstream. And the first time that the phrase "heavy metal" was uttered in song.

I like Cid's picks but he goes to the fringe too often.

I get the feeling you're making a classic rock "primer" and some of his picks aren't what I considered the ABCs of Classic Rock.

I also wouldn't put Aretha, Sly or Marley on this mix. While their accomplishments are legendary, I just don't consider them Classic Rock.

Actually, Neil Young did originally write Ohio and then first recorded it with Crosby Stills and Nash. Along the years Neil also has had several solo recordings of the song Ohio as well.

I know it's his song but the version we all know and love is with his group. Just to be technical.

These are great, but are they legendary?

ccr - fortunate son

maybe not, but bad moon rising certainly is. also just thought of another good addition to this list, joe cocker singing a little help from my friends.

or instead of re-inventing the wheel, you could just forget this whole project and pick up a used copy of "freedom rock". hey man, is that freedom rock? yeah man. well TURN IT UP, MAN!

I chose the most iconic (to me) songs from Doors, Beatles, Stones and Steppenwolf.

Yesterday is not really rock but only their later stuff is on the classic rock channel anyways. The rest are on the oldies station. Because they were arguably the best boy band ever. I believe that Yesterday's been covered more times than any other pop/rock song out there.

Born To Be Wild was the first hard rock song I can remember to hit mainstream. And the first time that the phrase "heavy metal" was uttered in song.

I like Cid's picks but he goes to the fringe too often.

I get the feeling you're making a classic rock "primer" and some of his picks aren't what I considered the ABCs of Classic Rock.

I also wouldn't put Aretha, Sly or Marley on this mix. While their accomplishments are legendary, I just don't consider them Classic Rock.

Yeah, but I stated what my criteria was and noted that it differed from Atomic's. Besides, I'm just not a mainstream kind of guy.

Yeah, but I stated what my criteria was and noted that it differed from Atomic's. Besides, I'm just not a mainstream kind of guy.

my only problem with your list is that you left OFF a lot of people who "really defined or redirected the musical landscape in some fashion or other" far more than many you included.

I saw Van Halen on someones list, but didn't see Boston mentioned anywhere in this thread yet. Just bringing them up so that you aren't unintentionally missing something.

???