[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An observation about soccer....

Cunning Runt

This is correct.

The moment that offsides was done away with, soccer as we know it would be over. It would turn into a game where 3-4 forwards were kept up by the keeper and the opposing keeper, fullbacks, and midfielders would just keep dumping the ball up to the forwards. Why the hell would anyone want to watch that?

prbobably so but there are some serious flaws with the game of soccer the way it is now

I had to turn off the tv watching Greece and Nigeria this morning - just a fn joke

evidently there was a sniper in the stadium and he was having his way picking off the greeks one by one - not sure how some of those guys finished the game

so lame I don't even know where to start - players flopping and fallling down all over the field with acting that would make Sally Field proud, stoppages in play, just no flow at all to the game

the rest of the world can have it

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- players flopping and fallling down all over the field with acting that would make Sally Field proud, stoppages in play, just no flow at all to the game

You're a big NBA fan, IIRC, yes? Does the above quote sound familiar to you?

You're a big NBA fan, IIRC, yes? Does the above quote sound familiar to you?

not a fan of flopping in the NBA either, but they are doing a good job of not rewarding it, and getting rid of it- and it is not even close to being as bad as soccer

Even soccerheads have to admit it is embarassing and hard to watch all the flopping in a soccer game

Tonights C's/LA is UGLY no question - but it is because both teams are digging and playing their asses of on D - there is no flopping going in in this slugfest.........

Its amazing its scraped by as the world's most popular sport for 147 years, isn't it?

Let's be real, here... Saying that soccer is the world's most popular sport is like saying that rice is the world's most popular food... doesn't really prove anything, except the fact that a large part of the world doesn't have much choice in the matter. I think there are a number of factors that contribute to soccer being as popular, worldwide, as it is. One of those is simply that a very large percentage of our world consists of third-world nations, and soccer can be played pretty much anywhere, with or without any "equipment." In other words, find an open space, a somewhat round object, and stick four posts in the ground, and you've got what you need for a soccer game. Don't get me wrong... I'm neither a soccer hater or a die-hard fan, and I'm not trying to bash the sport by saying it's too "simple." All I'm saying is that a makeshift soccer game can be created pretty easily, which contributes to its world-wide popularity.

Let's be real, here... Saying that soccer is the world's most popular sport is like saying that rice is the world's most popular food... doesn't really prove anything, except the fact that a large part of the world doesn't have much choice in the matter. I think there are a number of factors that contribute to soccer being as popular, worldwide, as it is. One of those is simply that a very large percentage of our world consists of third-world nations, and soccer can be played pretty much anywhere, with or without any "equipment." In other words, find an open space, a somewhat round object, and stick four posts in the ground, and you've got what you need for a soccer game. Don't get me wrong... I'm neither a soccer hater or a die-hard fan, and I'm not trying to bash the sport by saying it's too "simple." All I'm saying is that a makeshift soccer game can be created pretty easily, which contributes to its world-wide popularity.

Field, stick, ball and you have a baseball game, yet it is really only popular here, some parts of South America and Japan.Just saying relative simplicity and lack of need for equipment may only be a partial reason at best.

A perfect example of why offsides is a stupid rule in soccer to begin with.

Sorry, soccer purists, you're not convincing me at all.

I am not a soccer purist, in fact I rarely watch it, but wasnt this a penalty, not an offisides call?

A perfect example of why offsides is a stupid rule in soccer to begin with.

Sorry, soccer purists, you're not convincing me at all.

Well, it's actually a perfect example of an official screwing up.

If I showed you a video of an ump botching a strike call would that be justification for doing away with the strike zone?

Well, it's actually a perfect example of an official screwing up.

If I showed you a video of an ump botching a strike call would that be justification for doing away with the strike zone?

Not even close to the same in the context of this discussion.

Field, stick, ball and you have a baseball game, yet it is really only popular here, some parts of South America and Japan.Just saying relative simplicity and lack of need for equipment may only be a partial reason at best.

I agree... Like I said, there are a number of factors contributing to its popularity. The simplicity of it (not the simplicity of the rules/stragey of soccer, but rather the equipment needed) is definitely part of it, though. You have a point with baseball, but I'll still make the argument that, if you stick me in a random place (whether it be a field, desert, parking lot, or street), I can make or find what is necessary for a soccer game easier than for a baseball game. But, I get your point... my theory could be used in other sports as well.

