[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas Running Game

Brentastic

Does anyone have the scoop here? IF I draft a Cowboy RB, I would draft Felix only because of the big play potential. Most likely I will be avoiding this situation though.

I do have a question for the homers, my big money league commish lives in Dallas and posted something today saying Choice is rumored to be the starter. I don't buy it since this guy is a jokester but I don't know enough about the Dallas running game to know either way. Is he bullchitting as I presume?

I avoided both of them. Would take Felix over Barber if I had to. Barber has lost something. Just doesn't look like the same runner from 2 years ago.

:wacko:

I went the other way and let someone else overdraft Jones, and grabbed Barber late with what I feel is hugh upside. People overvalued Barber last year, and are undervalueing him this year.

He's still a hammer, and will be used as such this year....sans his injury woes of last year.

Not a homer by any stretch, but I live in the Dallas area and I'm constantly listening to sports radio. From everything I've read and heard Barber is going to start and get goal line work, Felix will take the other major part of the carries and Choice will stay in his same role.

Barber is by far the safest pick imo, with Jones having the highest ceiling.

He's still a hammer, and will be used as such this year....sans his injury woes of last year.

That's what I question. I'm not sure he's still a hammer. I know you can't put too much stock into preseason but I'm a little concerned. He just doesn't look the same.

That's what I question. I'm not sure he's still a hammer. I know you can't put too much stock into preseason but I'm a little concerned. He just doesn't look the same.

If you're using that theory then Barber, Jones, Choice, Romo and Austin have all lost something. The entire offense is dogfart right now. Remember, it's only pre-season and they're playing without 40% of their starting O Line. I wouldn't jump to any conclusion like that until he plays lame when the game counts.

Barber will score more fantasy points than Jones and Choice. Rarely do I agree with Pope Flick, but he is right, Choice is the best all around back on the team. Unfortunately he isn't a better hammer than Barber, or a better change of pace than Jones, so his playing time will be limited. As a Cowboy fan, I'd love to see Barber have a hugh year and then get traded for something of value leaving Choice as the primary ball carrier.

I went the other way and let someone else overdraft Jones, and grabbed Barber late with what I feel is hugh upside. People overvalued Barber last year, and are undervalueing him this year.

Sorry Swammi, I just am not going to trade you the best RB on the Cowboys' roster. :tup:

Good posts by PON and Perch. Reports are that Barber's touches will go down and Jones' will go up. That said, even with Jones' upside being the highest, it might be Barber that's the best draft-day value. Choice very well could be the most complete back on the roster but I fear he won't get enough work to matter... that is, if one of Barber/Jones get hurt... which is obviously quite possible.

According to Perch, I have him....Choice :wacko: the good news is I also have Barber, so when the inevitable hangnail sidelines Jones,....

It's so true. I do like Choice a lot, as Barber and Jones are so injury prone. Wait....I just got news that Jones got his feelings hurt and will be out 4-6 weeks while Barber received a purple nurple and will miss half the season to avoid his shoulder pads rubbing on it. I believe Choice will be the man at some point. I'll give you a box of kleenex for him.

I heard it once said that Barber, Jones and Choice will certainly help Dallas win games but for fantasy they may not be so helpful. However, that said, I think Jones can be every bit a true terror for teams IF he stays healthy. Barber is a steal in the late rounds because he will still get a lot of goal line work and should get 10+ TD's. I drafted Jones as my flyer that could very well have 8 to 10 TD's and 4 or 5 of them being long ones. From what I hear Jones can catch the ball also and will be used out of the backfield. If that happens he could be even more dangerous.

I would rank Barber as the Hightower TD and short yardage back with good ppr potential.

Jones a flyers with Faulk like upside.

Choice is insurance against either of them going down and moves up if it happens.

Some interesting quotes from the Dallas braintrust regarding the Dallas running game....looks like Barber will start the season as the man.

per CBS:

Marion Barber, RB DAL

News: Cowboys RB Marion Barber is known as a physical runner and that is a concern to Dallas owner Jerry Jones. "His liability is that he will never not be physical," Jones told USA Today. "You have to worry about his ability to get through a season. He doesn't get any 'free' stuff. There's always something happening at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of every damn run." While Barber is a physical back, he has been relatively durable, missing just four starts in two seasons. But with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice nipping at his heels, Barber has to stay on the field. "Barber is a guy that can inspire you when you're trying to set a tone and tell 'em, 'Here we are,' at the start of a game," Jones said.

Analysis: Asked if Barber should be Dallas starting RB, Jones said, "I don't, but our coaches do. (Former head coach) Bill Parcells doesn't. Parcells thinks that Barber's the finisher. Save him and wear 'em down at the end. But our coaches like to use him early, that physical part, to establish that." Head coach Wade Phillips and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett expect the running back situation to be status quo. Barber had twice as many carries as Jones did last season and rushed for 932 yards. "He needs to be out there," Phillips said of Barber. "He's that type of back." Phillips said he doesn't need to manage Barber's touches or tell him to tone down his running style. "You can't change a guy's running style," Phillips says. "He's so strong, so powerful, he can ignite your team early in a game -- and late in a game." Barber reported to camp this season 5 pounds lighter and the coaches say he is also faster. Barber is averaging just 1.9 yards per carry in the preseason, but that is of little concern. Barber is not the touchdown vulture he once was, but it still seems Dallas likes him as its feature back. Barber has been the 23rd most drafted RB in CBSSports.com leagues, while Jones isn't far behind at 27th. Consider Barber a nice low-end No. 2 Fantasy RB.

Some interesting quotes from the Dallas braintrust regarding the Dallas running game....looks like Barber will start the season as the man.

per CBS:

Marion Barber, RB DAL

News: Cowboys RB Marion Barber is known as a physical runner and that is a concern to Dallas owner Jerry Jones. "His liability is that he will never not be physical," Jones told USA Today. "You have to worry about his ability to get through a season. He doesn't get any 'free' stuff. There's always something happening at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of every damn run." While Barber is a physical back, he has been relatively durable, missing just four starts in two seasons. But with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice nipping at his heels, Barber has to stay on the field. "Barber is a guy that can inspire you when you're trying to set a tone and tell 'em, 'Here we are,' at the start of a game," Jones said.

Analysis: Asked if Barber should be Dallas starting RB, Jones said, "I don't, but our coaches do. (Former head coach) Bill Parcells doesn't. Parcells thinks that Barber's the finisher. Save him and wear 'em down at the end. But our coaches like to use him early, that physical part, to establish that." Head coach Wade Phillips and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett expect the running back situation to be status quo. Barber had twice as many carries as Jones did last season and rushed for 932 yards. "He needs to be out there," Phillips said of Barber. "He's that type of back." Phillips said he doesn't need to manage Barber's touches or tell him to tone down his running style. "You can't change a guy's running style," Phillips says. "He's so strong, so powerful, he can ignite your team early in a game -- and late in a game." Barber reported to camp this season 5 pounds lighter and the coaches say he is also faster. Barber is averaging just 1.9 yards per carry in the preseason, but that is of little concern. Barber is not the touchdown vulture he once was, but it still seems Dallas likes him as its feature back. Barber has been the 23rd most drafted RB in CBSSports.com leagues, while Jones isn't far behind at 27th. Consider Barber a nice low-end No. 2 Fantasy RB.

Based on that, i'll draft the other guys, as Barber will be hurt much sooner.

Thats an interesting comment, especially given the fact that Barber had twice as many carries as the next closest RB on the team in 2009....and he missed two games.

Not to mention that he played the entire season injured. What if he played through the first 3/4 or 1/2 of the season close to full health? The guy is a monster.

I think if you are drafting for value, I would pass on Barber and Jones and take a flier on Choice later in the draft. I think there is no way barber makes it a full season and Jones can not be relied on. For later in the season, Choice is a good pick.

• 1 month later...

The Cowboys' owner, coaching staff, and scouts have "unanimously" agreed that Felix Jones needs to touch the ball more going forward.

"I really look for you to see a lot more of Felix Jones," owner Jerry Jones emphasized. The Cowboys attribute Jones' minor role in the first three games to "circumstance," but that's going to change. This is a move we have seen coming. The offense simply moves too slowly with Marion Barber in the game. Tashard Choice is worth a waiver addition as well since Jones hasn't shown the ability to shoulder the load.