[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would you let your kids play football?

Chief Dick

Would you let your kids play football?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you let your kids play football?

• Yes
    • No

my kids are not going to go pro or even come close to touching a football scholarship, hence I say "no"

too much risk with too little chance for reward

they can learn about competition, teamwork and sportsmanship in some other sport

my kids are not going to go pro or even come close to touching a football scholarship, hence I say "no"

to me, that seems like a reason to say 'yes'. it's prolonged play at higher levels that creates long term danger. playing pee wee and maybe into high school, I don't see as much danger. not even close, actually. personally, I got worse injuries playing baseball. :wacko:

to me, that seems like a reason to say 'yes'. it's prolonged play at higher levels that creates long term danger. playing pee wee and maybe into high school, I don't see as much danger. not even close, actually. personally, I got worse injuries playing baseball. :wacko:

+1

My 6 year old is starting this summer and my 5 year old next summer. I went down last year and watched his league practice and there wasnt any serious hitting. My sons and their cousins wrestle around in the yard harder than they play football.

Edited by fingfootball

But, does playing baseball provide repeated blows to the head?

This is a tough subject for me and the wife. I never played football, but I played soccer, where I headed plenty of soccer balls in my life.

I know that I don't want to be an overprotective father, but I also believe my job is to protect my kids from as much danger as I can. I've always tried to live my life as trying to eliminate "known" risk in order to make my quality of life better. So I'm trying to go down that road somewhat with the kids.

I find it cool that I can now answer queries about kids. :wacko:

In this case, since I just have a girl, the answer is still cloudy. If I had a boy - and I plan to - I'd say yes.

Let's just say that my parents were not too keen on me playing football when I was a teenager. I wish I would have pushed them harder, because I honestly think I would have been halfway decent. I'd hate for my kids to regret something like this.

The inherent injury risk is there with all sports. I got knocked around real good in soccer and basketball. Obviously it's a different animal with football so I can see how the question would arise.

I assume that any hesitancy would be based on the fact the father did not play when growing up??

I don't know, my hesitancy comes from more and more evidence that concussions are very common in football, AND there are long term effects from it.

You don't push them to play or not play. You leave the choice to them. If their interests lead to them wanting to play football.... then let them.

My boy played rugby (where they have no protective pads, etc.) in Scotland and never got hurt. When we came back to the states he went out for football (full pads and all that stuff).....and immediately got hurt. :wacko: But it was his choice.

Nothing can be done about how they lean in their interests. If they are sports minded and want to play.... then you support that. At least that is my view.

Being worried about them getting hurt by going out for sports isn't productive for you or them. Heck... just about everything, including staying home and doing nothing, is dangerous. No way for the kids to go through life with you saying "No you can't do that, you might get hurt."

Just my view.

But, does playing baseball provide repeated blows to the head?

This is a tough subject for me and the wife. I never played football, but I played soccer, where I headed plenty of soccer balls in my life.

I know that I don't want to be an overprotective father, but I also believe my job is to protect my kids from as much danger as I can. I've always tried to live my life as trying to eliminate "known" risk in order to make my quality of life better. So I'm trying to go down that road somewhat with the kids.

its an interesting question, but after some thought, it became pretty easy to answer for me: yes, I'd let them play if they wanted to.

My decision came down to what you state above: that you feel its your "job is to protect my kids from as much danger as I can. I've always tried to live my life as trying to eliminate "known" risk in order to make my quality of life better".

I wondered about that for a bit, but came to the realization that there are way too many things this thought process applies to. For instance, should they not be allowed in cars because of the danger of accidents, and instead be required to walk short distances in order to eliminate known risk? Should they not be allowed to ride skateboards, bicycles, ice skate, roller blade, etc, all of which increase those known "risks" because of the danger of falling and hitting their head?

I'd hate to be 50 years old, and my 20 year-old son comes to me and says "Dad, I'd have loved to have played football (or whatever)...how come you never let me as a kid when I'd have enjoyed it the most?". I could try to come up with a catchy answer about not wanting them to get hurt, about loving them so much....it would be quicker and easier, though, to just say I was an active part of the pussification of America.

At some point, you let your kids start living....football is just one of many sports that can be dangerous (ice hockey, baseball are others that afford an opportunity to get severly injured should the worst happen).

I don't know, my hesitancy comes from more and more evidence that concussions are very common in football, AND there are long term effects from it.

They just fall all over each other when they play early.

I concussed myself 3 times playing and once playing rugby in college. I am dain bramaged, but aren't we all? Just a different part of the brain.

My son liked it up to 8th grade until a 180lb kid landed on his leg and snaped it and tore the growth plate apart in his ankle, the year before he broke his other leg playin. He said screw it i wanna snowboard and longboard. He does that and plays Varsity golf & tennis and likes it.

Another thing is the type of coach they have, i was always an assistant and kept the boys positive when the coach and his playbook was chargin to the Superbowl in his mind :wacko:

brack in the day we all loved playin football in the yard and couldn't wait ta get on a real team, these days i never see a group of kids playin football in a yard or anywhere, frickin video games killed that.

My kid wears a skirt, not a chance. And, no, she is not allowed to date anyone who plays football, either. Nor is she allowed to date her soccer coach or teammates.

I have a cousin who is a high school senior and played all four years on the varsity team at o-line and d-line. He has a 4.6 GPA and was just accepted to Wesleyen with an academic scholarship and will play o-line for them too (D3).

My wife's nephew is a junior, plays center and long snapper and has gotten letters from a few D1 schools.

My cousin is more of a brain than a jock type, but football has given him loads of self esteem and enhanced his hs career immensely. I do think the experience will be a major positive effect in his life for years to come. And, how amazing will it be for all of us in his family to go see him play college ball? I can't friggin wait.

The wife's nephew is more of a natural socially and with the ladies, and is also a good student. He is considered one of the top long snappers in the state and will have a wide variety of schools to choose from. He will probably get at least a partial scholarship too.

I would let my kids play. You can't live in fear. I'd make sure they had the best equipment and fully understood the risks as they got older. There is a risk of injury in any sport, but the benefits outweigh them IMO.

:wacko: i remember in grade school the PE teacher brought out this ghey ball and said we couldn't kick it with our foot like kickball and we can't use our hands. We just kept kickin the ghey ball over the fence into the street. PE teacher was cool and said "i know i hate it too"

HS at the earliest.

But probably not.

I think this is more dangerous than letting him play when he is young. If he first puts the pads on in HS he will have none of the fundamentals under his belt and would be at a great disadvantage and probably more at risk to get hurt do to lack of technique.

As far as CD's question. I played football from age 7-17 and was never seriously injured. I have tons of friends that played with me all of those years and never had an injury that a cast couldnt heal up. I am sure the equipment is 10 times better now. Of course there is a chance your kid can get injured but weigh that against the tremendous fun and camaraderie they will gain , if they do want to play and enjoy it, and thats a dice roll I will take.

Sky makes a great point. The boys have to want to play. My brother has a friend that is a ems. He said they get called more to the soccer field than the football field. I respect you concern over your childs well being. Your question is 100% legit and it is smart to evaluate before you dive in. IMO give them the victory pants and let them have at it on the football field. If I had boys and they wanted to play, it would be on :wacko: We would just have to sedate my wife on game day :tup: Good luck with your decision CD