[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tim, something for you and Trekkies to Ponder

SEC=UGA

Brent-Spiner-dataIn an interview with AfterElton.com, Terra Nova exec. producer Brannon Braga — who cut his teeth writing and producing Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine — lamented the fact that Star Trek has never once included an out gay character in a movie or TV series. “It was a shame for a lot of us,” Braga said. “It was not a forward-thinking decision.” Yes, there was the occasional episode where, say, Commander Riker falls in love with an alien from a genderless world, or Dr. Crusher falls in love with a male alien who (thanks the symbiotic organism living inside it, naturally) changes bodies to a female — who Crusher then spurns. But as far as an out-and-proud same-sex loving character, the otherwise socially progressive and diverse Star Trek universe is stuck in the closet.

Braga does contended that had the shows been airing today, the TNG and DS9 creative teams “wouldn’t have been squeamish” about introducing a gay Trek character. Perhaps. For one thing, I always kinda wondered if Data, in his exploration of what it means to be human, would ever get intimate with a male crew-mate the same way he did with Tasha Yar. (Slash fiction tells me I am not alone in this overshare.) I also got to thinking: What other TV series have a surprisingly specific lack of diversity? I’m not talking about quotas here, by the way. I’m talking about TV shows in which the setting and premise naturally provide for a widely diverse cast — or in the case of Star Trek outright demand it — yet nonetheless are notably missing a key subset of society.

Like, say, Lost, a show boasting one of the most diverse casts imaginable — race, ethnicity, nationality, age, physical ability, size, socio-economic position, morality, corporeal status — but featuring only a single gay character (Mr. Friendly) who appeared in just a handful of episodes, barely acknowledged his sexuality, and was killed halfway through the run of the show. (To be fair, the homoerotic subtext between Jack and Sawyer kinda counts too.) Friends, set in one of the most diverse places on the planet — Manhattan — was famously lacking in racial and ethnic diversity. (Seinfeld too.) The West Wing added the African-American character Charlie Young (Dulé Hill) to its cast after the pilot episode when some people noted it was odd the White House didn’t appear to have any people of color among its staff. And I see more Latino people driving through Beverly Hills every day on the way to work than have showed up on The CW’s 90210.

Tedious and pedantic? Totally. But it’s still worth pointing out, especially with shows like Glee and Grey’s Anatomy doing such a fabulous job capturing a wide viewing audience with a widely diverse cast of characters that also happen to realistically reflect real-life high schools and hospitals. So what TV shows have surprised you with their lack of diversity?

I can only ponder one thing at a time and this week it's pondering how the Steelers and the Packers get to start off 4-0 basically every single year because of the suckiness of the Bengals, Browns, Vikings and Lions year after year after year after year. Maybe next week I'll be able to realize why Worf couldn't love a man like Han Solo did to raise bounty money just before Luke and Obi-Wan hired him in that bar.

Gene Roddenberry would have never introduced a gay character to the series. He was incredibly particular about his creation and keep what he considered was a very positive outlook to our future. After he passed away you can notice the change in character development and the tone of some of the shows. DS9 was pretty dark and covered themes he was against.

But, to be perfectly honest, having someone announce they are gay character for a show is kind of lame. Who really cares is someone is gay or not? The only format I've seen it work in is for Modern Family and let's be honest, those two are the whole show as far as comedy goes. Al Bundy's wife is the whole show for all of us men.

Cowboys suck

TBone still sends me graphic text messages about his morning BM

wait, gays will create a negative future?

If someone stuck their trouser snake in my poop shoot it would definitely have a negative impact on my future.

How can gays create a future beyond themselves if they don't procreate?

Gays aren't dependent upon one another to procreate. THey wait for us heteros to accidentally create another one. :wacko:

Except if they say the word "linear" one more time in the first episode I'm gonna have to shank a bitch.

Not linear...

...'in a linear existence'.

That episode turned me off DS9. Captain Lung Cancer's quest for a spirit totem killed Voyager for me. ST:TNG... they should have renamed the ship Pacific Princess because it was like watching the Adventures of Captain Stubing and Wonder Boy.

Just painful.

The original series was absolutely cheesy by today's standards, but for the time it was edgy in the sense that it tackled a lot of themes that weren't explored much in television at the time-- racism, class warfare, the erosion of myth/religon in modern life, the corrupting effect of power, etc. It seemed like the later shows became about pointless space battles and horribly contrived (but irrelevant) crew disputes.

:wacko:

that's certainly true of Star Trek.

I recently read a book by Joe Haldeman (sci-fi), I think it was Forever Peace or maybe it was Forever War. But the population was becoming a problem before they really started settling other planets and over the course of a couple hundred years, homosexuality was encouraged and eventually mandated (cloning). Eventually, it seems like homosexuality will become a necessity for a large part of the population or some kind of sterilization that can be reversed when you're ready and approved for having kids.

Only for certain ethnic groups will this be done. Hell, half of Europe is experiencing negative population growth among their indigenous population. In the US honkies are running into the same problem, they are barely replacing the parents.

:wacko:

that's certainly true of Star Trek.

I recently read a book by Joe Haldeman (sci-fi), I think it was Forever Peace or maybe it was Forever War. But the population was becoming a problem before they really started settling other planets and over the course of a couple hundred years, homosexuality was encouraged and eventually mandated (cloning). Eventually, it seems like homosexuality will become a necessity for a large part of the population or some kind of sterilization that can be reversed when you're ready and approved for having kids.

I read that one too. It's Forever War. That part was really weird, but the rest of the book was pretty solid. An interesting take on war as a space soldier.