[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiver clamis by eliminated teams

dino88

I'm already eliminated from the playoffs (4th highest scoring team, but 2nd worst record) and had our league's second waiver pick this week. I didn't think it was right for me to take players that other teams fighting for a championship could use, so I didn't place a claim for anyone. A couple other teams that are eliminated as well didn't share these feelings and picked up both Westbrook and Gerhart. I'm just wondering how everyone here feels about this? Should a team that has already been eliminated just bow out and let the other contending teams fight it out?

Edited by dino88

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on other factors...is it a keeper/dynasty league? Than definitely they should keep making claims. Is there still weekly prize money for high score of the week?...depends on the monetary value to some, but I wouldn't fault anyone for making a claim. Is it a redraft league where the guys aren't playing for squat? Then good etiquette would deem not taking a player.

No. Because the noncontending teams are playing the contending teams.

I'm a ringer in someone else's work league. Last week I noted that the team with which I was battling for the division was playing a guy that had given up for the year - he was starting Steve Smith North and Ryan Mathews and some stiffs and he still had plenty of ww money.

So the noncontending teams still play a role.

Depends on other factors...is it a keeper/dynasty league? Than definitely they should keep making claims. Is there still weekly prize money for high score of the week?...depends on the monetary value to some, but I wouldn't fault anyone for making a claim. Is it a redraft league where the guys aren't playing for squat? Then good etiquette would deem not taking a player.

So, it's good etiquette to tank?

Not to be argumentative, but supposed the owner right after Mr. Eliminated is heading to the playoffs and because Mr. Eliminated doesn't think he should try anymore, the next owner gets Westbrook. I wonder how the other owners will feel about Mr. Eliminated's etiquette.

So long as you are following your league's rules, including the spirit of the rules, I believe every owner should try and win every week.

No. Because the noncontending teams are playing the contending teams.

I'm a ringer in someone else's work league. Last week I noted that the team with which I was battling for the division was playing a guy that had given up for the year - he was starting Steve Smith North and Ryan Mathews and some stiffs and he still had plenty of ww money.

So the noncontending teams still play a role.

Bingo

Our wiavers in my main local end week 12. there is a guy in my league that was 1-9. It is a redraft league. He has pretty much been out for a while now. FA money was due and I lock out owners that arent up to date financially. He emailed me that he has only been putting FA moves in (they cost 5 bucks each) for the integrity of the league for the past 3 weeks. I have a lot of respect for a guy that does that

Edited by whomper

I totally agree with you Furd. Every week has its own matchups and want those matchups to be as competitive as they can be. If I am out of the money, I still want to play the best lineup I can. If I am contending and my biggest rival is playing a team that has given up and I am playing a team out of the money but still is playing to win, the league goes out of balance.....in my opinion.

All the playoff spots are locked. The only game that matters this week is the #1 and #2 teams who are playing each other and will determine a first round bye. The eliminated teams have nothing to play for since we only award #1-3. I'm still setting my lineup and trying to win my last game, but I'm not going to go out and take players that other teams fighting for a championship could use.

edit: I thought I'd add that the eliminated teams that claimed Westbrook and Gerhart are both playing other eliminated teams.

Edited by dino88

So, it's good etiquette to tank?

I don't consider putting your best team forward each week tanking...was the guy tanking in week 1 with those same players?

Again, I think it comes down to circumstances...if I am out of the playoff picture I will allow the contenders to at least have first dibs at the waiver wire. If there is a 2nd period or FCFS than I will wait to plug any holes in my lineup. I'm still going to put my best players out there each week no matter what.

whether I'm eliminated or not, I try to win every game.

Exactly. I could be 0-13 and still clawing and scrapping for every freaking point. It makes other teams play their A game knowing that your still in it to win even though your out. Same holds true in the real game. You can't assume a win in week 16 because the Panthers are looking for that 1st round pick. Those players are playing for pride and if you put your guard down, your going to pay.

Absolutely not. If you take away their ability to make claims, then you are only giving incentive to tank, which can affect the playoff race even more.

I agree with untateve that I always play to win, even if I'm eliminated. Might as well play spoiler if I paid to play... Also, at what point to you decide that they're eliminated? There might be a scenario that you haven't even thought of for them to slip in, or oppositely, you might accidentally let a team that is technically eliminated make a claim, while a team that is more obviously eliminated is blocked from making moves...

I have a similar issue with not allowing trades with teams who are out of it, though I can see why leagues would have that rule in effect... But this is what a trade deadline is for, IMO.

Only once they've been officially eliminated (meaning the playoffs have started and their team is no longer playing) do I think they should no longer be allowed to make moves.

All the playoff spots are locked. The only game that matters this week is the #1 and #2 teams who are playing each other and will determine a first round bye. The eliminated teams have nothing to play for since we only award #1-3. I'm still setting my lineup and trying to win my last game, but I'm not going to go out are take players that other teams fighting for a championship could use.

so if all the eliminated teams took followed your lead, the first playoff team on the waiver wire gets first choice, thereby providing him with a starting running back. I'm guessing the other teams going into the playoffs will thank you for helping out their competitor.

Would your view change about going after a waiver wire player if you were playing a potential playoff bound team and if you win, he's out? If so, why? If not, why not?

Also, at what point to you decide that they're eliminated? There might be a scenario that you haven't even thought of for them to slip in, or oppositely, you might accidentally let a team that is technically eliminated make a claim, while a team that is more obviously eliminated is blocked from making moves...

No, there is no such scenario. I would have said otherwise.

so if all the eliminated teams took followed your lead, the first playoff team on the waiver wire gets first choice, thereby providing him with a starting running back. I'm guessing the other teams going into the playoffs will thank you for helping out their competitor.

As would the other teams if I blocked one team from getting a player.

Would your view change about going after a waiver wire player if you were playing a potential playoff bound team and if you win, he's out? If so, why? If not, why not?

As I said, the teams who made the claims have nothing to play for. They have been eliminated and are playing other eliminated teams. Not a single game matters this week except the #1 and #2 teams playing each other for a bye.

Edited by dino88

As would the other teams if I blocked one team from getting a player.

You say 'blocked,' I say 'attempting to win.'

As I said, the teams who made the claims have nothing to play for. They have been eliminated and are playing other eliminated teams. Not a single game matters this week except the #1 and #2 teams playing each other for a bye.

This wasn't my question.

No, there is no such scenario. I would have said otherwise.

I guess I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about not allowing eliminated teams to make claims, and was highlighting the scenario that could make it problematic.

But if you're asking SHOULD they make a claim knowing they're eliminated; No, I think it's bad form; but should they have the right to do so in a competitive game: ABSOLUTELY. Even if they're just doing it to stick it to a playoff team, that's their choice...

This wasn't my question.

But your question wasn't relevant. That's a completely different scenario. Of course it makes sense if the team will affect who makes the playoffs, but that's not what we're talking about.

Edited by dino88

But your question wasn't relevant. That's a completely different scenario. Of course it makes sense if the team will affect who makes the playoffs, but that's not what we're talking about.

Just trying to get a handle on when you think a team should stop trying their very best to win.

It seems that if you are eliminated, you will not make a waiver claim that could help your team unless you are playing a potential playoff team. Otherwise, you feel you should let the next available playoff team have the waiver pick.

I simply disagree with you. Don't invite me into a league and then ask me not to try and win every week, whether I'm eliminated or not.

So honestly dude, what do you want us to say? You said it right in the OP, they "didn't share your feelings". Okay, cool. What more is there to discuss?

Philosophy 101: What is against the rules tends to be unethical, but what is unethical is not necessarily against the rules. So unless you want to change the rules (which I disagree with), then nothing wrong has been done here.

Just trying to get a handle on when you think a team should stop trying their very best to win.

It seems that if you are eliminated, you will not make a waiver claim that could help your team unless you are playing a potential playoff team. Otherwise, you feel you should let the next available playoff team have the waiver pick.

I simply disagree with you. Don't invite me into a league and then ask me not to try and win every week, whether I'm eliminated or not.

I agree with untateve here. I always want everyone in my league's to give 110% to try and win every week through the end of the season regardless of standing. It's best for the integrity of the league.

As a commish, I make one request of all team owners during the pre-season draft... You're making a commitment to play a full season, and the expectation is you will play with the same fervor and passion to win in Week 1 as you do in Week 13. You owe it to your fellow owners. If you're team is 2-10 and out of it, it may not seem like a big deal. But next year, you may be fighting for the last playoff spot. How are you going to feel then when somebody tanks (foregoing waiver claims) their team againt your opponent and you miss the playoffs because of it?

Your intentions may be good Dino88, but it's not good for the league in the long run.