[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Extended Warranty/ Protection plans

whomper

I have had insurance on my cell phones. I've used it several times. I call on Tuesday and I have the new phone on Wednesday.

How do you call if yer cell phone is busted?

I have had insurance on my cell phones. I've used it several times. I call on Tuesday and I have the new phone on Wednesday.

That seems silly considering how cheap (or free) it is to get something else. My wife and I both have iPhones, mine was stolen, she took hers swimming. In both occassions, some tech-junkie friend who had stepped up to the iPhone 4 was able to come through with their old 3G. Synched that baby up to the computer and we were off and running. Better still, my wife was able to do the rice in a bag trick with her soaked phone and it is working again. So now we've got an extra kicking around (that she's had to dip into since because she keeps soaking her freaking phone! :wacko:

And, worst case, if we didn't know someone who had a 3G buried in a desk somewhere, we could have gone on ebay and bought the same for $25 or so.

In our case, since we were using 3G phones anyway, it wasn't even a down-grade. I guess it would have sucked a bit if we'd been using 4Gs and had to step back, but depending on how long we had to go until we could get a discounted upgrade, I'm sure we could have managed.

I never do but I bought the accident insurance for my iPad. It covers pretty much anything for the 1st year. There's a few glitches in the early devices such as LCD leak which Im sure they'll fix by this time next year. So, about a month prior, I'll drop it and crack it then get a new one free of charge. :wacko:

Plus, my kid loves the iPad so I'm sure he'll drop it at least once this year.

+1

My four young kids break more things than we can remember. I got the store insurance on all of their iPod Touchs (I think it was like $30 on a $200 item), and we have used it all three times. Also used it on their Nintendo DS (the top got bent back to far and broke off)....Nintendo sent me a new one in 3 days. Anything of decent value I buy for them, I usually get the warranty. Small incremental charge for peace of mind.

We also got the 5-year protection plan on our new living furniture. Protects it against anything except pet stains or pet abuse. With four kids, it was an easy decision to make. If they can't fix it or get the stain out, they replace it. $250 on a $4K purchase.I have a feeling we'll have their techs out a number of times to refinish chair legs or cabinet scratches before that warranty expires.

Other things the kids don't touch or potentially abuse (appliances, TVS), I just buy good brands, charge it with my AMEX (which doubles the manufacturers warranty), and hope for the best. In recent memory, we've never had a dud with anything.

I probably would have walked. I don't react well to the hard sell.

And i'm pretty much in the same camp as most everyone else here. I get it on the big ticket items, but not on the small to mid-range stuff.

I never used to but I had a run of bad luck with my washer and dryer so when I got new ones I went ahead and spent the money for the 5 year warranty knowing that I most likely just insured that they would never break. Turns out we used it on the dryer like 6-7 times to have a guy come out to try and correct a noise and once on the door seal for the washer so I came out ahead.

Went back to HH Gregg for a new dishwasher and decided to do the same thing. The sales guy was so stunned by my request for the extended warranty that he went ahead and gave me his pitch anyway. It almost reminded me why I never used to buy it so I asked him to stop talking before I changed my mind :wacko:

Went back to HH Gregg for a new dishwasher and decided to do the same thing. The sales guy was so stunned by my request for the extended warranty that he went ahead and gave me his pitch anyway. It almost reminded me why I never used to buy it so I asked him to stop talking before I changed my mind :tup:

:wacko:

Once approach you might try when approached by a salesman:

I'm looking to buy a television. I do not want, and I am not going to buy, a warranty, or cables, or a stand or screen cleaner. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if I even start thinking about a warranty, or cables or a stand or screen cleaner, I'm going to change my mind about buying the tv.

Can you work with me?

That seems silly considering how cheap (or free) it is to get something else. My wife and I both have iPhones, mine was stolen, she took hers swimming. In both occassions, some tech-junkie friend who had stepped up to the iPhone 4 was able to come through with their old 3G. Synched that baby up to the computer and we were off and running. Better still, my wife was able to do the rice in a bag trick with her soaked phone and it is working again. So now we've got an extra kicking around (that she's had to dip into since because she keeps soaking her freaking phone! :wacko:

And, worst case, if we didn't know someone who had a 3G buried in a desk somewhere, we could have gone on ebay and bought the same for $25 or so.

In our case, since we were using 3G phones anyway, it wasn't even a down-grade. I guess it would have sucked a bit if we'd been using 4Gs and had to step back, but depending on how long we had to go until we could get a discounted upgrade, I'm sure we could have managed.

I bought my iPhone at Best Buy. The girl there gave me the hard sell on the protection plan. I'd already read up on it and knew that even if I wanted a protection plan, it wasn't going to be through Best Buy. I said, well, if I want one, I can get it any time in the next 30 days, right? She said yes, but then they have to mark the phone as a "return" and do the sale over again to include the protection plan, so I might as well get it right then. Eh, no thanks. Then she said one woman wanted to get the protection plan but had to wait for her paycheck to come in, and when it did, it was the 31st day since she bought the phone, and she couldn't get the protection plan. So I guess if you're living paycheck-to-paycheck and you want the protection plan for your new iPhone, you better pawn whatever you can and get the plan right away!

It's a simple question of pot odds. Do you think one in every 5 exercise bikes breaks in the first 2 years? If yes, buy the plan.

I would postulate that if you expect their to be a 20% failure rate within two years you shouldn't be buying that type of bike anyway.

I would postulate that if you expect their to be a 20% failure rate within two years you shouldn't be buying that type of bike anyway.

And if you factor in actual usage after 3 months that failure rate probably decreases dramatically. Now if they could give you a warranty on your failure to USE the machine that would be worth something.

Let me ask this - doesnt a portion of the extended warranty overlap the factory warranty - when my wife bought her car they pitched a five year warranty - but the factory warranty was three - so they asked us to pay for five years and it was really two??

most factory warranty's only cover full parts and labor for the first 90 days....the remaining 9 months of the 1st year is "limited"...this is for TV's and such, but the car should be a different story...

and as I said before, if you're buying a 46" TV or larger anymore......and you're buying from Sears or Costco - get the frickin warranty....the other stores, from what I've seen and heard do not cover near what these two companies do...