[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bad news about the Missouri river

polksalet

That is an opinion piece right? I just wonder how factual it is? If it is really anywhere near the gloom and doom that this article paints then I just don't know what to think. This is a very dreadful situation if this is factual.

I have the problem with the statement that 1500 miles will be severed by the collapse of all infrastructure. There might be a few failed bridges in the worse-case scenario, but bridges are now designed for flooding and have deep enough footings usually to rock under the soil to prevent scour and account for moving soils. And a good number of bridges are built high enough to go over a flooded river. Plus other infrastructure is in a similar state. So there will not be that doomsday scene that he is assuming in that worst-case scenario.

I have the problem with the statement that 1500 miles will be severed by the collapse of all infrastructure. There might be a few failed bridges in the worse-case scenario, but bridges are now designed for flooding and have deep enough footings usually to rock under the soil to prevent scour and account for moving soils. And a good number of bridges are built high enough to go over a flooded river. Plus other infrastructure is in a similar state. So there will not be that doomsday scene that he is assuming in that worst-case scenario.

I think they meant 1500 meters.

I've seen some YouTube videos lately that apint a serious doom and gloom type of picture about this....I mean videos at the Missouri river, but there is nothing official by the news because they seem to be under-reporting the problem here which is scary...

there's a nuclear reactor I think that is surrounded by the flood which seems to be the cause for concern...

Yea, I live about 40 minutes from the power plant in Fort Calhoon. Fun times.

if you hear anything, let us know...there's very little info coming out of the mainstream media right now and then you have the polar opposite being reported on the alternative media sites which can be a bit on the extreme....the truth is usually somewhere in the middle, but it's tough to know where the middle actually is...

it's definently weird seein water where it shouldn't be and right under bridge slabs with cars goin over'm :wacko:

several reports are saying 5ft of more water is expected...not to mention what the link I posted says is coming down the Missouri river from Montana just spells an ugly site....hopefully something can be done about this...

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/Declara..._124151904.html

Declaration at Cooper Nuclear Station

As the Missouri River rises, the Nebraska Public Power District has declared a “Notification of Unusual Event” for the Cooper Nuclear Station. The notification was made at 4:02am Sunday. It is part of the safety and emergency preparedness plan that the station follows when certain flooding conditions are present.

Posted: 5:23 AM Jun 19, 2011

Reporter: WOWT-TV

Email Address: sixonline@wowt.com

below is a comment added under the article..

NPPD says there is no threat to plant employees or the general public. The plant continues to operate safely. The Omaha Public Power District made the same declaration nearly two weeks ago when the Missouri River continued to rise near the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station.

NPPD says its plans dictate that when the Missouri River’s water level reaches 42.5 feet, or greater than 899 feet above sea level, the notification of an unusual event is declared. If the river’s level increases to 900 feet above sea level, plant personnel will barricade internal doorways as another layer of protection for facility equipment. At 902 feet, the plant would be taken offline as a protective safety measure.

A Notification of Unusual Event is the lowest and least serious of four emergency classifications established by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for nuclear power plants.

The Cooper Nuclear Station is three miles southeast of Brownville, Nebraska along the Missouri River.

Just to add to the rising water we got 1.5 inches of rain overnight and we have 100% chance of heavy rain today and 90% chance tomorrow. The Corps of Engineers raised the releases out of Oahe Dam to 160,000 cubic feet per second over the weekend and the Governor found out about it in a press conference. He was not real pleased with it. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

This isn't going to help. We set a record (yes, all time for us) for rain on Sat night. That's going in our rivers which flow into the Mississippi. Guess where next? Oh, and big storms coming tonite.

Just to add to the rising water we got 1.5 inches of rain overnight and we have 100% chance of heavy rain today and 90% chance tomorrow. The Corps of Engineers raised the releases out of Oahe Dam to 160,000 cubic feet per second over the weekend and the Governor found out about it in a press conference. He was not real pleased with it. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

Neb. & SD. Governors that i've seen on news clips, seem like pretty sharp guys and their bullchit meters are maxin out with the Corp. No politics, just facts and answers wanted. Not sure what our iowa guy is up to other then lip flappin

1993 flooding was pretty bad. I was in Illinois, just across from St. Louis that summer.

Separately, here in KC, we had about 2" last night and 1.5" the night before ... look out down river ...

does anyone know how bad the 1993 flooding was?

Went looking for it a the beginning of the floods, but I recall an infrared satellite photo that clearly showed what was basically a sixth great lake the size of Huron/erie that clearly covered much of Iowa. That was on tv though and haven't found that image on the net.

I live outside of Denver. The Rockies will be, and are in the process of melting off record snowfall. All the rivers and streams here feeding the platte are swollen. Last night we got 1.5 inches of rain. That deluge is now headed into the Platte. That storm is heading east into the Platte basin. This can only exacerbate the problem.

Big storm is approaching us right now, it has to cross the Mississippi before it gets to us, where it then flows into the Miss. Good luck to all of you down there! It makes me feel bad about how the inch of water in my basement pisses me off.