[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hines Ward

From the police report...You don't refuse a breathalyzer unless you know you are smashed...dude is lying through his teeth...Frankly as a Steeler fan I never cared for him...

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward had "blood shot red" eyes, couldn't keep his balance and mixed up the alphabet before he was charged with drunken driving in Georgia on Saturday, according to a police incident report made public this afternoon.Before he was lodged in jail, Mr. Ward failed a series of sobriety tests administered by Officer Robert Catalano, who noted that he "swayed back and forth and was getting agitated while conducting the evaluation," which also included a "walk and turn" test and "the one leg stand."

"Mr. Ward could not keep his balance and started before instructed several times before told to during the instructional stage," the officer wrote. "He missed heel to toe, stepped off line and conducted an improper turn."

Mr. Ward also "mixed up and omitted" letters while reciting the alphabet, according to the report, which offered new glimpses into the early morning arrest.Mr. Ward was released from the DeKalb County jail on $1,000 bond and his manager this weekend issued a statement saying the former Super Bowl MVP and "Dancing With the Starts" champ was not impaired.

But the report says an officer with the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority had been following Mr. Ward's Aston Martin, suspecting a drunken driver. The transit officer said he watched the driver "failing to maintain lane and at one point striking a curb." He told Officer Catalano that the driver made several lane changes without using turn signals and noticed "a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming off the driver's person" when they spoke. Mr. Ward told the transit officer he had had two drinks at a club before Officer Catalano, a member of the county police's DUI task force, arrived and also spoke with him.

The officer noted on the report that Mr. Ward mumbled, was defensive, cooperative and inattentive. He consented to a portable breath test at the scene that showed the presence of alcohol but refused a state-administered breathalyzer.Mr. Ward was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine, a spokeswoman for the DeKalb County solicitor general's office said.

The Aston Martin was released to Mr. Ward's passenger, Cory Allen, a fellow former University of Georgia Bulldog.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said, "Any such incident will be reviewed when the players return" from the current lockout.

Under the NFL's substance abuse policy, a first-offense DUI without aggravating circumstances results in a fine of half of a regular-season game check up to a maximum of $50,000.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11192/115973...m#ixzz1RqlclHKG

So much for that unraveling stuff...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a term in football called "Crippling the dummy". It is when you lay out a guy that isnt looking. This is what Ward is famous for and that is why he is deemed dirty. When a defender is in pursuit and their head isnt on the swivel, Ward makes them pay dearly. Less than honerable ? Yeah , I guess I will buy that, but will I lose sleep for defenders that decapitate WRs who are focused on the ball and pretty defenseless ? No way. I would take Ward on my team in a second. Defensive players hate him because they are always supposed to be the ones dishing out the punishment and how dare this man terrorize men on D. The fact that he does it when guys arent looking is a little weak but he makes no bones about it. He will floor you so prepare yourself .

As far as the DWI, just because these guys are elite athletes it doesnt necessarily mean they will always make smart decisions . As a matter of fact , a lot of them are flat out dumb. Im not surprised at all when any of these guys get nailed for the stupid things they do.

Oh and bushwhacked and Menudo are the huddles Hatfield and Mccoys

Look, I can't stand Roethlisberger, but, I'm not going to not root for the team that I've followed all of my life because one player is a d-bag. There are a lot of quality players who do things the right way on the Steelers. If we want to be real, every team has their share of great guys and their share of punks. It's just the way it is, and it isn't likely to change anytime soon.

well back when all that rapelesberger stuff was going down, I remember how you were talking about how you were disgusted and sick of him and you hoped the steelers would trade him and you'd lose some respect if they kept him around. then they kept him around and your fandom didn't skip a beat.

so how about next time you just skip the grandstanding charade of pretending to give a damn whether your team employs scumbags? just go straight to the "every team has good guys and every team has punks" justification.

well back when all that rapelesberger stuff was going down, I remember how you were talking about how you were disgusted and sick of him and you hoped the steelers would trade him and you'd lose some respect if they kept him around. then they kept him around and your fandom didn't skip a beat.

so how about next time you just skip the grandstanding charade of pretending to give a damn whether your team employs scumbags? just go straight to the "every team has good guys and every team has punks" justification.

I never once said I would stop rooting for the Steelers. I have been rooting for them for as long as I have been watching football, and I've shared many special moments with my family and had countless great times with my Dad while watching, talking about and enjoying Steelers football. I'm not going to stop rooting for them because one guy is a d-bag. I don't like Roethlisberger, I likely never will. However, there are many other Steelers players and a great deal of history that goes along with my allegiance to this team. You keep ripping on me, as if you expected me to stop rooting for the Steelers. I never implied that would happen. I still wish they would have traded Roethlisberger. They didn't, I had to move on.

Should all fans stop rooting for a team because one of their players is a punk/scumbag/criminal ? If so, there would be a lot of empty stadiums.

Edited by Menudo

You keep ripping on me, as if you expected me to stop rooting for the Steelers.

nope. I expected your fandom would always totally and completely override anything else, which is why I said at the time, stop pretending like it matters to you -- because you and everyone else knows that when it comes right down to it, it doesn't.

nope. I expected your fandom would always totally and completely override anything else, which is why I said at the time, stop pretending like it matters to you -- because you and everyone else knows that when it comes right down to it, it doesn't.

Of course Az, as always, you know exactly what goes through my mind.

It did matter to me. I didn't like what he did, I still don't like him. However, I will still continue to root for the Steelers. So, yes, it did matter to me. Did it matter enough to make me stop rooting for my favorite team that has 52 other players on it ? No, and I never said it did. However, you can continue to tell me what I REALLY think.

Edited by Menudo

Az...what fan really DOES care? Who would walk away from their team over the actions of a few? Where's the harm in being disgusted over these actions yet still rooting for your team? Being a fan means that you don't have to like individual players...but you still love your team.

Why not fight the ticket, make up some SHAM WOW!, slander an officer or two at trial? A jury of one's peers likely includes several idiots who are never reasonable, and so are easily lead astray on what doubts are reasonable and which are fantastical fabrications. Several folks believe that if they concoct a theory or imagining on how guilt may be less than 100% proven, that there must be reasonable doubt unless their fantasies are completely put to rest. After all, since the fantasies are their own, they are by definition reasonable to that idiot. Have you ever tried to abuse the stupid of their notions? It is not easily accomplished.