[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Math Problem

matt770

My wife is asking me:

If I can get 8.25MT of a product on a 2400 cu. ft. trailer, how many MTs of product could I get on a 5650 cu. ft. railcar?

Anyone know how to find this?

5650/2400 * 8.25 = 19.42 MT

:wacko:

I don't believe there is enough information to get a definitive answer. If you are just looking for an equivalent amount of product then I would think the answer would be 2.354 x 8.25MT or 19.422MT. However, the nature of the product may not allow for simple math to be used.

Could be way wrong here, but that's my :wacko:

5650/2400 * 8.25 = 19.42 MT

I got the same with a different formula and explained it to her this way:

Divide 8.25 by 2400 and you get .0034375. So you can get .0034375 of a MT per one cu. ft. You then multiply .0034375 by 5650 to get 19.421875.

My wife's company works with granular product like silica and calcium carbonate, so the simple formula should be fine.

Thanks you :tup: 's

My wife is asking me:

If I can get 8.25MT of a product on a 2400 cu. ft. trailer, how many MTs of product could I get on a 5650 cu. ft. railcar?

Anyone know how to find this?

I don't believe there is enough information to get a definitive answer. If you are just looking for an equivalent amount of product then I would think the answer would be 2.354 x 8.25MT or 19.422MT. However, the nature of the product may not allow for simple math to be used.

Could be way wrong here, but that's my :wacko:

Correct, geeteebee. Size of the product is also a factor.

Supposed the product was, for arguments sake, elephants. Obviously, elephants come in various sizes, shapes, and wieghts. There would be no scientific way of determining how many would fit in the larger trailer, even if you knew how many fit in the smaller one.

You'd need to know how many pounds of product per cubic foot as well as the weight limits on the trailer as well as the towing capacity (as well as breaking capacity) of the vehicle.

Edited by SEC=UGA

You'd need to know how many pounds of product per cubic foot as well as the weight limits on the trailer as well as the towing capacity (as well as breaking capacity) of the vehicle.

the larger unit is a railcar, so it would not be towed by a vehicle. Weight and town-capicity concerns would thus be eliminated.

the larger unit is a railcar, so it would not be towed by a vehicle. Weight and town-capicity concerns would thus be eliminated.

Thank you, sir... :tup:

To try and draw attention away from my shame... I thought at first this said "Meth Problem" and I was gonna share my story... :wacko:

Pocs of the wife?

Assuming 8"x12" pictures at 1/16" thick since you did not give a size. each picture = 12/12 * 8/12 * 1/(12*16) = 0.0034722222222222 cu ft each.

To fill the train it would be 5650/0.0034722222222222 = 1,627,200 pocs to fill the train.

Assuming 8"x12" pictures at 1/16" thick since you did not give a size. each picture = 12/12 * 8/12 * 1/(12*16) = 0.0034722222222222 cu ft each.

To fill the train it would be 5650/0.0034722222222222 = 1,627,200 pocs to fill the train.

Ah engineering humor....

Supposed the product was, for arguments sake, elephants. Obviously, elephants come in various sizes, shapes, and wieghts. There would be no scientific way of determining how many would fit in the larger trailer, even if you knew how many fit in the smaller one.

Wow, you have an elephant? :wacko:

Sure there would, but it would involve grinding them all up first into a fine granular product. :wacko:

Sure there would, but it would involve grinding them all up first into a fine granular product. :wacko:

I asked my wife what product she was shipping, it's actually ground rhino penis. GNC uses it in their Mega Men formula.

So if our company's sales director talks for 20% of the duration of each 30 minute meeting we attend three days per week, and he averages speaking 1.2 words per second in his 20% of his 'talking time', how many metric tons of verbal crap will he spew during the course of 1 year, assuming he's on vacation for 3 weeks every year & misses 6 other meetings during the same year due to personal days, travel obligations, etc?

So if our company's sales director talks for 20% of the duration of each 30 minute meeting we attend three days per week, and he averages speaking 1.2 words per second in his 20% of his 'talking time', how many metric tons of verbal crap will he spew during the course of 1 year, assuming he's on vacation for 3 weeks every year & misses 6 other meetings during the same year due to personal days, travel obligations, etc?

30(.2)(1.2)(60) = 432 words/meeting

Meetings/year = (52-3)*3 -6 = 141 meetings

432*141 = 60912 words/year.

words/metric ton was not given. Assuming each word is 1 kilogram of crap, making 1000 words equal to 1 metric ton , that would be 60912/1000, or 60.912 metric tons of verbal crap.

:tup: