[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiver clamis by eliminated teams

dino88

In my local league transactions start at $5. If I'm out of the playoffs I am much less inclined to contribute more money to the kitty.

I got off to a horrible start in this league and after 7 weeks was 2-5. Week 8 I made $20 worth of transactions because, despite my poor record, I still perceived that I had a shot at the playoffs.

After week 11 I was 5-6 ... if I has lost in week 12 my season would be over and I would cease making transactions. I managed to eek out a win in week 12 and am now 6-6 with an outside shot at the playoffs.

My point? Had I given up after my horrible start not only would my team been less competitive but I wouldn't have had as much fun either ... here are my key pick ups:

Week 5: BGE ($7)

Week 5: Torain ($6)

Week 6: Steve Johnson ($7)

Week 8: Ryan Fitzpatrick ($7)

Week 8: STL ($6)

Week 8: Jacob Tamme ($7)

Ryan Fitzpatrick

STL

Jacob Tamme

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So honestly dude, what do you want us to say? You said it right in the OP, they "didn't share your feelings". Okay, cool. What more is there to discuss?

Philosophy 101: What is against the rules tends to be unethical, but what is unethical is not necessarily against the rules. So unless you want to change the rules (which I disagree with), then nothing wrong has been done here.

You imply that it is unethical to make a waiver move on a free agent if you are eliminated from the playoffs. I disagree.

You imply that it is unethical to make a waiver move on a free agent if you are eliminated from the playoffs. I disagree.

Just making a point, since he seems to think so, but I do think it's kind of bad form to pick up the hot pickups on the last week of the season, when your game can't possibly matter... Though I am 100% in favor of people competing to the end over tanking.

But my opinion doesn't matter.You pay to play, so it's your right to manage your team however you see fit... Like I said earlier, I don't have a problem with it even it is purely to stick it to one of the playoff teams...

Edited by delusions of granduer

As I said, the teams who made the claims have nothing to play for. They have been eliminated and are playing other eliminated teams. Not a single game matters this week except the #1 and #2 teams playing each other for a bye.

But, by not making your best attempt at fielding the best team which includes making waiver moves to improve said team, whether you are eliminated or not and whether your current week's game has an affect on playoff standings or not, has a potentially profound affect on the rest of the league. By allowing Gerhart or Westbrook to get past you on waivers, assuming you would have made a move to pick them up in other circumstances, allows a playoff team to gain an advantage that he otherwise wouldn;t have had if you didn't quit playing your best and doing what was best for your team regardless of standings or playoff implications.

In this case, I agree with untateve, always do what you can to try and win the week.

now, as others have noted, if there is a real dollar charge for moves, this changes the situation IMO and could lead me to agree with not making a move due to the real financial recourse (unless the lack of action means you would not submit a full legal lineup).

I do want to add from my earlier post. I want teams to be competitive throughout the year, however, if transactions costs money I do not expect out of the running teams to just add money to the pot. If they have a team that they can field and play the best players, I also agree with this.

Until the end of the regular season every player should be able to be picked up by every team using whatever WW rules you want. If you start qualifying what is right and what is wrong ...well that's what the rules are for. Play out the string as if it's week 1 ALWAYS. Now after the regular season ends as long as next years drafts aren't affected or there is a consolation championship then the players should be for only the teams playing in the playoffs.This past season in my baseball league we had a rule that once the regular season ended and the playoffs were ongoing the non-playoff teams were locked from making pickups from the WW. They also could not cut anybody.

Teams should be allowed to make waiver claims no matter what the fact set might be. Just because a team is out of contention doesn't mean they should be effectively castrated, taking all remaining fun out of the league. Some teams like to play "spoiler" and there's nothing wrong with that.

We do two things to avoid these types of situations in our league:

1. Week 10 Kickoff Trade Deadline. Usually there are only a couple of teams completely out of it, and that minimizes bogus trade potential.

2. NFL Playoff Contest With Existing Rosters. This way as soon as Fantasy playoffs are out of reach for owners, they can start directing their waiver energy towards players on the top NFL teams (usually 3rd WRs and back-ups and IDPs). This leaves the Fantasy contenders to fight over the break-out players who usually surface later in the year on the suckier NFL teams. NFL playoff payout is 25% of the Fantasy champion's take, so it's a nice consolation prize and a good way to keep the entire league's competetive juices flowing all season.

The only time this has ever bitten us in the ass is when an owner starts out SO poorly that he accrues SO many NFL playoff guys that he has to drop a stud on a sucky NFL team in order to free up the roster spot. But that's pretty rare.

I really don't see why anyone should stop making waiver claims. You hope your league is filled with people who won't give up on their teams. No matter how you slice it, someone will get an unfair advantage if all owners don't continue to attempt to field the best team possible each week.

All the more reason to have weekly skins...

Also, in my main local, we set aside a certain portion of the prize pool for what we call the "Pro Bowl". In week 17 (after the fantasy super bowl in week 16), whichever team has the highest point total for that week gets a decent chunk of change. It keeps everyone interested in fielding a competitive team.

So, it's good etiquette to tank?

Not to be argumentative, but supposed the owner right after Mr. Eliminated is heading to the playoffs and because Mr. Eliminated doesn't think he should try anymore, the next owner gets Westbrook. I wonder how the other owners will feel about Mr. Eliminated's etiquette.

So long as you are following your league's rules, including the spirit of the rules, I believe every owner should try and win every week.

As usual, Unta's opinion is clear, concise, and logical. My wife told me that if I picked up Westbrook she would consider abstaining from the pleasures of marriage (with me) for however long it took until I released him (she is NOT a 49ers fan at all). What should I do?

As usual, Unta's opinion is clear, concise, and logical. My wife told me that if I picked up Westbrook she would consider abstaining from the pleasures of marriage (with me) for however long it took until I released him (she is NOT a 49ers fan at all). What should I do?

Keep Westbrook and let wife know that you will be trading her along with financial considerations for a draft pick.

In our league (10 Team, 2 Keeper, PPR) six teams make the playoffs. The teams that do not make the playoffs play in a consulation brackett to win the #1 pick in the next year's draft. So, every win counts... the teams that are outside of the playoffs have every right to make waiver claims.

As a commissioner I wouldn't expect people to spend real money on pick-ups if they are out of it. It would be great if they can and did. I only expect them to field a complete team each week doesn't have to be a great team, just a full team of starters.

I on the other hand will fight to the end even if it means worsening my draft position. But I understand not doing that and I understand that isn't the case here.

It seems unusual that no teams can change any playoff positions in your final week. So for the 95% of the other times when this week would normally matter in your league I think the correct thing to do would be to absolutely try and win and use your bad record to your advantage to do so. In my opinion, the correct habit to be in, is that of attempting to win every game that you can for competitive balance.

Of course in many leagues you have to balance what is best for your team versus what is best for the league. In other words, "I'll try to win, just not sure how hard."

I don't consider putting your best team forward each week tanking...was the guy tanking in week 1 with those same players?

Again, I think it comes down to circumstances...if I am out of the playoff picture I will allow the contenders to at least have first dibs at the waiver wire. If there is a 2nd period or FCFS than I will wait to plug any holes in my lineup. I'm still going to put my best players out there each week no matter what.

Not making the best waiver claim possible is the same thing as not "putting your best team forward each week."

As a commissioner I wouldn't expect people to spend real money on pick-ups if they are out of it. It would be great if they can and did. I only expect them to field a complete team each week doesn't have to be a great team, just a full team of starters.

This is the only excuse to me. If it costs real-world dollars to make moves, then anyone can be forgiven for not making a move. Of course, this holds just as true Week 1 as it does Week 13.

It seems unusual that no teams can change any playoff positions in your final week. So for the 95% of the other times when this week would normally matter in your league I think the correct thing to do would be to absolutely try and win and use your bad record to your advantage to do so. In my opinion, the correct habit to be in, is that of attempting to win every game that you can for competitive balance.

Exactly. You can't base what is "ethical/unethical" based on how this one particular season turned out for this one particular league. Everyone should try their best to win every single game. To me, anything short of that (given the real-world dollar exception above) is unethical, IMO.

Of course in many leagues you have to balance what is best for your team versus what is best for the league. In other words, "I'll try to win, just not sure how hard."

This begs the question: who decides "what is best for league?"

This is the only excuse to me. If it costs real-world dollars to make moves, then anyone can be forgiven for not making a move. Of course, this holds just as true Week 1 as it does Week 13.

I agree with this to the extent that it applies to upgrading your team.

But I think that an owner has an obligation to start a valid and complete lineup. So if the owner has to shell out a few bucks to replace a player who is out due to injury or otherwise, for example, then he/she should reach for the wallet.

I'm already eliminated from the playoffs (4th highest scoring team, but 2nd worst record) and had our league's second waiver pick this week. I didn't think it was right for me to take players that other teams fighting for a championship could use, so I didn't place a claim for anyone. A couple other teams that are eliminated as well didn't share these feelings and picked up both Westbrook and Gerhart. I'm just wondering how everyone here feels about this? Should a team that has already been eliminated just bow out and let the other contending teams fight it out?

Congratulations. Your intentional lack of action not only is unsportsmanlike in that you are failing to make your team stronger when you have the opportunity to do so, but you also have chosen to affect the playoffs by making an impact RB available to one of the playoff teams who would otherwise not be there.

Put your best team on the field at all times. That you felt the need to create this post tells me that you know you did wrong and are looking for people to help you rationalize it.

whether I'm eliminated or not, I try to win every game.

+1000

The weak teams have been making waiver claims all season, leveling the playing field for every head-to-head match-up. I would hate to be in a league where I was fighting for a playoff spot, and a weak team didn't try to improve itself, and lost a game it could have won against a team I was battling for a spot.

Congratulations. Your intentional lack of action not only is unsportsmanlike

Or, maybe he just made a mistake and didn't know any better, but hey, way to crucify the guy BB. Maybe you should kick his dog or insult his mom while you're at it. :wacko:

Edited by Hugh 0ne