[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mall-fall texting moron may file lawsuit

rattsass

She got her panties in a bunch because the video went viral. She could have just let it go and suffered a little embarrassment within her town instead of getting on TV for the complete World to know she's an idiot now.

Edited by twiley

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company settled. I've been on the wrong end of three lawsuits that were solely the fault of the "injured" and in all cases the insurance company settles. The problem you get into is even a frivolous lawsuit costs a good bit of money and time to defend, and even though if it is one of the rare cases where the judge throws it out as frivolous, and makes the plaintiff pay the defendants lawyer fees, it doesn't make up for the time lost in documentation and in many cases the plaintiff doesn't have the money to pay the defendants fees.

We need to get rid of all punitive damages so that we stop allowing people to play the lottery, and make the plaintiffs attorney pay the defendant twice whatever he pays in legal fees for bringing a frivolous case. It would save everyone a bunch of time and money.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Frickin' awesome!!

Texting fountain lady's problems bigger than YouTube fame

UPDATE: As Stacy Stutz, some lady I know from Facebook, just said: "It's all fun and games until it goes viral on YouTube" ... and you cry about it on TV and hint at launching a lawsuit, and the Streisand effect kicks in.

"In the hours that followed Cathy Cruz Marrero's appearance on 'Good Morning America' today to talk about the fall and its aftermath, she was in court for a status hearing on charges of five felony counts, including theft by deception and receiving stolen property," reports ABC News.

Turns out Marrero's been out on $7,500 bail since 2009, after being charged with running up more than $5,000 in purchases on a co-worker's credit card. No wonder she had a lawyer handy.

Marrero's next court date is April 21, and she's facing about six months of house arrest and electronic monitoring, according to the Reading Eagle. So all y'all talking about how if she just shut up and went on with her life, nobody would know it was her in the fountain —maybe six people recognized her — are more right than you realized. While it's unknown how many people knew about her theft charges, we all sure know about it now.

So couldn't she have walked into the fountain on purpose?

I think she is suing over the mall cop response to the situation and not the mall being liable for her actual fall. I think they were laughing pretty hard and it took them a second to gather themselves to help her out. If she wins, I think we need to set up a foundation for the mall cops involved.

LOL....no win for her. If they show the tape in court and the jury laughs......defendant wins.

They did eventually try to find her and make sure she was alright. It's mall security...not mall paramedics. :wacko:

I'm predicting this 2009 stuff blindsided her attorney as well and this will quietly go away.

Gotta LOVE karma! :tup:

I thought I heard on ABC that they said the mall security guy was fired.

Yep

Marrero has hired a lawyer and says she plans to sue the mall. She claims she could have been seriously hurt and that the security guards should have helped instead of laugh. Thursday, the security guard responsible for leaking the video was fired.

So couldn't she have walked into the fountain on purpose?

For what purpose would she do this?

I think she is suing over the mall cop response to the situation and not the mall being liable for her actual fall. I think they were laughing pretty hard and it took them a second to gather themselves to help her out.

Marrero has hired a lawyer and says she plans to sue the mall.

I have reviewed a number of artcles on this and I couldn't find any statement by her or her lawyer the she "plans" or "threatens" a lawsuit. But that's what's in most headlines so people can get fired up over what only amounts to a fine display of stupity.

If she wins, I think we need to set up a foundation for the mall cops involved.

Really? You don't think that those guys did anything wrong? If you saw your wife taking a header into a fountain on You tube, well, I guess that just hilarious. Let's take the mall security guy out for a beer.

Edited by Furd

I have reviewed a number of artcles on this and I couldn't find any statement by her or her lawyer the she "plans" or "threatens" a lawsuit. But that's what's in most headlines so people can get fired up over what only amounts to a fine display of stupity.

Really? You don't think that those guys did anything wrong? If you saw your wife taking a header into a fountain on You tube, well, I guess that just hilarious. Let's take the mall security guy out for a beer.

Why would she hire a lawyer? Hey let's take a lawyer out for a beer????

The only thing they did which was wrong was use mall property which was not theirs to use.

If my wife fell into a fountain while texting I would tell her she texts too much and be done with it.

Furd, you aren't helping the lawyer hate... If my wife was the one in that situation and she wasn't hurt, I'd laugh at her too. But then, I actually wear the pants in my house... :wacko:

For what purpose would she hire a lawyer and agree to be interviewed on television, claiming to be "embarrassed" by the whole ordeal -- despite that she was unrecognizable from the footage posted online and perhaps could have remained anonymous had she simply let things pass without comment? Her decision-making skills don't seem that great, which is why I questioned her motives in the first place.

For what purpose would she hire a lawyer and agree to be interviewed on television, claiming to be "embarrassed" by the whole ordeal -- despite that she was unrecognizable from the footage posted online and perhaps could have remained anonymous had she simply let things pass without comment? Her decision-making skills don't seem that great, which is why I questioned her motives in the first place.

You didn't answer my question.

A women at a mall, with only a couple of people around, falls face first into a fountain, gets right up, then quickly walks away.

Why would she do that intentionally?

Furd, you aren't helping the lawyer hate...

I'm not trying to "help." I'm illustrating it (and irresponsibile journalism.)

Dumbass lady falls into a fountain. Everybody laughs.

Dumbass lady that fell into fountain gets interviewed, says she wasn't hurt and that she learned a lesson. Everybody is still laughing at her.

Throw a lawyer (the biggest dumbass of them all) into the mix, and people hate her. I'd really like to know how that douchebag got involved.

Edited by Furd

You didn't answer my question.

A women at a mall, with only a couple of people around, falls face first into a fountain, gets right up, then quickly walks away.

Why would she do that intentionally?

I don't know. I'm not saying she did it intentionally. I'm suggesting that, based on the available information, it's a question worth asking.

I'm not trying to "help." I'm illustrating it (and irresponsibile journalism.)

Dumbass lady falls into a fountain. Everybody laughs.

Dumbass lady that fell into fountain gets interviewed, says she wasn't hurt and that she learned a lesson. Everybody is still laughing at her.

Throw a lawyer (the biggest dumbass of them all) into the mix, and people hate her. I'd really like to know how that douchebag got involved.

Let's say the fall was an accident. It's entirely possible someone tracked down her name and threatened to publicize it in exchange for an interview, so she agreed to one and got a lawyer. Maybe she's not guilty of the felony theft charges, and this is all one big misunderstanding.

If that wasn't the case -- that no one knew who she was -- what would be the point of getting a lawyer and agreeing to be interviewed on "Good Morning America"? Why put your name out there and be subjected to further ridicule, especially knowing you're facing felony theft charges? Even if, in her heart, she knows she's not guilty, once people hear of the charges, they'll assume she did it. Maybe she did it all on the advice of her lawyer, but she has the final say, and so far, her decisions haven't been too great.

I missed the part where she was injured and they were supposed to do something? :wacko:

Months later she now lawyers up, and you are worried if she was hurt. What kind of crappy shoes from spammers's do you own to chase that ambulance so good?