[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hines Ward

BFD, he got a DUI. Let he who has NEVER driven under the influence, even moderately, cast the first stone.

Despite this DUI, Hines happens to be one of the most stand up players in the NFL.

I don't get paid millions a year like 99+% of the population, and my company doesn't offer cab rides that they pay for if I go out drinking. I'll cast as many stones as I like, the situations aren't remotely comparable.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get paid millions a year like 99+% of the population, and my company doesn't offer cab rides that they pay for if I go out drinking. I'll cast as many stones as I like, the situations aren't remotely comparable.

+1 - this is my issue as well. A guy with Hines status and wealth has no business getting behind the wheel even if he is questioning whether or not he might be over the limit. I'm disappointed as a fan.

Despite this DUI, Hines happens to be one of the most stand up players in the NFL.

Before we nominate Ward for sainthood, let's not forget this Link:

NFL approves 'Hines Ward rule'

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The NFL today approved four new rules that focus on player safety, including the so-called Hines Ward Rule that affects blocking tactics.

The blocking rule makes illegal a blindside block if it comes from the blocker's helmet, forearm or shoulder and lands to the head or neck area of the defender. One of the highlights the NFL competition committee used to portray such a block was the one Ward threw last season that broke the jaw of Cincinnati rookie linebacker Keith Rivers.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Before we nominate Ward for sainthood, let's not forget this Link:

NFL approves 'Hines Ward rule'

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The NFL today approved four new rules that focus on player safety, including the so-called Hines Ward Rule that affects blocking tactics.

The blocking rule makes illegal a blindside block if it comes from the blocker's helmet, forearm or shoulder and lands to the head or neck area of the defender. One of the highlights the NFL competition committee used to portray such a block was the one Ward threw last season that broke the jaw of Cincinnati rookie linebacker Keith Rivers.

Why do you keep making me argue. At the time, Hines broke zero rules with this block. Rivers was actually trying to get back into the play and had a chance to make a tackle. Hines made a block that was completely legal to take Rivers out of the play.

Hines always gets ripped for his blocking. I find it awfully ironic. These defenders will take Ward out any chance that they get, but, when he gets a chance to lay a big hit on him, it is causes controversy. Hines Ward is the best blocking wide receiver that I have ever seen, and he has been a big part of the team's running success through the years.

Why do you keep making me argue. At the time, Hines broke zero rules with this block. Rivers was actually trying to get back into the play and had a chance to make a tackle. Hines made a block that was completely legal to take Rivers out of the play.

Hines always gets ripped for his blocking. I find it awfully ironic. These defenders will take Ward out any chance that they get, but, when he gets a chance to lay a big hit on him, it is causes controversy. Hines Ward is the best blocking wide receiver that I have ever seen, and he has been a big part of the team's running success through the years.

Ward is a great blocker. Anyone who denies that doesn't understand football.

That said, he crosses the line at times. He also has a reputation in the league for taking cheap shots, so it's not just Steeler-hating fans that want to pick on him. There aren't many guys in league history who have a rule named after them - especially for violent contact.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I know that this will only get responses about what a jerk Jim Rome is, but, I think he says it best here:

:wacko:

296 NFL players vote: Ward voted dirtiest in NFL 11.6% say so, well ahead of 6.0% for 2nd place Joey Porter:

A Sports Illustrated poll of NFL players has found that Hines Ward is considered by his colleagues to be the dirtiest player in the league, with Albert Haynesworth and Joey Porter tied for second.

The question, “Who is the dirtiest player in the league?” was asked of 296 players during training camp this summer, and Ward, the Steelers’ wide receiver, got 11.6 percent of the vote, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Um, yea.. Are we actually going to talk about the story on this one? I thought I saw something on the ESPN scroll that said they were confident that when the facts are released they will find Hines was not driving under the influence. I figured DUI was pretty straightforward unless the cop screwed up something. Any ideas what happened?

296 NFL players vote: Ward voted dirtiest in NFL 11.6% say so, well ahead of 6.0% for 2nd place Joey Porter:

A Sports Illustrated poll of NFL players has found that Hines Ward is considered by his colleagues to be the dirtiest player in the league, with Albert Haynesworth and Joey Porter tied for second.

