[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's not drafting Brees

Brentastic

I rarely draft a QB early enough to get a Brees caliber QB, but if I were in that position, I'd avoid him like the plague. I don't have to make sense of how a curse is possible, I just recognize that it's evident. I'm honestly surprised that players are willing to be on the cover. The track record is too phenominal to discount.

I don't have to make sense of how a curse is possible, I just recognize that it's evident.

:wacko:

I've had way too much success in not filling the QB position so early.

I drafted Big Ben in 2007 in the 8th round, he was a top 5 QB that year

I drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2008 in the 9th round, he was a top 3 QB that year

I drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2009 in the 4th round (when there were a lot of trap RBs and WRs being taken), he was the highest scoring player in FF last year.

I doubt I will draft Drew Brees this year because I probably wont spend a late first/early 2nd pick on him amongst experienced FF players. In my local league I'd expect Brees to go early first.

His draft position probably won't be worth his value in respect to other QBs, so I doubt I get him. Not drafting him will have nothing to do with a phenomenal/evident curse that can't be explained.

:wacko:

I've had way too much success in not filling the QB position so early.

I drafted Big Ben in 2007 in the 8th round, he was a top 5 QB that year

I drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2008 in the 9th round, he was a top 3 QB that year

I drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2009 in the 4th round (when there were a lot of trap RBs and WRs being taken), he was the highest scoring player in FF last year.

I doubt I will draft Drew Brees this year because I probably wont spend a late first/early 2nd pick on him amongst experienced FF players. In my local league I'd expect Brees to go early first.

His draft position probably won't be worth his value in respect to other QBs, so I doubt I get him. Not drafting him will have nothing to do with a phenomenal/evident curse that can't be explained.

This year it'll be someone like Flacco, Kolb or Palmer.

I rarely draft a QB early enough to get a Brees caliber QB, but if I were in that position, I'd avoid him like the plague. I don't have to make sense of how a curse is possible, I just recognize that it's evident. I'm honestly surprised that players are willing to be on the cover. The track record is too phenominal to discount.

agree 100%

I did roll the dice with Fitz last year...but there were 2 guys on the cover. I just had to pick the right one. :wacko:

Fox Moulder?

I think with Brees that its not the 'curse' folk need to worry about, but the continued distractions with the oil spill and getting kicked in the balls again. Something like that can pull you together or hurt you and I just see them as having one hundred times further to fall than they have to climb - so even if its 50:50 that the distraction will be positive or negative - the payoff is likely to be disproportionate.

I also worry about the cumulative health effects that the spill might have on people in the Gulf over time - similar to how the smog played a role in the Beijing Olympics. Its not far fetched to see how its effects could potentially leave a handful of players a quarter step slower or worse. I know that the Saints play in-doors - but toxins (oils, dispersants and God knows what more) could potentially work their way into everything - especially if water that reflects sunlight a little less because of tiny black dropplets floating on tits surface, causes a storm season that is a little more active than normal.

I pray that I am being silly with this - but it was enough for me to flip Brees and Witten for Romo and Boldin in one of the leagues I am in.

Drew Brees and the Saints had a wonderful year last season. I think it's only natural to expect a bit of a drop-off from both the team and Brees this season. He's still the #1 Fantasy QB IMO with Rodgers a very, very close 2nd, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him fall short of the numbers he's put up over the last couple of seasons.

It's a very legit point brentastic! It's out there for sure and those who deny it haven't learned the hard way yet. I say you still gotts to draft him though as long as you get a great back up to go with him! Now the only question is which week does he go down? Or maybe his receivers get hurt and he passes for a lot less yards and td's??? Who knows??? Either way a lot of people may look back to your posting if something does go down :wacko:

This has nothing to do with if he'll suffer a small drop off and everything to do with historical evidence that there is something to being on the Madden cover and getting hurt. I think if you draft him this year you're nuttier than squirrel diaper dirt.

I think lol and hope the owners in my league feel similar. I'll throw some salt over my shoulder, avoid black cats, and get over having Brees as my QB, if I can land him.

Have him as my QB in a dynasty league so I guess I should trade him for a rookie pick in 2011 :wacko:

In redrafts...there is no way in hell I will get him. I never get the sexy QB's as I like to take my QB in rounds 5-8 depending on how the draft is going. In my auction league, he'll be way too expensive as well. I just think there is always tremendous value in the QB position that is available later and/or cheaper.

I just think there is always tremendous value in the QB position that is available later and/or cheaper.

There sure is, but there is also a lot of pure busts. For every Flacco, Schaub, Orton or E. Manning that ourperformed his ADP last year, there was a Delhomme, Hasselback, Ryan, Bulger or Cutler that underperformed. Its a toss up that you have to hope falls your way.

I'm not going to overpay for a Brees or Rodgers, but I'm making sure I grab a Brady/Manning/Rivers/Schaub in rounds 3 or 4 to make as sure as I can that the QB spot isn't going to be a weekly carousel of playing the match-up. With so many teams using RBBC, and deeper pools of WRs than ever before, the crapshoot of which RB2/WR2 will be a stud is harder than ever to decipher.

I'd be happy to take a no-brainer QB in rounds 3-4, then just continue the crapshoot for my other positions a round later.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

I'd be happy to take a no-brainer QB in rounds 3-4, then just continue the crapshoot for my other positions a round later.

FWIW, I took Romo at 3.4 in one league & Schaub at 4.2 in another. Both were unusually high QB picks for me, even for 16 team leagues. I typically won't take one before the 8th round.

FWIW, I took Romo at 3.4 in one league & Schaub at 4.2 in another. Both were unusually high QB picks for me, even for 16 team leagues. I typically won't take one before the 8th round.

I think you did yourself a favor.

Who would you have taken at 4.2 instead of Schaub? I am guessing this is a 12 team league, so it was the 38th overall pick? That means you likely passed on the 20th'ish RB, or the 13-15th WR....guys in my mind who aren't all that different than the 23rd-25th RB, or the 17th-20th WR, who you'll get a crack at in the next round, when other teams are taking Joe Flacco/Matt Ryan/etc.

I think you did yourself a favor.

Who would you have taken at 4.2 instead of Schaub? I am guessing this is a 12 team league, so it was the 38th overall pick? That means you likely passed on the 20th'ish RB, or the 13-15th WR....guys in my mind who aren't all that different than the 23rd-25th RB, or the 17th-20th WR, who you'll get a crack at in the next round, when other teams are taking Joe Flacco/Matt Ryan/etc.

Both 16 team leagues...

With Schaub at that point I was looking at top tier DE's & TE's. TE's do score well in our league, but I had already taken Vernon Davis in the 3rd. LB's had already gotten into 2nd-3rd tier & RB's were already getting scarce.

Romo, I'm not quite as happy about the pick. There were still a couple of top tier LBs available as well as Pierre Thomas, Shonn Green etc. I probably should have gone Beason there & ended up with Maybe Eli or Matt Ryan with the next pick. Quite a few of the better LBs came off the board before my next pick & as a result my next two rounds went offense as well (Ronnie Brown & Percy Harvin) due to the depth left there there. Still, I trust myself more to fill holes on defense during the season than I would offensive players.

Both 16 team leagues...

With Schaub at that point I was looking at top tier DE's & TE's. TE's do score well in our league, but I had already taken Vernon Davis in the 3rd. LB's had already gotten into 2nd-3rd tier & RB's were already getting scarce.

Romo, I'm not quite as happy about the pick. There were still a couple of top tier LBs available as well as Pierre Thomas, Shonn Green etc. I probably should have gone Beason there & ended up with Maybe Eli or Matt Ryan with the next pick. Quite a few of the better LBs came off the board before my next pick & as a result my next two rounds went offense as well (Ronnie Brown & Percy Harvin) due to the depth left there there. Still, I trust myself more to fill holes on defense during the season than I would offensive players.

I actually have Romo ranked in my top 5 this year - I think you are going to like having him this season.

Schaub is still way undervalued, I've seen him regularly go in the fourth or fifth round for a top 5 QB :wacko:

He's been injured every year except last year so he's going too early for me. He still takes too many hits to go that early.

I'll try for this years Matt Schaub instead. Flacco looks better to me this year.

I actually have Romo ranked in my top 5 this year - I think you are going to like having him this season.

I purposefully rank my QBs about a round lower than the average just so I don't get tempted to take one too early. If one is still there with my pick then I feel like I got a steal, if not then I'll typically fall back to my preferred drafting practice & take one around the 8th round. I just don't like taking QBs early, I've been burned bad before. But on the flip side I've gotten some very solid QBs in the latter rounds & played the match-ups well.

Add me to the list of owners who won't even consider taking Brees or any QB in the top 3 or 4 rounds - UNLESS it's a league where we can start 2 QBs.

There's too much quality available at the QB position to use an early pick on a position where drafting a guy ranked 6 or 7 spots lower will be the difference of maybe 3 or 4 FF points on average.

Add me to the list of owners who won't even consider taking Brees or any QB in the top 3 or 4 rounds - UNLESS it's a league where we can start 2 QBs.

I doubt I draft Brees, but I'm not on that particular list.

Edited by bushwacked