[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How long do you want to live?

Thews40

How long is too long?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you want to live

• less than 70
    • 70-75
    • 75-80
    • 80-85
    • 85-90
    • 90-100
    • over 100
    • Set the record for world's oldest person

In reading this, it said light drinkers outlive abstainers. Not sure what constitutes a "light" drinker, but the real question is how long do you want to stay alive? If you live in Hawaii the average is 81.3 years. Not so good in Mississippi and Louisiana where you can only expect to live to 74.2. My wife's grandmother is about to turn 92 and her Alzheimer’s is so bad she can't remember things for longer than ten minutes. My father died at 80 in his sleep and in looking back at his life, it's what he wanted, because he was always worried he'd be a burden at some point. He didn't outlive any of his five kids or many Grandkids, and again that's what he wanted. Just curious, if you got to pick now, what would be long enough?

11. Light drinkers outlive abstainers

By now, the world has heartily embraced the truism that red wine is a health beverage: Wine drinkers live 4.7 years longer than nondrinkers and 2.5 years longer than those who drink other forms of alcohol. This is possibly due to resveratrol, an antimicrobial phytoalexin found in dark grape skins which, in experiments, extends the lives of monkeys and fruit flies. But it may surprise you to learn that men who consume 20 grams—about two drinks' worth—of any kind of alcohol daily have a 25 percent lower mortality risk than male nondrinkers. In moderation, "drinking relieves stress," Zeines says. "It's not always toxic, any more than oxygen is always toxic."

(Source: Martinette Streppel et al. (2009): Long-term wine consumption is related to cardiovascular mortality and life expectancy independently of moderate alcohol intake: the Zutphen Study, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 63, 534-540.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see a point where you just get tired of all the BS, especially as you get older and lose what little control you had over your life to begin with. All things considered, I'd like to live into my 80's although I'm drinking like 97 is my goal.

My goal isn't an age, but rather the quality of life I can lead, for both myself and those that may have to care for me.

When I start forgetting who people are, have recurring major health issues, and the like, I'd just as soon not go through that - be it at 65 or 95. That said, my children are not old enough to be married or have kids of their own, but I'd at least like to make it long enough to see those things happen.

Oh... and I tell my wife that when I get to the age that I think wearing white socks with black dress shoes is the way to go, put me down.

My goal isn't an age, but rather the quality of life I can lead, for both myself and those that may have to care for me.

When I start forgetting who people are, have recurring major health issues, and the like, I'd just as soon not go through that - be it at 65 or 95. That said, my children are not old enough to be married or have kids of their own, but I'd at least like to make it long enough to see those things happen.

Oh... and I tell my wife that when I get to the age that I think wearing white socks with black dress shoes is the way to go, put me down.

wurd

my life partner and i have the "no butt wiping clause in our contract"

it all depends on your quality of life. if i can get around comfortably, not sh1t and piss on myself, and remember my kids names; then i want to live as long as i can.

if im miserable by 70, take me out back and shoot me.

If you guys line up right I can get you and the rabbit in one shot.

I figured when I become a burden to my kids or wife (if I outlive her) that I would get in a sailboat an just head for the open sea. That is if I remember this when I am at that point. :wacko:

My wife just read what I wrote and said she will buy me a sailboat today and I can head for the open seas tomorrow. :tup:

My wife just read what I wrote and said she will buy me a sailboat today and I can head for the open seas tomorrow. :wacko:

No need to buy one... I understand that there is a nice 76 footer called "Isabelle" docked in Rhode Island.

I said less than 70. I feel like I've already lived 3 or 4 lifetimes with all the moves/relationships/travel/etc. I've done and seen a lot already. I don't want to live with chronic pain or have someone changing my Depends for me every day.

I want to live to the point that if we were in caveman days I would have died because I couldn't keep up with the tribe or would have gotten eaten by a lion. Back then they let didn't try to pump you full of crap to keep your heart beating, they let you die with dignity.

Happy Thursday everyone!

Another vote for, I don't care when it happens age wise. I just don't want to be drooling and sitting in a chair talking to the wall and crapping my pants. My wife jokes about how, "someday we're going to have to start wiping each other's asses", but I truly hope it never comes to that.

Both of us stay pretty healthy, so I imagine that we'll live pretty long. If I can do it on my terms, we'll be living out in the middle of nowhere, growing our own food and such. We don't have kids, so there'll be nobody to worry about the fact that we should be in some old folk's home. If I keel over and die while plowing the back 40, my wife (who's older than I am but likely to outlive me anyway) can just chop me up and put me in the compost.

I want to live until the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl or I set the record for the longest living person. Which ever comes first.

I thought a Sox fan would say Cubs and the World Series there.

This

or black socks and sandals.