The question, “Who is the dirtiest player in the league?” was asked of 296 players during training camp this summer, and Ward, the Steelers’ wide receiver, got 11.6 percent of the vote, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Trust me, I know about the results of that vote. He is a different breed. Defensive players don't like having a wide receiver out there that is willing to hit them as hard as they like to hit the offensive players. If what Hines does, which is laying out defensive players when he has the chance, something they will always do to him when they have the chance, is dirty, then I hope he continues to play dirty.

Seriously, look at the film, do a youtube search, you will find two hits that even I consider over the line, but, all the rest of them were perfectly within the rules, and I wouldn't want him doing anything different.

Anyway, we will obviously agree to disagree, but, I've got other things on my mind, so, I will step out of the debate. I do appreciate having a calm, thought out debate though. Bushwacked will be up soon, and will be running to this thread to do his usual schtick, so, it's been nice to actually have an adult debate for a few hours this morning.

ETA: I also find it amusing, that this wide receiver, who is clearly feared because he is so "vicious" and "dirty" is 6 foot tall, 205 pounds.

Edited by Menudo

ETA: I also find it amusing, that this wide receiver, who is clearly feared because he is so "vicious" and "dirty" is 6 foot tall, 205 pounds.

:wacko:

You don't have to be huge to take cheap shots. The Broncos' O-lines under Shanahan were one of the smallest units in the league and they carried a reputation for the dirtiest line in the league.

Edited by Bronco Billy

:tup:

You don't have to be huge to take cheap shots. The Broncos' O-lines under Shanahan were one of the smallest units in the league and they carried a reputation for th dirtiest line in the league.

See we differ on cheap shots. Go to youtube, there are plenty of videos of him knocking out Linebackers / Safeties who were facing him and looking right at him. Also, his hits on guys who were about to make tackles who didn't see him coming are not cheap in my opinion. Is there a rule that says that he has to say hello to them and make sure they see him before he makes a legal hit on them ?

Wait, I thought I said I was done with this debate. :wacko:

You're saying that one using bad judgment by getting behind the wheel after drinking is different than one using bad judgment and getting behind the wheel after drinking? The only difference is that one had the opportunity to have a free cab ride or hire a limo versus the guy who had the opportunity to pay for a cab ride or hire a limo? :wacko:

Each person is guilty of bad judgment. Just because he had the "money" to hire a cab or a limo doesn't mean his decision was any more or less idiotic than the broke guy who spent his last 20 bucks on those 2 extra Jager bombs instead of using it for cab fare.

Again, BFD, he just happened to get snagged for DUI while the other 40K drunks in Atlanta on Saturday managed to avoid the same fate.

Now, if he were on his third, fourth or fifth DUI and got snagged with some 20 YO coed that he had allegedly raped, while smoking a J, while doing 95 in a 35 and had 3 unlicensed firearms concealed in his car... then we'd have something to talk about and maybe get a little pissed about. But a DUI, c'mon.

You're saying that one using bad judgment by getting behind the wheel after drinking is different than one using bad judgment and getting behind the wheel after drinking? The only difference is that one had the opportunity to have a free cab ride or hire a limo versus the guy who had the opportunity to pay for a cab ride or hire a limo? :wacko:

I'm saying that I'm absolutely going to view people differently if they have much greater means of avoiding transgressions. Both the poor guy driving drunk and the NFL player driving drunk used bad judgement. One of them used much poorer judgment than the other, because they had much more opportunity/wherewithall in avoiding the transgression.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Again, BFD, he just happened to get snagged for DUI while the other 40K drunks in Atlanta on Saturday managed to avoid the same fate.

Now, if he were on his third, fourth or fifth DUI and got snagged with some 20 YO coed that he had allegedly raped, while smoking a J, while doing 95 in a 35 and had 3 unlicensed firearms concealed in his car... then we'd have something to talk about and maybe get a little pissed about. But a DUI, c'mon.

I'm saying that I'm absolutely going to view people differently if they have much greater means of avoiding transgressions. Both the poor guy driving drunk and the NFL player driving drunk used bad judgement. One of them used much poorer judgment than the other, because they had much more opportunity/wherewithall in avoiding the transgression.

agree with these statements

Sorry Bushwacked, this is a discussion about teams who are looked at under a magnifying glass because of their team's success. (Cowboys, Steelers, etc.)

If you'd like to start a thread amongst Cardinals, Seahawks, Lions fans, etc. to talk about arrest records among teams who have been irrelevant, feel free.

ETA: Bushwacked, you just cost me a LOT of money. When this thread was started, I called Vegas to get odds on whether you would post in it. The odds of you not posting were coming in at 5000 to 1. I put $20 down, just to take a chance. You cost me a lot of money. Thanks. By the way, the odds of you not posting in it after I had posted in it were 350,000 to 1.

and it was even money that you'd deflect this thread to the Cowboys. Can't wait til page 4 of the thread where you break out the Eagles' trophy case.

Have fun this fall rooting for your rapist, your woman beater and your drunk ass cheap shot artist. :wacko:

and it was even money that you'd deflect this thread to the Cowboys. Can't wait til page 4 of the thread where you break out the Eagles' trophy case.

Have fun this fall rooting for your rapist, your woman beater and your drunk ass cheap shot artist. :wacko:

I think your timeline is off a bit. I didn't deflect it to the Cowobys. A Cowboys fan made a jab, so, I responded to his jab.

As for who I'm rooting for, the Cowboys that won their championships weren't saints either, did you still root for them ? Look, I can't stand Roethlisberger, but, I'm not going to not root for the team that I've followed all of my life because one player is a d-bag. There are a lot of quality players who do things the right way on the Steelers. If we want to be real, every team has their share of great guys and their share of punks. It's just the way it is, and it isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Edited by Menudo

From the police report...You don't refuse a breathalyzer unless you know you are smashed...dude is lying through his teeth...Frankly as a Steeler fan I never cared for him...

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward had "blood shot red" eyes, couldn't keep his balance and mixed up the alphabet before he was charged with drunken driving in Georgia on Saturday, according to a police incident report made public this afternoon.Before he was lodged in jail, Mr. Ward failed a series of sobriety tests administered by Officer Robert Catalano, who noted that he "swayed back and forth and was getting agitated while conducting the evaluation," which also included a "walk and turn" test and "the one leg stand."

"Mr. Ward could not keep his balance and started before instructed several times before told to during the instructional stage," the officer wrote. "He missed heel to toe, stepped off line and conducted an improper turn."

Mr. Ward also "mixed up and omitted" letters while reciting the alphabet, according to the report, which offered new glimpses into the early morning arrest.Mr. Ward was released from the DeKalb County jail on $1,000 bond and his manager this weekend issued a statement saying the former Super Bowl MVP and "Dancing With the Starts" champ was not impaired.

But the report says an officer with the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority had been following Mr. Ward's Aston Martin, suspecting a drunken driver. The transit officer said he watched the driver "failing to maintain lane and at one point striking a curb." He told Officer Catalano that the driver made several lane changes without using turn signals and noticed "a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming off the driver's person" when they spoke. Mr. Ward told the transit officer he had had two drinks at a club before Officer Catalano, a member of the county police's DUI task force, arrived and also spoke with him.

The officer noted on the report that Mr. Ward mumbled, was defensive, cooperative and inattentive. He consented to a portable breath test at the scene that showed the presence of alcohol but refused a state-administered breathalyzer.Mr. Ward was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine, a spokeswoman for the DeKalb County solicitor general's office said.

The Aston Martin was released to Mr. Ward's passenger, Cory Allen, a fellow former University of Georgia Bulldog.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said, "Any such incident will be reviewed when the players return" from the current lockout.

Under the NFL's substance abuse policy, a first-offense DUI without aggravating circumstances results in a fine of half of a regular-season game check up to a maximum of $50,000.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11192/115973...m#ixzz1RqlclHKG

I guess I don't get it. If you get caught with a DUI, why put out the big nonsense about how you'll be vindicated when all the evidence is reviewed? Look dude, you f-ed up. You've been with the steelers for a millenia, they'll probably flog you in public but let you play out your last few years and it'll end up a footnote that nobody really remembers if you just shut the heck up and go through your punishment. Just seems strange. Guess the dude is getting bad advice. :wacko: