[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your "religious denomination" (basically)

BeeR

Well?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your denomination/ belief system?

• Christian (Catholic)
    • Christian (Protestant)
    • Christian (other)
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Other (desc)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to believe that there is a higher being that is so vain and jealous that a person who led a good life, was kind to others and followed what most would say was a just and moral life would be conscripted to some endless burning hell simply because that kind and generous person didn't swear fealty to this vain and jealous god.

If God/Allah/Yahweh exists, He doesn't care if you go to church. He doesn't care of you pay homage to Him. He doesn't care if you give money to keep your preacher in $1,000.00 suits. He doesn't want you to kill or ostracize anyone who doesn't believe. Those are all trapping of the Church, created by human beings, not divinity.

He would only care that you were a good member of humanity.

Although I am Catholic, i cant say that I fully disagree with this. It is actually the creed of Whompianity

The answer is yes, not because of them not making a positive statement but because we are all atheists until taught differently, either by our parents or by an organization. This is clearly not relegated solely to the realm of religion as any child has no concept of any power that exists in the physical, spiritual or cultural world until exposed to these things. All of these things are taught at some level and not all of the lessons learned are correct.

but wouldn't being an athiest translate to making a decision that there is no God? No higher power?

I would suggest that somebody who has yet to make the determination is agnostic - not that you can apply any of this to babies

but wouldn't being an athiest translate to making a decision that there is no God? No higher power?

No. (equating "decision" with belief). Some atheists have done that. (Strong atheists). Some have not. (Weak atheists or agnostic atheists.)

Atheism means only that you do not believe that god exists. It doesn't necessarily mean that you believe that there is no god. If you're not sure or haven't made up your mind, you don't believe that god exists. Acknowledging that a god may exist is not acknowledging that a god exists. Follow?

I would suggest that somebody who has yet to make the determination is agnostic

No. It means that the person has not made a determination. It means that the person is an atheist (specifically a weak atheist) because he or she does not believe that god exists.

"Agnostic" does not mean undecided. It has nothing to do with the belief or disbelief in the existence of god.

People who don't know, or are undecided, should just say that if they don't want to call themselves an atheist.

I shouldn't click on this thread again.

I shouldn't click on this thread again.

Don't do that... I actually think I understnad what you are getting at. I just think that the wording was a little clumsy.

Basically a Theist is someone is will go so far as to say that I believe in God. Anyone who does not, is not a Theist, and therefore an Atheist (or non Theist). Is that about what you're trying to say?

http://mw1.meriam-webster.com/

1ag·nos·tic noun \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\

Definition of AGNOSTIC

1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

2: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

— ag·nos·ti·cism \-tə-ˌsi-zəm\ noun

athe·ist noun \ˈā-thē-ist\

Definition of ATHEIST

: one who believes that there is no deity

— athe·is·tic \ˌā-thē-ˈis-tik\ or athe·is·ti·cal \ˌā-thē-ˈis-ti-kəl\ adjective

— athe·is·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

I would suggest that somebody who has yet to make the determination is agnostic - not that you can apply any of this to babies

We're spitting hairs here, but I would argue that there is a choice for any path, but by not knowing the path exists, a choice cannot be consciously made. Therefore a baby, having no knowledge of any gods, cannot make a choice. Therefore, one that does not know of the existence of gods, does not believe in gods and therefore is atheistic.

To acknowledge that there is no way of knowing the answer is considered a valid belief.

To acknowledge that there is no way of knowing the answer is really about the only statement about religion which is not debatable ie a rock solid fact. All else is belief and opinion.

No, I am not agnostic. Just stating what should be obvious. None of us knows what lies beyond or will until we die (and if you're an atheist, you could argue one won't even know then, since one would simply cease to exist ie not be around to know).

We're spitting hairs here, but I would argue that there is a choice for any path, but by not knowing the path exists, a choice cannot be consciously made. Therefore a baby, having no knowledge of any gods, cannot make a choice. Therefore, one that does not know of the existence of gods, does not believe in gods and therefore is atheistic.

diagree completely

If you believe that God creates all life ( as I do ) then a baby is as far from an atheistic as can be

I believe its the opposite ...baby's are created to be believers and if they end up not being believers its because they decided not to be later in life

With your theory, if an infant dies then what should one believe that since they were born atheistic they have no chance for afterlife or heaven ?

You're both wrong. A baby is nowhere near capable of grasping the concept, so it doesn't believe or disbelieve in God. ie it has no real "religious beliefs."

And I have this crazy idea God kinda takes that into account....

With your theory, if an infant dies then what should one believe that since they were born atheistic they have no chance for afterlife or heaven ?

I believe in Kid's 'theory,' there is no afterlife or heaven and therefore, if an infant, a teen, or an adult dies, they have no chance for afterlife or heaven.

You're both wrong. A baby is nowhere near capable of grasping the concept, so it doesn't believe or disbelieve in God. ie it has no real "religious beliefs."

And I have this crazy idea God kinda takes that into account....

There are some religious sects (rather large ones) that believe a baby must be cleansed of Adam's original sin, else they are bound for purgatory (they cannot enter Heaven).

diagree completely

If you believe that God creates all life ( as I do ) then a baby is as far from an atheistic as can be

I believe its the opposite ...baby's are created to be believers and if they end up not being believers its because they decided not to be later in life

Take a step back and think about things for a second. Belief or non-belief is not an instinct, it is the result of a conscious decision. We are not born with a belief gene. The same can be said about us being able to use forks or do simple addition. This is why we have schools, so that the accumulated knowledge of those that have come before us can be passed on to those coming after us and that they can function in the social and cultural construct that we have created. The concepts of gods and religion are taught to all of us starting at an early age. Even if the parents aren't religious in their own right, an individual is exposed to religion even though a simple question like "Daddy, what's that big white building with the tall pointy thing on top?"

Part of the knowledge that has been accumulated over time is the writings about gods and religion. This includes not just the current writings on Christ and Muhammad, but also what we now call mythology or the gods of other cultures including Greek, Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Sumerian, etc. (As an aside, you'll notice that any religion or collections of gods not part of the current cultural structure is lumped into the category of mythology. It makes one wonder when the same will happen to the currently active religions). It is important to note, that each and every belief system is taught, either through a structured class environment, casual experience or in the home. However, no individual comes out of the womb with an innate ability to identify their particular god.

Now to answer your question, the afterlife is a construct of a particular religion. It has no actual meaning in the physical world in which our consciousness exists. Each religion or culture structures the afterlife according to how it fits in within the existing constructs of their dogma. In the Christian construct, adults are encouraged to Baptize a child as soon as possible so that they can have the mark upon them that allows their God to recognize them and allow them into heaven (for a lack of a better way of saying it). So exceptionally early in that child's life, the adults begin imprinting their cultural and religious values upon an infant that is incapable of grasping these higher concepts. It also assuages the adult's fear of the very thing you mentioned, that because the child cannot grasp the concept of a gods or gods, that they are in essence atheistic and therefore not allowed into the bonus round.

because the child cannot grasp the concept of a gods or gods, that they are in essence atheistic

That doesn't make any sense.

This post appears to need repeated:

http://mw1.meriam-webster.com/

1ag·nos·tic noun \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\

Definition of AGNOSTIC

1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

2: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

— ag·nos·ti·cism \-tə-ˌsi-zəm\ noun

athe·ist noun \ˈā-thē-ist\

Definition of ATHEIST: one who believes that there is no deity

— athe·is·tic \ˌā-thē-ˈis-tik\ or athe·is·ti·cal \ˌā-thē-ˈis-ti-kəl\ adjective

— athe·is·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Edited by BeeR

Part of the knowledge that has been accumulated over time is the writings about gods and religion. This includes not just the current writings on Christ and Muhammad, but also what we now call mythology or the gods of other cultures including Greek, Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Sumerian, etc. (As an aside, you'll notice that any religion or collections of gods not part of the current cultural structure is lumped into the category of mythology. It makes one wonder when the same will happen to the currently active religions).

Excellent observation.