[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can football ever become important enough globally to become an Olympic Sport?

bconngemini

Can it? Sure. Will it? Probably not for awhile.

You have the lack of worldwide participation. You have the lack of women's involvement (which I understand is a requirement for a new sport).

And you also have a maximum of 4 [edit] games in 14 days. You'd have to extend the games or make them play more often that once a week.

Edited by Furd

NFL is making a push for football to be in the olympics by 2020. Do you think that football will be given Olympic sport status by then?

Are they really?

I did a really cursory google search and found nothing about that.

It would be a friggin travesty if that were the case. And saddly it does seem like through the sheer money involved that it is not out of the realm of possibility, though frankly Caber Tossing and other Gaelic games are more appropriate contestants (and they definitely are not appropriate contestants)....

I wouldn't be against letting the NCAA Div1 champion play against the rest of the world. But NFL players? You will never ever see it. And why would you want to?

Werd. How lame would it be? Take everything lame about the Pro Bowl and then make it even worse by making one side completely and totally out-matched. Wee, good times for sure. They're canning baseball because not enough other countries play it and, well, other countries actually play it. Why the hell would they put US Football in the games?

You'd have to have Pop Warner all-stars out there and who would they play? Does anyone else even play American football? Kinda laughable. The players themselves would get pounded but fitting however many games needed into a very short timetable.

Has been part of the games for over a century.

mostly countries send their uner 21s teams.

No one cares about the results at all. Proving the point that US football has no place in the olympics

there you have it, I didn't even know soccer was a part of the Summer Olympics.

I think the article the topic starter saw was about soccer ...

Has been part of the games for over a century.

mostly countries send their uner 21s teams.

No one cares about the results at all. Proving the point that US football has no place in the olympics

And yet the soccer is routinely the best attended competition.

And yet the soccer is routinely the best attended competition.

In the olympics?

I am guessing it is because it is a stadium sport, and stadiums can accomodate a lot of people (as opposed to indoor arenas for example).

But really none of the traditional soccer powers care about the olympic soccer results at all.

In order of how much a french fan for example cares about olympic soccer results I am guessing they rank it probably this way:

World Cup

UEFA Cup (like the world cup every four years, but just for european countries)

french championship

champion's league

french cup

olympics

french league cup

In the olympics?

I am guessing it is because it is a stadium sport, and stadiums can accomodate a lot of people (as opposed to indoor arenas for example).

But really none of the traditional soccer powers care about the olympic soccer results at all.

In order of how much a french fan for example cares about olympic soccer results I am guessing they rank it probably this way:

World Cup

UEFA Cup (like the world cup every four years, but just for european countries)

french championship

champion's league

french cup

olympics

french league cup

That ordering would be pretty accurate, methinks.

not a chance

Why do you say that? The NFL has formally stated it wants football to be an Olympics sport (Peyton Manning even did a pledge for it) and the IOC wants football because football is the most watched and respected spectator sport in the world. Im sure the IOC wans to get better ratings among males, it gets great ratings for women due to chick sports like gymnastics, figure skating and soccer, but if we add football along with baseball you'll have a larger male audience.

I think it would result in a lot of cases of the deads for players not from the US. The US playing Football Americana in the Olympics would make the original "Dream Team" look like a fair matchup.

Same thing as basketball, but eventaully the rest of the world caught up to us. I'm sure that while today there is no foreigner who is 6'4 250lb and runs a 4.3 and is able to take a hit, in the future with enough training there might be. Look at how everybody today gets excited over Olympic basketball now that foreigners have gotten better when originally the Dream Team would cream everybody.

Why do you say that? The NFL has formally stated it wants football to be an Olympics sport (Peyton Manning even did a pledge for it) and the IOC wants football because football is the most watched and respected spectator sport in the world. Im sure the IOC wans to get better ratings among males, it gets great ratings for women due to chick sports like gymnastics, figure skating and soccer, but if we add football along with baseball you'll have a larger male audience.

:tup:

Let's also get NASCAR in the mix for the Olympics. :wacko: