[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Round 1 Recap

Brentastic

:wacko: thank you, I heard on the radio just a bit ago that he's pretty much like Jon Runyan with his style of play and aggressiveness....but either comparison is fine with me...

He was talking about how he used to be a defenseman when he played hockey in HS. The fact that a few years later he would play at a JUCO, then transfer to Baylor, then be a first round pick is an awesome story. He'll be extremely easy to root for though.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Mayock guy but he doesn't have a round 2 mock. So here's Kiper's round 2 mock:

We knew the first round mock draft would be blown to bits the first time a trade went down. But why not have a little more fun and take a look at how the second round might go based on what we've heard, and just a logical matching of value and needs. So take this with a grain of salt, but here's one interpretation of how things could play out on Friday.

New England Patriots (from CAR)

Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona Natural pass-rushing threat in the 3-4 defensive scheme.

Buffalo Bills

Martez Wilson, LB, IllinoisBills need help at linebacker, Wilson is best interior linebacker in the draft.

Cincinnati Bengals

Andy Dalton, QB, TCUGreat value here at a position they have to address given Carson Palmer's status

Denver Broncos

Aaron Williams, CB, TexasBroncos need help at cornerback and Champ Bailey isn't getting any younger.

Cleveland Browns

Titus Young, WR, Boise StateYoung is a guy I thought could slip into the first round. Browns add another target for Colt McCoy.

Arizona Cardinals

Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre DameBest tight end in the draft to a team that needs one.

Tennessee Titans

Bruce Carter, LB, UNCCarter has to play in a 4-3 system, but he should be a starter in this league for a long time.

Dallas Cowboys

Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (FL)Cowboys need help at corner. Harris is a borderline first-round talent.

Washington Redskins

Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia TechRedskins get the second-best running back in the draft. He could have easily slipped into the first round.

Houston Texans

Rahim Moore, S, UCLAHouston's secondary was a disaster in 2010. Moore is the best safety in this class.

Minnesota Vikings

Da'Quan Bowers, DE, ClemsonIf Bowers is healthy, this is a potential top-five pick. Tremendous value at this point and worth the risk.

Detroit Lions

Curtis Brown, CB, TexasLions get a first-round steal, address an obvious need in Round 2.

San Francisco 49ers

Colin Kaepernick, QB, NevadaSan Francisco passed on a quarterback in Round 1. Here's an arm for Jim Harbaugh to develop.

Denver Broncos (from MIA)

Christian Ballard, DT, IowaMight be a bit of a reach here, but Denver needs help on the defensive line.

St. Louis Rams

Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (FL)Sam Bradford gets another much-needed offensive target to work with.

Oakland Raiders

Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon StateOakland needs a clogger on the defensive line. The powerful Paea fits the bill.

Washington Redskins (from JAX)

Torrey Smith, WR, MarylandWashington needs to find some solutions at wide receiver. Smith is a good start.

San Diego Chargers

Randall Cobb, WR, KentuckyPhilip Rivers can make it work with anybody, but San Diego could use more talent at wide receiver.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jah Reid, OT, UCFTampa Bay adds some protection as they continue to develop that offense.

New York Giants

Quan Sturdivant, LB, UNCGiants are desperate for help at linebacker. Sturdivant should have an immediate impact.

Indianapolis Colts

Jabaal Sheard, DE, PittsburghColts need to add bulk up front. Sheard offers good value here.

Philadelphia Eagles

Brandon Burton, CB, UtahI thought Philadelphia might target a cornerback in Round 1. The Eagles get one instead in Round 2.

Kansas City Chiefs

Orlando Franklin, G, Miami (FL)Added protection for Matt Cassel and a good run blocker as Scott Pioli builds his lines.

New England Patriots (from NOR)

Rodney Hudson, C, Florida State New England needed help along the offensive line. It got Nate Solder in Round 1. It'll get more help here.

Seattle Seahawks

Ryan Mallett, QB, ArkansasSeattle has uncertainty at the quarterback position. Mallett has a first-round arm. He's worth the risk here.

Baltimore Ravens

Greg Little, WR, UNCBaltimore needs a deep threat. Little can provide just that.

Cleveland Browns (from ATL)

Justin Houston, DE, GeorgiaHouston is a great value this late in Round 2. He's a tweener but offers a lot of potential as a pass rusher.

