[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Slobs/Neat Freaks

matt770

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these applies to you and your spouse/SO?

• I am a neat freak and my spouse is a slob
    • I am a slob and my spouse is a neat freak
    • We're both slobs
    • We're both neat freaks
    • I am married to Puddy

I'm curious to know how often opposites in the clean/messy spectrum end up together.

I am a neat freak and my wife is a slob. I think she would clean more if I didn't have to have everything a certain way, and plus I work from home so I always have a spare hour or two to empty the dishwasher, vacuum, etc.

We fall into the Puddy space. I have to be neat and organized but dirt doesn't bother me. My wife hates dirt but can have chit scattered around the house.

I'm the only one in my family that isn't a neat freak so I grew up in a very clean house. My wife is a neat freak and while I don't know if I'd describe myself as a slob, I definitely don't "need" to have the kitchen clean EVERY night. If there is a lot going on, or we are low on sleep, or just tired from work, I can leave chit as it is and just catch up next time we get around to it. My OCDish wife must clean some areas or it'll keep her up at night. I think you neat freaks have a wire loose.

i am neat and organized, but am only phased when it hits a certain level. my wife is more sensistive to it. over the years she would get pissed because i don't dust or vaccum as often as her. she has learned that i am a check list kind of guy. if she wants me to do something i have asked her to throw it on a list and let me get to it as i see fit, rather than in the exact moment it bothers her.

I don't know how to describe what we are. I don't like dust and want a kitchen that is crazy clean. She is very clean in the way of putting things away and organizing but not into the detail of the things that bother me.

it's not quite so cut-and-dried, but I answered "I am a slob and she is a neat-freak"

This. I think we are both more middle of the road as different things bother us more. I get more annoyed when there are toys and just stuff lying around downstairs, but don't mind of the boys bedroom and playroom are a bit messy as that is what they are for. I am a "stacks" kind of person with the office, and I think she has given up on ever having me keep it super organized. On the opposite end, like Square, I don;t mind waiting till morning to do dishes etc., whereas she has to get everything done when she sees it, usually.

Sounds like Matt would make a great wife. He WORKS and does the dishes, laundry and vacuuming.

Sounds like Matt would make a great wife. He WORKS and does the dishes, laundry and vacuuming.

When we move to ATL, there is a good chance I will be reporting to an office at least 2-3 days a week, so there will definitely be a renegotiation. Especially if we have a pool that I will be maintaining.

I'm OCD about somethings and quite oblivious about others.

I think that I'm OCD ... but, when I hit a certain level, instead of obsessing about things I'm not OCD about and freak out, I simply ignore (completely) everything else. So, my shoes are a certain way in my closet and my toothbrush is a certain spot in the cabinet, but I'm happy to leave a dish on the counter in the kitchen or my jeans draped over a chair overnight. If I had less going on professionally, I may be more OCD about stuff in my personal life.

Wife is less OCD, but is far more likely to have "generally clean and picked up" environment. Where as I'll have clutter and or dirt around me, but a few things will be in pristine shape (like my baseball card collection is organized by manufacturer, by year, in numerical order, and each box stacked and organized in a specific manner) and the books in my office are organized "just so" ... all the while, there are weeds needing to be pulled in the flower bed, etc.

Funny story:

My dad is a neat / clean freak. He had a college roomie who was a total slob.

They got in a huge fight one day, and my dad's roomie told him, "You know, our systems are equally efficient -- it takes you 30 minutes to file something and 30 seconds to find it ... it takes me 30 seconds to file something and 30 minutes to find it."

Edited by muck

I definitely like things in their place, but I'm not a neat freak. I don't like toys and stuff just lying around or under foot, unless it is in the kid's rooms that is fine. My better half kind of has the same outlook but more "forgiving" on the toy front!

I definitely like things in their place, but I'm not a neat freak. I don't like toys and stuff just lying around or under foot, unless it is in the kid's rooms that is fine. My better half kind of has the same outlook but more "forgiving" on the toy front!

Depends on if they are kids toys or grown up toys, right?

I'm OCD about somethings and quite oblivious about others.

I think that I'm OCD ... but, when I hit a certain level, instead of obsessing about things I'm not OCD about and freak out, I simply ignore (completely) everything else. So, my shoes are a certain way in my closet and my toothbrush is a certain spot in the cabinet, but I'm happy to leave a dish on the counter in the kitchen or my jeans draped over a chair overnight. If I had less going on professionally, I may be more OCD about stuff in my personal life.

Wife is less OCD, but is far more likely to have "generally clean and picked up" environment. Where as I'll have clutter and or dirt around me, but a few things will be in pristine shape (like my baseball card collection is organized by manufacturer, by year, in numerical order, and each box stacked and organized in a specific manner) and the books in my office are organized "just so" ... all the while, there are weeds needing to be pulled in the flower bed, etc.

Exactly the same for me. Very meticulous about a few certain things and couldn't care less about everything else.

I'm a lot like you Muck. MrBunz used to be a neat freak...but I think I turned him into a slob......lol. Sorta.

I'm neat on vacation and about my work environment. I'm meticulous about my refrigerator and my bathrooms, but in general, I'm a borderline hoarder I think...lol. :tup: I have a hard time throwing things that could be used or recycled into the trash. (Mainly construction supplies) And my house is stashed with boxes of things for projects. Everything for my upstairs bath is sitting in my living room at the moment. Yes...there is a Kohler toilet in a box in my living room.

Not having a garage...my dining room has become my tool 'staging area'......lol.

This is why we are looking for a house with an 'outbuilding/second garage'......LOL. It could be a fresh start!

To give you an idea of how I shop bargains, then forget...our TV quit on us about 7 years ago. A few days later I was looking at a box in my bedroom. It was a big TV box and I thought there were comforters packed inside it. Then I saw the factory tape...pulled it out...voila! A new TV!! :wacko:

My wife & I are somewhere in between neat freak & slob.

Same here. We'll go through spells where we'll clean the holy heck out of our house, but it's usually not in perfect order. I really do like it better when things are in order and clean as heck, so it's kind of a wonder why it's not always like that. :wacko: