[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Day I Realized I was Old

SayItAintSoJoe

It took a while to come to the realization as I'm now 42, but last week it finally happened.

I took part in a "father and son" basketball game last week at my son's school. I exercise regularly and am in pretty good shape for my age so the realization didn't come in regards to stamina or my b-ball skills. Instead it happened right as the game was about to start.

There were 10 dads on the father's team and right before the game started we were all sitting on the bench side by side. Just then I decided for whatever reason to look at everyone's shoes and sure enough 9 out of the 10 dads (myself included) were wearing "New Balance" shoes. At that very moment I realized that I was no longer young, or hip. I thought about my wardrobe, the car I drive, my day to day activities and I came to the realization that I'm officially an old guy.

But thats okay. I'm alright with it.

Now off to look for a sports car. :wacko:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I told this story on here before. About a year and a half ago , one of the cocktail waitresses at the place I bartend at told me I look like her boyfriends father.

I think I told this story on here before. About a year and a half ago , one of the cocktail waitresses at the place I bartend at told me I look like her boyfriends father.

Ouch!

I have a similar story. I have a bank card that has my picture on it but the picture is about 5 years old. Back then I was about 25 lbs heavier. So a couple of weeks ago I hand the card to this nice looking young cashier and she looks at the picture and says "you look different than you did on this picture". I'm grinning inside because I think that her next remark will be about my weight loss. Instead she says "you had more hair on this picture".

The first time that I particularly felt old is when I saw a girl at the mall and realized that she was too young for me.

The second time is when I noted that the Playmate of the Month was born after I graduated from high school.

The third time is when I met a girl at a club and discovered that I had tried a case against her father.

I wonder what's next? :wacko:

The first time I felt dated, I was actually reasonably young. It was in the early 90s and I was hanging out at a coffee shop and these guys were going through LPs for a DJ party that was going on that night at a club. This kid, who wasn't that young was checking them out.

"Wow, it looks like there's music on both sides!"

Kid had only ever seen CDs.

As far as feeling old, I do all the time. Working in the restaurant biz, I've got no shortage of employees that are barely half my age.

Ouch!

I have a similar story. I have a bank card that has my picture on it but the picture is about 5 years old. Back then I was about 25 lbs heavier. So a couple of weeks ago I hand the card to this nice looking young cashier and she looks at the picture and says "you look different than you did on this picture". I'm grinning inside because I think that her next remark will be about my weight loss. Instead she says "you had more hair on this picture".

:wacko:

It took a while to come to the realization as I'm now 42, but last week it finally happened.

I took part in a "father and son" basketball game last week at my son's school. I exercise regularly and am in pretty good shape for my age so the realization didn't come in regards to stamina or my b-ball skills. Instead it happened right as the game was about to start.

There were 10 dads on the father's team and right before the game started we were all sitting on the bench side by side. Just then I decided for whatever reason to look at everyone's shoes and sure enough 9 out of the 10 dads (myself included) were wearing "New Balance" shoes. At that very moment I realized that I was no longer young, or hip. I thought about my wardrobe, the car I drive, my day to day activities and I came to the realization that I'm officially an old guy.

But thats okay. I'm alright with it.

Now off to look for a sports car. :tup:

:wacko:

I wear New Balance shoes for work (only because anything else would kill your feet I don't care how old you are) and I'm 42 as well. The shoe's don't bother me, its the gray hair I plucked out of my ear last night.

I think it came when I was listening to the radio trying to find a new station. I finally stumbled on a station that had great songs and I knew all the words. Then they stuck the knife in and turned it - "Golden Oldies".

I realized I was old when the majority of the TV stations I was watching almost exclusively featured ads for Life Alert and for meds used to combat constipation, heartburn, erectile dysfunction, baldness, and pain. :wacko:

Edited by Chargerz

I realized I was old when the majority of the TV stations I was watching almost exclusively featured ads for Life Alert and for meds used to combat constipation, heartburn, erectile dysfunction, baldness, and pain. :wacko:

Stop watching Murder She Wrote and Judge Judy . Problem solved.

I finished washing my hands today and looked in the mirror to see numerous grey hairs near the side burn area, I don't have side burns, but where they would start is greying fast. I am only 36 and sick to my stomach about it.

I finished washing my hands today and looked in the mirror to see numerous grey hairs near the side burn area, I don't have side burns, but where they would start is greying fast. I am only 36 and sick to my stomach about it.

If you have ear hair is it grey?

When I realized I was older as my buddies "way older" brother who visited us in college. He seemed like a pathetic middle age guy trying to relive glory days. Now I'm just a pathetic middle age guy trying to get a baby to bed on time so I can have an hour for myself.