I just think that the "soccer is the most popular sport in the world" statement is a bit overused, that's all. A lot of other games can't really be manipulated in that same way... you have to have the specific equipment necessary, to play certain sports. On the other hand, the simplicity of soccer (once again, I'm strictly speaking in terms of what is needed to play) might also be part of what makes it so special, on a global level. Nations coming together to watch a game that is played on a field, with nothing more than a ball. No sticks, no pads (for the most part, at least not like hockey or American football pads), no gloves (except the goalie, and it wouldn't be that hard to play without them), skates, helmets, etc. Definitely unique, in that sense. It's also unique, as others have mentioned, in terms of what determines which team is in control of the game. In other words, we as Americans are used to watching games in which the scoreboard is all you really need to look at, to see who's in control. Soccer is on a different level, in that sense... You have to look much more closely than just the scoreboard, to identify who's got the upper hand. That's something that a lot of people (including myself admittedly) have a tough time getting a mental grasp of, especially if they haven't played much soccer themselves.

So, gopher, perhaps it is the simplicity and lack of required equipment that makes the game accessible to people of all ethnic/national backgrounds, economic status, etc. that drives it;s popularity. To me, that would explain popularity at a low level, but, played at the highest levels, it is still the most popular sport worldwide with top level leagues throughout Europe and South America, MLS emerging, and strong teams in Asia and Africa, though not neccessarily leagues.

I would think baseball could reach this level for similar factors, however, Europe as well as Australia/New Zealand play cricket which is abouot the closest we get, and then you have rugby/Aussie Rules Football that compete with American football.

So, to be perfectly clear, I too find basketball and American Football more enjoyable to watch, but I have a growing appreciation of soccer. Part of it is likely due to my British heritage and thus talking about the Premier League with family over there, giving me insight into some of the strategies.

Regarding offsides, etc., I'm sure many of our sports have rules that seem odd or pointless when viewed by others less familiar with the sport, be it 3 in the key in basketball, holding in football etc

Baseball needs a bat, ball and every player also must have a glove, and it isn't as easy to find terrain as it is to play soccer. Also, the rules are incredibly confusing to newcomers. Give a couple kids a ball and say kick it between those rocks is just a bit easier.

I've tried. I really have. I have some friends that went on to play soccer in college and ultimately in Europe. My oldest friend is a soccer-nut since birth. Seattle got a team last year that gets 30,000+ every home game. I have tried and tried to watch soccer with an open mind and tried to like it. It is f'n boring!! I understand the purity. I understand and appreciates the athleticism it takes. I think the athletes themselves are fantastic and can do amazing things. That said, unless it is a USA World Cup match, it is f'n boring.

Maybe those of us who are more endeared to basketball than any other sport are less likely to enjoy soccer. I'm a bit put to sleep by baseball, but soccer is almost painful. Unless nude coeds are involved, any activity that ends in a 1-1 draw as often as it doesn't is f'n boring.

Oops, almost forgot about the offsides part. I would personally watch more soccer if there were more goals scored. Don't know how else I could put it.

Edited by Seahawks21

oh good lord, do away with offsides in soccer? are you kidding me? lets do away with it in hockey while we're at it, and lets do away with offsides in football and give one side the major advantage over the other. what the hell? i 100% understand why someone who doesnt WATCH soccer, wants to do away with the offsides.

And for the record, in the US game, it wasnt an OFFSIDES that kept the US from scoring the winner, it was a foul. Nice try on that one :wacko:

Baseball needs a bat, ball and every player also must have a glove, and it isn't as easy to find terrain as it is to play soccer. Also, the rules are incredibly confusing to newcomers. Give a couple kids a ball and say kick it between those rocks is just a bit easier.

I've tried. I really have. I have some friends that went on to play soccer in college and ultimately in Europe. My oldest friend is a soccer-nut since birth. Seattle got a team last year that gets 30,000+ every home game. I have tried and tried to watch soccer with an open mind and tried to like it. It is f'n boring!! I understand the purity. I understand and appreciates the athleticism it takes. I think the athletes themselves are fantastic and can do amazing things. That said, unless it is a USA World Cup match, it is f'n boring.

Maybe those of us who are more endeared to basketball than any other sport are less likely to enjoy soccer. I'm a bit put to sleep by baseball, but soccer is almost painful. Unless nude coeds are involved, any activity that ends in a 1-1 draw as often as it doesn't is f'n boring.

Oops, almost forgot about the offsides part. I would personally watch more soccer if there were more goals scored. Don't know how else I could put it.

how can you say "any activity that ends in a 1-1 draw as often as it doesnt"? around the world, in the major leagues like the EPL and Spanish Primera League and Serie A in Italy, the teams that are vying for the championship are winning a very large percentage of their games, and the teams at the bottom are losing a very large percentage of their games. This goes across the board. You have to grasp that in world cup play the teams for the most part are more evenly matched than the top team in the English league vs the bottom team in the English league. More even teams means more even games means more chances for ties. Besides, when it gets to the round of 16 and there are teams in extra time fighting for the winning goal or in PK's at the end, everyone will be allover it about how exciting soccer is.

So, gopher, perhaps it is the simplicity and lack of required equipment that makes the game accessible to people of all ethnic/national backgrounds, economic status, etc. that drives it;s popularity. To me, that would explain popularity at a low level, but, played at the highest levels, it is still the most popular sport worldwide with top level leagues throughout Europe and South America, MLS emerging, and strong teams in Asia and Africa, though not neccessarily leagues.

I would think baseball could reach this level for similar factors, however, Europe as well as Australia/New Zealand play cricket which is abouot the closest we get, and then you have rugby/Aussie Rules Football that compete with American football.

So, to be perfectly clear, I too find basketball and American Football more enjoyable to watch, but I have a growing appreciation of soccer. Part of it is likely due to my British heritage and thus talking about the Premier League with family over there, giving me insight into some of the strategies.

Regarding offsides, etc., I'm sure many of our sports have rules that seem odd or pointless when viewed by others less familiar with the sport, be it 3 in the key in basketball, holding in football etc

you're so spot on. I think the biggest thing people in other countries wonder about FOOTBALL is, WHY the HELL are they carrying the freakin ball?!!? It's "throwball" to many.

Like a lot of Americans, I find soccer to be pretty boring due to the lack of scoring. My kids have played and I like watching them play just fine though.

One thing I'd like to see different in soccer is the offsides rule. My personal opinion is that there shouldn't be one. My understanding is that an offensive player cannot be behind the defense (goalie not included) before the ball is kicked. To me, the offensive player should be able to go wherever he/she wants as I consider it to be the defense's responsibility to make sure the offensive player is checked - more like the NBA in this regard. As it is now, the defense can play up and the offense has to play to where the defense is playing. I've always thought the offensive players should have free reign and the defense should have to be the ones to make the extra effort. The field itself plays defense in soccer. Don't like that at all.

More fast breaks would lead to a lot more scoring and presumably more excitement.

It's not gonna change - I get that, but the lack of scoring is certainly one of the reasons this American hasn't been able to embrace it. I think eliminating offsides would make it a much more exciting game.

Just my :wacko:

if you look at a goal like mexico's first against france, you can see a perfect example of a player knowing when he is offsides or onsides, and the guy with the ball kicking it at just the right moment. javier hernandez was running full on towards the goalie, and his teammate kicked the ball far over the defenders, and its the defenses responsibility at that point to mark their man and cover him. they didnt and he broke free for a goal. the defense cant just play wherever they want and the offense has to adjust to them. rather, defenders must mark forwards/wingers/strikers and stay with them.

how can you say "any activity that ends in a 1-1 draw as often as it doesnt"? around the world, in the major leagues like the EPL and Spanish Primera League and Serie A in Italy, the teams that are vying for the championship are winning a very large percentage of their games, and the teams at the bottom are losing a very large percentage of their games. This goes across the board. You have to grasp that in world cup play the teams for the most part are more evenly matched than the top team in the English league vs the bottom team in the English league. More even teams means more even games means more chances for ties. Besides, when it gets to the round of 16 and there are teams in extra time fighting for the winning goal or in PK's at the end, everyone will be allover it about how exciting soccer is.

Oops, I meant 1-0. My bad.

The point about offsides isn't as much of thinking it is a stupid rule as it is thinking how much more scoring there would be if they were to eliminate it.

Penalty kicks are exciting but aren't really a part of soccer outside of these kinds of tournaments. 99 out of 100 times in soccer when a game is tied with ten minutes left, it doesn't make it any more or less exciting. It is going to end in a draw. 99 out of 100 times. What fun is that? A draw? Ugggh. Exciting!!

The point about offsides isn't as much of thinking it is a stupid rule as it is thinking how much more scoring there would be if they were to eliminate it.

Penalty kicks are exciting but aren't really a part of soccer outside of these kinds of tournaments. 99 out of 100 times in soccer when a game is tied with ten minutes left, it doesn't make it any more or less exciting. It is going to end in a draw. 99 out of 100 times. What fun is that? A draw? Ugggh. Exciting!!

And hockey is different how?