[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Truisms

WashingtonD

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Det, you're kind of looking at this as if it's universal that it's "getting too cute" to consider your opponent's lineup. There are other instances where that might not hold true (and possibly even in that case, depending on what players/lineups are involved), but that's probably why keggers was implying is that it's not a universal "truism".

Let's look at it the opposite way, and say your opponent has several guys on byes, and alot of questionable depth he has to start... Do you think it would be smart to just ignore his lineup and go with a high-upside feast-or-famine player who puts up a goose-egg some weeks, or would it maybe be better to go with a guy who scores less points, but consistently without all the boom-or-bust? It likely could be the latter, but again it's not a universal truth without looking at other factors, and is just another one you may want to consider (even though I agree you shouldn't overthink it)...

WD, just so we're clear, are you just looking for "truisms" that we've found to generally hold true, or just mass-perceptions that might even be easily debunked as untrue? I'm guessing the latter, since you can always find plenty of exceptions to any general rule if you look hard enough...

Edited by delusions of granduer

Det, you're kind of looking at this as if it's universal that it's "getting too cute" to consider your opponent's lineup. There are other instances where that might not hold true (and possibly even in that case, depending on what players/lineups are involved), but that's probably why keggers was implying is that it's not a universal "truism".

Let's look at it the opposite way, and say your opponent has several guys on byes, and alot of questionable depth he has to start... Do you think it would be smart to just ignore his lineup and go with a high-upside feast-or-famine player who puts up a goose-egg some weeks, or would it maybe be better to go with a guy who scores less points, but consistently without all the boom-or-bust? It likely could be the latter, but again it's not a universal truth without looking at other factors, and is just another one you may want to consider (even though I agree you shouldn't overthink it)...

WD, just so we're clear, are you just looking for "truisms" that we've found to generally hold true, or just mass-perceptions that might even be easily debunked as untrue? I'm guessing the latter, since you can always find plenty of exceptions to any general rule if you look hard enough...

But you don't start one guy. You start 9 or 12 or something like that. So, if you have guys who are feast or famine, but average more points than a guy who is reliable but pedestrian, I say you start them anyway. Assuming, of course, the match-ups they have back it up. In other words, you look at the line-up that is most likely to score you the most points and start that. Because, if your hit or miss guys put up good numbers on average, one may pick the other up.

In other words, I don't mess with it. There are far too many variables regarding who you should start without getting into things that truly have no effect on your team's ability to put up points. There's no need to complicate it any more than that. And, frankly, what you and keggerz brought up are far more sound reasons than many I've heard about letting your opponent's line-up affect yours. (Though not enough to change my mind in this case).

I mean, the notion of looking at your opponent gets worse. "He's got the QB, so I'll start the WR", inane reasons like that.

But, no, I think you look at your players, look at who they're playing, what the weather is, all the data that could effect how well your players will perform, and make your best guess. Starting someone who, based on the criteria I just mentioned did not make the cut, because of who you're playing, seems unwise.

But you don't start one guy. You start 9 or 12 or something like that. So, if you have guys who are feast or famine, but average more points than a guy who is reliable but pedestrian, I say you start them anyway. Assuming, of course, the match-ups they have back it up. In other words, you look at the line-up that is most likely to score you the most points and start that. Because, if your hit or miss guys put up good numbers on average, one may pick the other up.

In other words, I don't mess with it. There are far too many variables regarding who you should start without getting into things that truly have no effect on your team's ability to put up points. There's no need to complicate it any more than that. And, frankly, what you and keggerz brought up are far more sound reasons than many I've heard about letting your opponent's line-up affect yours. (Though not enough to change my mind in this case).

I mean, the notion of looking at your opponent gets worse. "He's got the QB, so I'll start the WR", inane reasons like that.

But, no, I think you look at your players, look at who they're playing, what the weather is, all the data that could effect how well your players will perform, and make your best guess. Starting someone who, based on the criteria I just mentioned did not make the cut, because of who you're playing, seems unwise.

Good points, so I think we can at least agree that your opponent's lineup should be a minor consideration at best.... But the bolded is actually a very good truism that drives me crazy... You should not let teammate connections influence your decision.

Man, I can't count how many times people fall into that faulty logic, when it's entirely possible and likely that you'll lose points on top of those you "counteracted"... I mean seriously, even if best case you counteract every TD the QB scores, you still lose if there was a WR who would have "counteracted" more of them, and lose bad if the QB has another favored target that day....

Edited by delusions of granduer

and this is mostly what I was alluding to.

I started off this looking for mass-perceptions that may or may not be true, but that a general fantasy football fan might hear and follow. But honestly, it's been very interesting reading what folks have felt are "truisms" for themselves individually

Don't celebrate a win before you actually won your game.

Win with class.

Never call someone your playing aginst when your just scored the winning TD against them or your destroying them during the games. They probably don't want to hear from you right now!

Never call someone your playing aginst when your just scored the winning TD against them or your destroying them during the games. They probably don't want to hear from you right now!

sorry....but I get pure enjoyment from doing just that.

ACL's really take 1 1/2 years to heal.

For rookie drafts - Draft for talent, not for the situation.

Sit down at any poker table where Whomper is a player.

A man with a whizzinator in his bag is not long for the NFL

Brett Favre is retiring

Fantasy Football is 95% luck, and 5% luck.

Know ALL the league rules before the season begins.

Drafting a decent QB on a "bad" team is better fantasy-wise than a decent QB on a "good" team.

Avoid RBs coached by Shanny The Rat.

Edited by Lucky11