[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Navy Seals / Green Berets

whomper

OK children, here is how it is:

All the branches of the armed forces have an elite, highly trained unit that showcases that particular branch's type of service. To say one is more badass than another is inappropriate. They all have certain missions that they are more capable of performing than some of the others. They all combine superior physical conditioning with mental toughness and professional skills. Without a doubt they are dedicated, self-sacrificing, noble, patriotic, ball-busting, highly motivated, ready to give their life for another, true blue, AMERICANS! :wacko:

And I agree that they probably don't make very good family men. Dad was one of the original Green Berets. He was in several of their recruiting broucheres back in the early 60s. Never home (which partly explains why he and Mom got divorced after 6 years of marriage).

And the Marines are a part of the Department of the Navy. The MENS Department.

Hoo-rah.

'72-'76

I always respected the Marines that worked for the Navy. Most of them were good guys and could play the $hit out of spades. Anyone who isn't smart enough to get into an actual branch of the military and still wants to serve their country is all right by me.

:tup: Hard to believe it's been twenty years.

What do you have when you have a Marine and a 7 year old? One person who can tie a shoe.

:wacko:

I just got a message from my cousin who is a SEAL that he was leaving from Baltimore to Kuwait then onto Afghanistan.. He always said that he couldn't tell anyone when he was leaving but he told his patents and I the day he left. This is his first tour as a sniper and I am a bit nervous about his deployment.

I hope he makes it back...

I had a student back around 1980 that was a Seal. 6'5" ~275#'s of solid muscle.

I went out w/ him a few times for a few beers. He was kinda scary. He said that he was trained to act w/o consideration for anything else. We talked about the training and his stories would make your hair curl. He never said a word about any OP's he was on. He was discharged w/ a medical @ 28 yo(enlisted @18 yo.). He said he just couldn't adjust to normal life, but he obviously had trouble in the Navy also. He claimed, his words, "They F'd w/ my head and I just couldn't deal w/ it anymore!". He only lasted about 1 semester in my classes and I never heard from him again.

I also remember talking to a friend of my Bro's who was CIA during Vietnam. He said the biggest problem w/ some of these guys was they were sent out on a "95% no chance of return from the mission". In his words "BUT They came back!!!". He said "We never knew what to do w/ them afterward except to keep sending them out".

If you think about it, it IS very sad. The price of war IMHO is too costly.

The Air Force has 2. Pararescue and Combat Control which fall under the same ubrella. I actually went to the qualifying test to get into the training school. There were about 300+ guys who entered this test. I can't remember the exact details but it started with a swim that I think was a mile and a half in which you had to finish in 15 minutes?? Then you immediately do a mile and half run in which you had 12 minutes (again, I think). Then a variety of other basic strength/endurance tests (flutter kicks, pushups, situps, pullups...). After the swim, there were literally about 20 of us left - the swim knocked out 90% of the population which is probably why it's first. By the end of it, I was one of 6 guys left standing for the last test which was pull-ups. I've never been a strong guy, especially at 18 and the very last challenge was pullups in which 7 were required and while I 'did' 7 of them 2 of them did not count according to the guy counting for me. I was pissed at the time to make it so far and just miss but it was probably for the best. That was just the test to get into the school which would have been another 16 months or so of training. Only 1 guy out of the 300+ actually passed each test and was accepted into the school.

Later when I was in tech school at Keesler AFB, the floor of my dorm was shared by Combat Controllers. I became pretty good friends with one of them. We played A LOT of basketball etc... When I saw it full circle and realized what this guy's life was, I was damn glad I never did it. All they do is run and swim (in the ocean). It's no joke, that's for sure.

My cousin's half brother (it's a bit complicated) is a member of Paraescue.

Apparently, according to my cousin, the life expectancy of someone in Pararescue is five years.

I had a boss who was a retired

Navy Seal. Luckily I didn't have to deal with him much since I worked independently out of the office. He was a very smart guy and after leaving the Seals he went on to get his PhD in management. He wasn't at the company I worked for long, because what he enjoyed doing was taking on struggling companies in the outdoor industry, shaking them up, which meant lots of firing, and then hiring his cronies, and then moving on when the company was afloat. He did this three times. He then decided to become a professor.

I always felt I was being interrogated when we would have conversations. I also felt I was always being set up to see if I would slip up, so I could never be comfortable. Actually off the clock he was a really fun guy to be around, but I never had much off the clock time with him, and had to be very careful.

I wouldn't call him crazy, but he sure was intense, driven, and confrontational.

I just got a message from my cousin who is a SEAL that he was leaving from Baltimore to Kuwait then onto Afghanistan.. He always said that he couldn't tell anyone when he was leaving but he told his patents and I the day he left. This is his first tour as a sniper and I am a bit nervous about his deployment.

:tup:

My grandfather was always pretty secretive about his military service as well, I was going through some boxes a few weeks back and found a bunch of sniper medals, ribbons, and patches. Had no idea..knew he was a badass just didn't know he was a sniper.

All my best to your cousin.

Wishing him a safe return.

A guy both ATaM and I know from HS was a Ranger and was in Mogadishu for the event made famous by the movie Black Hawk Down. He served as an advisor on the film and I believe he may still have that role. Pretty badass stuff.