[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk Chicago WR's

SheikYerbuti

Looking like Hester, Knox and Aroma are all seeing the same # of targets in the preseason. Knox has a hammy issue. Aroma is pushing Hester. The coaching staff says they're all starter material. Rank their projected production this year, and why.

I think the Bear receivers has at least one fantasy #3 among them. Which one gets a bit tougher, owing mostly to inexperience and the Martz system itself. The sack issue will sort itself out. The Martz offense has always seemed to expose the QB to a good deal of punishment and the Bear linemen have not exactly given the Grabowskis anything to be proud of lately.

Gun to my head;

1. Knox

2. Hester ( if you play PPR )

3. Aromshodu

Knox should be the man in this style offense, he is a decent route runner with ok but not blinding speed and seemingly reliable hands. Needs to get better at beating the jam at the line

Hester sees a lot of passes thrown his way ( 57 rec last year on 91 targets 52 the yer before on 92 targets 757 and 665 yards respectively and 3 TDs ech year ) He is more of the hit him in stride and he can make something happen guy. If nothing else ~55 rec and 750 yards is at least useful in PPR.

Aromashodu is my favorite but there is no telling on how/when he will emerge. He too needs to work at getting off th eline versus physical CBs. I can see him over shadowing Hester if he puts it all together and gets playing time. He has the big body ( 6'2" 215 lbs as opposed to Knox 6'0" 180 lbs ) to win the battle for jump balls in the end zone. He has show in somewhat limited action reliable hands. He is raw but could be huge in a system that chucks the ball everywhere.

IF the line can give Cutler even a bit of time to throw or scramble and throw.

IF you play PPR and have a deep enough bench they are definitely worth a flier.

Cutler only has eyes for Knox . . and he is running VERY crisp routes. Something that hester will NEVER get a grasp on. Aroma is very trendy, but there have been local questions about he having huge struggles in picking up the affense.

Knox will make a fine Wr 3 . . especially in a PPR. But the other two would be hard pressed to be counted on.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - Hester is a CB disguised as a WR. After all this time in the NFL his route running is still lousy, he makes poor in-air adjustments, and he will not fight for a ball. He has tremendous straight line speed and he is superb in the open field after the catch, but those attributes only get you so far against NFL DBs. He was also personally responsible for a few of Cutler's INTs last year because of his negative attributes. Now in a Martz O, those negatives become much more amplified because he's got to run routes on the money and is expected to be at a specific spot when the ball arrives.

The WR that the Martz system does emphasize is a guy like Knox. His routes are sterling, he can read DB coverage, he will get into tangles to fight for footballs, and his hands are good enough that he'll make some catches the average WR won't. He isn't a superstar, but he is a WR that makes his QB look better. That's why Cutler trusts him and he has become Cutler's favorite.

Aroma also is a better WR than Hester from a technical standpoint and fits the Martz system better than Hester's straightline speed. He's not as good as Knox, but he fits in the slot well in that he creates mismatches, and the slot isn't a bad spot to be in when playing in a Martz O.

I see Hester's ability to stretch the field keeping him starting at one WR spot, since drawing out the FS is important and Cutler has the arm to reach him on long routes, meaning the DBs have to honor his deep patterns completely. But I see Knox as the go-to guy and Aroma as ending the season with more targets playing out of the slot - getting more receptions, receiving yards, and possibly more receiving TDs than Hester by the time the year is over. I'd rank them: 1) Knox, 2) Aroma, 3) Hester.

And while the Bears' O-line isn't great, don't forget that this offense doesn't require the standard 4 seconds to throw the ball. There is a lot of 3 step/5 step drop patterns, and even the seven step drop patterns get off more quickly because the QB isn't waiting for the WR to break open. The ball is supposed to be in the air as the WR is breaking open.

Knox's ADP is around 95/96 which puts him around the 7.9 pick in a 12 teamer. Personally I have the #1 pick in my main local and I plan on picking him up at the 6/7 turn to make sure I get him. I think that is good value. I watch as much Bear football as I can and Knox just looks like a talented WR that is in an offense that will highlight his skills. For a 7th round pick I think he will definitely outperform and be a solid WR3 in a PPR.

We really just don't know.

My; son and I made 4 trips down to Bourbonnais, and still really don't know.

Aromashadu looked reallly good at times, and Cutler has always liked him.

Johnny has the speed and gets good reviews.

Devin.... ah..yes... we wish he could have returned kickoffs forever, but I guess I'm expecting this

year from him to be similar to last year.

And.... don't forget Earl Bennett entirely. He will catch some balls, and also Greg Olsen will line up where he can catch some.

I am not willing to gamble on any of my precious Bear receivers yet.

Knox and Aromashadu in somewhat later rounds, yes, but not early. Hopefully next year, early rounds. I really hope.

How about this stat...

A Mike Martz offense has had a top 10 FF WR every year but one ('02-'03; THolt 91 1302 and 4) . Someone in that WR core will be of great value. I'm considering trying to go after Knox and Aromashadu in my deep keeper draft this weekend. I agree that Hester just isn't a WR.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

And while the Bears' O-line isn't great, don't forget that this offense doesn't require the standard 4 seconds to throw the ball. There is a lot of 3 step/5 step drop patterns, and even the seven step drop patterns get off more quickly because the QB isn't waiting for the WR to break open. The ball is supposed to be in the air as the WR is breaking open.

I've seen our qb's killed by martz system many times, don't kid yourself thinking otherwise. Martz is known for high sack totals...

I do like Knox a good bit, but I'll stick by my claim that Hester could turn out to be real good in the Martz system.

I don't have much confidence in Aromashodu, but wouldn't be too shocked if he performed well.

Hester could be like what Az Hakim was for the Rams, but with less production imo

Good stuff here. Knox will have value I believe but let's not forget the chemistry Cutler had with DA last year. His numbers in the games he played were more than solid AND Cutler couldn't stop raving about the guy while he was hurt, wanting him to get on the field real badly.

I think Hester will put up numbers here and there but I'd take my chances on DA and Knox to put up consistent numbers. Bennett has the Vandy connection but has had a tough time adjusting to the pro level and Martz's playbook. If you can grab DA or Knox, you should be in for a treat.

Also, everyone keeps knocking on Olsen's place in Martz's system but the thing that is being overlooked is Cutler and Olsen are extremely close and their chemistry is solid. I figure if Olsen will be used, we will see a lot of him in the first two games or so. If we don't see anything, then it might be a long season for Olsen owners.

Edited by Goopster24