New England Patriots

Mikel Leshoure, RB, IllinoisNew England opted to pass on Mark Ingram in Round 1. Leshoure adds a new dimension to the Pats' running game.

San Diego Chargers (from NYJ)

Ras-I Dowling, CB, VirginiaA first-round talent that was injured most of last season. Great value pick here.

Chicago Bears

Marvin Austin, DT, UNCBears get great value here at the end of Round 2.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Benjamin Ijalana, T, VillanovaPittsburgh needs help on the offensive line. Ijalana has good versatility, can move inside.

Green Bay Packers

Johnny Patrick, CB, LouisvilleGreen Bay are aging at cornerback. Patrick gives them an infusion of youth.

I'm a Mayock guy but he doesn't have a round 2 mock. So here's Kiper's round 2 mock:

We knew the first round mock draft would be blown to bits the first time a trade went down. But why not have a little more fun and take a look at how the second round might go based on what we've heard, and just a logical matching of value and needs. So take this with a grain of salt, but here's one interpretation of how things could play out on Friday.

New England Patriots (from CAR)

Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona Natural pass-rushing threat in the 3-4 defensive scheme.

Buffalo Bills

Martez Wilson, LB, IllinoisBills need help at linebacker, Wilson is best interior linebacker in the draft.

Cincinnati Bengals

Andy Dalton, QB, TCUGreat value here at a position they have to address given Carson Palmer's status

Denver Broncos

Aaron Williams, CB, TexasBroncos need help at cornerback and Champ Bailey isn't getting any younger.

Cleveland Browns

Titus Young, WR, Boise StateYoung is a guy I thought could slip into the first round. Browns add another target for Colt McCoy.

Arizona Cardinals

Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre DameBest tight end in the draft to a team that needs one.

Tennessee Titans

Bruce Carter, LB, UNCCarter has to play in a 4-3 system, but he should be a starter in this league for a long time.

Dallas Cowboys

Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (FL)Cowboys need help at corner. Harris is a borderline first-round talent.

Washington Redskins

Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia TechRedskins get the second-best running back in the draft. He could have easily slipped into the first round.

Houston Texans

Rahim Moore, S, UCLAHouston's secondary was a disaster in 2010. Moore is the best safety in this class.

Minnesota Vikings

Da'Quan Bowers, DE, ClemsonIf Bowers is healthy, this is a potential top-five pick. Tremendous value at this point and worth the risk.

Detroit Lions

Curtis Brown, CB, TexasLions get a first-round steal, address an obvious need in Round 2.

San Francisco 49ers

Colin Kaepernick, QB, NevadaSan Francisco passed on a quarterback in Round 1. Here's an arm for Jim Harbaugh to develop.

Denver Broncos (from MIA)

Christian Ballard, DT, IowaMight be a bit of a reach here, but Denver needs help on the defensive line.

St. Louis Rams

Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (FL)Sam Bradford gets another much-needed offensive target to work with.

Oakland Raiders

Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon StateOakland needs a clogger on the defensive line. The powerful Paea fits the bill.

Washington Redskins (from JAX)

Torrey Smith, WR, MarylandWashington needs to find some solutions at wide receiver. Smith is a good start.

San Diego Chargers

Randall Cobb, WR, KentuckyPhilip Rivers can make it work with anybody, but San Diego could use more talent at wide receiver.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jah Reid, OT, UCFTampa Bay adds some protection as they continue to develop that offense.

New York Giants

Quan Sturdivant, LB, UNCGiants are desperate for help at linebacker. Sturdivant should have an immediate impact.

Indianapolis Colts

Jabaal Sheard, DE, PittsburghColts need to add bulk up front. Sheard offers good value here.

Philadelphia Eagles

Brandon Burton, CB, UtahI thought Philadelphia might target a cornerback in Round 1. The Eagles get one instead in Round 2.

Kansas City Chiefs

Orlando Franklin, G, Miami (FL)Added protection for Matt Cassel and a good run blocker as Scott Pioli builds his lines.

New England Patriots (from NOR)

Rodney Hudson, C, Florida State New England needed help along the offensive line. It got Nate Solder in Round 1. It'll get more help here.

Seattle Seahawks

Ryan Mallett, QB, ArkansasSeattle has uncertainty at the quarterback position. Mallett has a first-round arm. He's worth the risk here.

Baltimore Ravens

Greg Little, WR, UNCBaltimore needs a deep threat. Little can provide just that.

Cleveland Browns (from ATL)

Justin Houston, DE, GeorgiaHouston is a great value this late in Round 2. He's a tweener but offers a lot of potential as a pass rusher.

New England Patriots

Mikel Leshoure, RB, IllinoisNew England opted to pass on Mark Ingram in Round 1. Leshoure adds a new dimension to the Pats' running game.

San Diego Chargers (from NYJ)

Ras-I Dowling, CB, VirginiaA first-round talent that was injured most of last season. Great value pick here.

Chicago Bears

Marvin Austin, DT, UNCBears get great value here at the end of Round 2.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Benjamin Ijalana, T, VillanovaPittsburgh needs help on the offensive line. Ijalana has good versatility, can move inside.

Green Bay Packers

Johnny Patrick, CB, LouisvilleGreen Bay are aging at cornerback. Patrick gives them an infusion of youth.

If Dowling gets snagged two picks prior to the Steelers............I'm going to be very angry. :wacko:

Would LOVE to see the Vikings get Bowers that late! Oh man... setting myself up for heartbreak here.

I'm hoping that he drops just one more spot. Bowers, Suh, Fairley, Vanden Bosch and Cliff Avril would make quite an impressive defensive line.

I could probably take the f'n :wacko: off.

They did . . . the Bears screwed up a trade with teh Ravens so they missed the time frame. Now the Ravens are pissed and want the Bears 4th round pick as compensation.

Sounds good to me! :wacko:

:tup:

You have to be aware of what's going on around you.

Mr. Suh might have something to say about Chris Farley's attitude if it becomes an issue.

Forgot the :tup: last post.

:lol:

Dude! I know it's been 15+ years since anyone talked smack against your team but that's no reason to fold like a cheap suit at the first push back in over a decade.

:wacko:

Dude! I know it's been 15+ years since anyone talked smack against your team but that's no reason to fold like a cheap suit at the first push back in over a decade.

:wacko:

You have no idea.

:tup:

Mike Mayock had this one pegged in his mock. With Denver in shambles on the defensive side of the ball, and a ton of DT's in the draft you take Miller at one, then Austin or Piea in the 2nd. They'll get a stout DT at 2, but have bookend pass rushers in Elvis and Miller.

four picks in the 1st three rounds and the broncos didn't draft a DT...while I love Miller as a player I don't think he is a great fit for the Broncos

Dumerville has no business playing LB in a 4-3 scheme. None. Much better use of talent to put him at DE and draft a LB.

This

You may be right, but what makes you say that? I've never seen him in that roll and when he moved into OLB in the 3-4, he was a freaking monster. Move him to the weak side with his speed and he could be crazy good on pass rush.

Dude you are :wacko: and need to read up on the responsibilities that positions have in the 4-3 vs the 3-4 Link (from 2007 so ignore the teams and the D's it says they play but the article will help you understand the positions and their responsibilities better.

4-3 OLBs have to - repeat, HAVE TO - have coverage ability, and that means TEs and RBs, maybe even an occasional slot receiver. Dumervil doesn't have that ability. Let him put his hand in the dirt & rush and you are using him to his strength. Even then, he should be no more than a situational rusher given how much ground he gives on running plays. He's not a reader, shedder, & scraper. He's a close-contact speed rusher.

This, again!

That's why I suggested moving him to the weak side. He has great speed and putting him on the weak side would give him that cushion to bounce of the TE/DE blocking and create a ton of pressure on the QB. As a DE in the 4-3, I think he was good but nothing exceptional. He almost bloomed when he moved into the OLB position. Granted, I think he will do fine in the DE, but I think we could have benefited utilizing the talent we already have and adding additions we are very weak at.

Just to reiterate, I like Miller allot and he will be a fine addition to Denver. But as you mentioned about Dumervil's weaknesses, Miller also is from a 3-4 background and will need to adapt to the new scheme.

Same as I said earlier :tup: and fwiw, I don't think Miller is a great fit for Denver and would have been a much better fit for a 3-4 team as a rush OLB, ala Ware.

I agree totally. I'm loving the Carimi pick! For once the Bears took the right guy!! We got lucky because if the Bears wouldn't have botched that trade we'd have Baldwin instead.

I was really hoping that the Eagles took Carimi at 23.