[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

USA! USA! USA! to the semifinals!

millerx

If many of you missed it (and I'm guessing many of you did) ...The US just pulled off one of the great comebacks in World Cup history to make it past the quarterfinals to the semifinals!

I don't care if you're sexist or anti-soccer, but the game today matching the #1 ranked team in the world (USA) vs the #3 team (Brazil) was one of the best sports moments I have seen in a long time. Unbelievable!

After starting off with an easy one goal lead in the first minutes, the USA got what many feel was a bad call by the ref which lead to a penalty kick for Brazil. The US keeper makes an incredible save only to have the ref again step in and claim some phantom call and allowing another try which then Brazil capitalizes on. The foul that gave them the kick also comes with it an ejection from the game for the USA player and they played the remainder of the game a player down (10 vs 11) for 55 minutes.

The game goes to overtime were Brazil jumps on the lead within a minute into overtime only to see the USA's "never give up spirit" tie it within the last minute of the game. On to penalty kicks!

There, our goalie makes a tremendous save while not a single player on the US misses and we win what most everyone thought was a done deal and a game that we would chalk up to a bad referee causing the loss.

Again, you might not have been a fan of soccer or of women's sports, but there are times like these where all that gets thrown out the window and the magic of pure sports competition comes shining through! Incredible!

Okay, let the bashing begin.

Edited by millerx

I wouldn't go see a women's soccer game if you gave me the best seat in the stadium and drove me to and from the game in a limousine with all the alcohol that I could drink.

And given that I could sit in a corner of the room for 90 minutes with my thumb up my ass and a burlap sack over my head, I wouldn't watch it on television.

And given that I could sit in a corner of the room for 90 minutes with my thumb up my ass and a burlap sack over my head, I wouldn't watch it on television.

Obviously that's what you were doing, and don't kid us, it has nothing to do with a soccer game or not. Kinky Basturd.

What's your "safe" word? Pineapple?

Pineapple!! PINEAPPLE!!!

Edited by millerx

If many of you missed it (and I guessing many of you did) ...The US just pulled off one of the great comebacks in World Cup history to make it past the quarterfinals to the semifinals!

I don't care if you're sexist or anti-soccer, but the game today matching the #1 ranked team in the world (USA) vs the #3 team (Brazil) was one of the best sports moments I have seen in a long time. Unbelievable!

After starting off with an easy one goal lead in the first minutes, the USA got what many feel was a bad call by the ref which lead to a penalty kick for Brazil. The US keeper makes an incredible save only to have the ref again step in and claim some phantom call and allowing another try which then Brazil capitalizes on. The foul that gave them the kick also comes with it an ejection from the game for the USA player and they played the remainder of the game a player down (10 vs 11) for 55 minutes.

The game goes to overtime were Brazil jumps on the lead within a minute into overtime only to see the USA's "never give up spirit" tie it within the last minute of the game. On to penalty kicks!

There, our goalie makes a tremendous save while not a single player on the US misses and we win what most everyone thought was a done deal and a game that we would chalk up to bad referee causing the loss.

Again, you might have not be fan of soccer or of women's sports, but there are times like these where all that gets thrown out the window and the magic of pure sports competition comes shining through! Incredible!

Okay, let the bashing begin.

Referees have way too much power in soccer. Thanks for the post though - Do you know if the game is on replay at all? This sounds like a classic DVR game where you could watch the entire game in about 15 minutes. Soccer and DVR are a match (somewhat of a pun intended) made in heaven.

Referees have way too much power in soccer. Thanks for the post though - Do you know if the game is on replay at all? This sounds like a classic DVR game where you could watch the entire game in about 15 minutes. Soccer and DVR are a match (somewhat of a pun intended) made in heaven.

Meh. A bad referee, is a bad referee. I've seen 'em in football, basketball, baseball, etc... It's when they become the story of the game instead of the game itself (as was the case today) that they really suck!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure ESPN said the replay for DVR purposes is tonight at midnight. Ya, I've watched a few matches with the handy dandy DVR remote to buzz threw some of them. FYI, because of the overtime, you might want to make sure your DVR is set up to cover the extra time added on to the coverage of the game.

Key moments to watch are the first few minutes of the first half and the first 15 or so of the second half. Then the 30 minute overtime and shootout is a must.

Wish I could have watched this. How does a goalie get a red card anyways?

The goalie didn't get the red card, the defender going shoulder to shoulder with Brazil's striker right in front of the US goal, got the red card. Both were going for the ball and shoving each other, but both had a right to the ball also.

Anyway, like I said, the game will be replayed tonight at midnight on EPSN.

On another note...

This was on the anniversary (12 years ago today) of the shoot out in 1999 World Cup finals that the USA won against China .. and the infamous Brandi Chastain taking her shirt off (revealing a sports bra) after she scored the winning goal occurred

Edited by millerx

The goalie didn't get the red card, the defender going shoulder to shoulder with Brazil's striker right in front of the US goal, got the red card. Both were going for the ball and shoving each other, but both had a right to the ball also.

Anyway, like I said, the game will be replayed tonight at midnight on EPSN.

Actually ESPN2

End of game approaching, USA trying for last minute tie...out of nowhere a player flops to ground writhing in pain, precious seconds tick off the clock as the stretcher is brought on field with multiple trainers. Hideously injured player is being carted off field, and then miraculously leaps from the stretcher and jogs back on the field to continue play...all after killing the flow of play. And this is just fine?

Pathetic. I have no problem with womens soccer and could enjoy it, but that crap is just unwatchable. Same chit with the mens game.

End of game approaching, USA trying for last minute tie...out of nowhere a player flops to ground writhing in pain, precious seconds tick off the clock as the stretcher is brought on field with multiple trainers. Hideously injured player is being carted off field, and then miraculously leaps from the stretcher and jogs back on the field to continue play...all after killing the flow of play. And this is just fine?

Pathetic. I have no problem with womens soccer and could enjoy it, but that crap is just unwatchable. Same chit with the mens game.

She got a yellow card for that.

That was ridiculous. That's very atypical to see it happen in the women's game, which is one thing I do enjoy watching this world cup (unlike the men's version). VERY few flops.

I understand looking to work the situation to your advantage, but c'mon. And that goes with any sport. Hell, football had to put in rules for just this sort of incident (faking an injury) and punish the offender by taking seconds of the clock if it happens at the end of the game. Not to mention holding the player on the ground after a tackle to burn time off the clock.

The difference in soccer it is the ref that is suppose to add time back on to the clock in cases like this.

Being sick and tired of hearing about the NFL lockout and with hoops over, I needed a diversion, and it was women's world cup. I follow the men's cup 100% but never really cared to watch the women until this time around. Have watched several games and made sure to catch this one.

The first US goal was a gift, for sure. First Brazilian goal (penalty) was a load of crap. Second Brazilian goal was stupid crazy good, but that Marta beeyotch is a whiny piece of crap. In fact, the entire Brazilian team is like a men's team with their whining and flopping.

And wouldn't you know it, I walk off with like a minute left to drop the kids off at the pool, and I hear this "GOOOOOAL!!!" from the living room; my wife, who actually took some interest in the game this weekend. Here I thought she was just watching the highlights :wacko: but sure enough, the US had scored with mere seconds left in the game.

I knew we'd win in a shootout. The Brazilians may be crafty with the ball, but we had the advantage in a shootout situation.

Should be easy sailing versus the French and then a likely rematch with Sweden, who's given us fits as recently as the final group stage game. I'm sure they're ready for that rematch.

Couple of :tup: decent lookin' women on our squad, that always helps. :lol:

I'd also like to add that Hope Solo is an excellent goalie. She got a lot of flack a couple of years ago for openly complaining about being benched. It may not have been the "team" thing to do, but she was right about the fact that she should have been on the field back then.

Being sick and tired of hearing about the NFL lockout and with hoops over, I needed a diversion, and it was women's world cup. I follow the men's cup 100% but never really cared to watch the women until this time around. Have watched several games and made sure to catch this one.

The first US goal was a gift, for sure. First Brazilian goal (penalty) was a load of crap. Second Brazilian goal was stupid crazy good, but that Marta beeyotch is a whiny piece of crap. In fact, the entire Brazilian team is like a men's team with their whining and flopping.

And wouldn't you know it, I walk off with like a minute left to drop the kids off at the pool, and I hear this "GOOOOOAL!!!" from the living room; my wife, who actually took some interest in the game this weekend. Here I thought she was just watching the highlights :wacko: but sure enough, the US had scored with mere seconds left in the game.

I knew we'd win in a shootout. The Brazilians may be crafty with the ball, but we had the advantage in a shootout situation.

Should be easy sailing versus the French and then a likely rematch with Sweden, who's given us fits as recently as the final group stage game. I'm sure they're ready for that rematch.

Couple of :tup: decent lookin' women on our squad, that always helps. :lol:

That was a crazy good goal but the replay clearly showed Brizal had an off side player.

The US women's goal shooting abilities were something else. Brazil made there shots mostly due to Hope Solo guessing wrong. The US womens shots were all dead on and and could not have been stopped.

Just want to add that whenever I see a game ending in penalty kicks it brings back bad memories from 1974. We lost the State Championship game in Sudden Death penalty kicks. Now that was a game! (we were later awarded the Championship due to an ineligible player, but its not the same.)

Midnight EDT on ESPN2

It's also available to watch on demand at ESPN3.com.

Wish I could have watched this. How does a goalie get a red card anyways?

It happens. I think it happened in the men's WC in South Africa.

I found this on-line when someone asked the same question as you in reference to his daughter getting red-carded.

According to FIFA's Laws of the Game, a red card can be given to a player who "denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offense punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick." Meaning that if a player deliberately fouls an opposing player in order to prevent them from scoring, the player who committed the offense can be shown the red. I believe that because the keeper tripped the advancing player, which is an offense that would result in a penalty kick (since it was in the box), it was seen as a deliberate act and therefore she was issued a red card.