[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

played some hoops today

Bier Meister

after not touching a ball for about 8-10 years. my weight is less than it was at the that time, but i am a little thicker. i was in decent shape 15 years ago, but those days seem gone with other obligations that are higher priorities and injuries. I am 5'10" and used to play good defense, used to have a good 1st step (good penetration, then dish), could play some post, and had a very good outside shot. the good news is that going back to the old playground.....mostly the same guys playing, just fewer of them so i wasn't chasing 25 year old around the court. my shot wasn't there, but i was about to get some steals, blocks, boards... and created shots for others by driving and setting screens. very fun. i played 2 games then sat. figured for day 1 i was fine walking away with no injuries. good start and will play more every week.

I am 5'10" and used to play good defense, used to have a good 1st step (good penetration, then dish), could play some post, and had a very good outside shot.

I'm 5' 11". 3'10" is beneath my center of gravity. OSHA can say whatever they want.

Awww $hit. Now we've got a game too.

:wacko:

Sounds like a great afternoon.

after not touching a ball for about 8-10 years. my weight is less than it was at the that time, but i am a little thicker. i was in decent shape 15 years ago, but those days seem gone with other obligations that are higher priorities and injuries. I am 5'10" and used to play good defense, used to have a good 1st step (good penetration, then dish), could play some post, and had a very good outside shot. the good news is that going back to the old playground.....mostly the same guys playing, just fewer of them so i wasn't chasing 25 year old around the court. my shot wasn't there, but i was about to get some steals, blocks, boards... and created shots for others by driving and setting screens. very fun. i played 2 games then sat. figured for day 1 i was fine walking away with no injuries. good start and will play more every week.

:wacko: Welcome back. I just came back myself about 5 months ago after not playing for about five years. Fun times! My shot still hasn't come back, I think I've got some kind of flaw in my stroke, but having tons of fun with it nonetheless. Just feels great to be back out there. Giving me a little of my swagger back. Keep us updated!

I've only stepped on the court a couple times - and only once in a game situation - since my Achilles rupture. I was a 3-4 times per week hoopster not 5-6 years ago. :wacko:

Glad to hear you got 'em laced up and went out there, Bier.

I'm pretty much in the worst shape of my life now, so there's pretty much zero chance of me going out there anytime soon. I need to settle into a schedule here - hopefully in sync with a new job - so I can lose the L-B's and get back out there.

sucks not being automatic from certain spots on the court, but hopefully it will come back. i'd like to get a little more agile out there...feel like a bull. used to be able to grab the rim in hs and college... not close to touching the rim at the moment.

baby steps

Your body will be talking to you tomorrow. Get back with us and relay the message.

But don't quit. It's great hearing about all you slow white guys getting your game back on. :wacko:

Your body will be talking to you tomorrow. Get back with us and relay the message.

But don't quit. It's great hearing about all you slow white guys getting your game back on. :lol:

My body took a beating today and I was nowhere near a basketball court. No, putting together an above-ground pool will certainly do the trick. "Fortunately" it was "only" in the mid-90's, as opposed to the 100+ it has been recently.

There's nothing like loading/unloading 25 bags of fill sand, raking off the area, dumping the sand and then putting together the monstrosity on a Saturday afternoon. "45 minutes to build!" my azz!!! :tup:

The wife and I are bushed and are going to bed before 10pm on a Saturday night! :wacko:

Hope you got the Ben-Gay and heating pad ready, Bier! :rofl:

Edited by darin3

This would be "suicide by hoops" for me. :wacko:

Glad you had fun!!

Earlier tonight my 6-year-old daughter was trying to do back rolls. She wasn't understanding the advice I was trying to give her, so I decided to show her, instead. BIG MISTAKE. I think my rib punctured my spleen.

I used to play 3 times a week, but after a pretty severe ankle injury in '05, the number of games I got in on slowly dwindled down to nothing a few years back. I've thought about getting back in the mix as my new neighborhood has a court with a good amount of activity, but we'll see. I'm just glad I'm getting back in to running after four months of laying off...er...slackin'.

Bier, I bet in a month's time you'll be running all over the place like in the old days!