[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pay ta park

nuke'em ttg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really depends on the city, and/or who owns the parking.

Our hotel in Manhattan outsources its parking to a 3rd party lot. They take care of the valet, too....$50 a night flat fee. Conversely, our Chicago Michigan Avenue has its own parking garage, but as was aluded to earlier, it carries its own debt service which must be accounted for. $45 per night, unless you are a Hilton Honors member, then its $30. Both of these rates are below market ($49 per night at other hotels in out competitive setting). We have hotels in Providence, Boston and Santa Monica, and each of them charge $20-25 per night.

And Det is right....we obviously only charge those who bring cars. If it were "free" at all hotels, then all consumers would just have it baked into the cost of the room (so you'd be paying it even if you didn't have a car). The airlines recently enacted similar policies regarding luggage...if you check a bag, you pay for it. Otherwise, airfares would be higher for everyone.

really depends on the city, and/or who owns the parking.

Our hotel in Manhattan outsources its parking to a 3rd party lot. They take care of the valet, too....$50 a night flat fee. Conversely, our Chicago Michigan Avenue has its own parking garage, but as was aluded to earlier, it carries its own debt service which must be accounted for. $45 per night, unless you are a Hilton Honors member, then its $30. Both of these rates are below market ($49 per night at other hotels in out competitive setting). We have hotels in Providence, Boston and Santa Monica, and each of them charge $20-25 per night.

And Det is right....we obviously only charge those who bring cars. If it were "free" at all hotels, then all consumers would just have it baked into the cost of the room (so you'd be paying it even if you didn't have a car). The airlines recently enacted similar policies regarding luggage...if you check a bag, you pay for it. Otherwise, airfares would be higher for everyone.

well, laddy dah...hope you and det don't choke on yer tacos :wacko:

I think the bigger issue is that you don't know about it in advance so that you can plan for it. If you go somewhere for a long time then $30+ /night can add up quickly.

:tup:

Every branded hotel (Marriott brands, Hilton brands, etc) is required in their franchise agreement to inform every guest of the parking charge in advance. In almost all cases, this information is conveyed on their website, and in the email confirmation you received after making a reservation.

We own 22 assets, and each of them have the information clearly listed on the website :wacko:

I think the bigger issue is that you don't know about it in advance so that you can plan for it. If you go somewhere for a long time then $30+ /night can add up quickly.

yep, blood thirsty pricks, when i get the letter or phone call i'm just gonna say i always chit in the sink didn't you know that :wacko:

the fact that it IS often more than they charge the general public for the same lot kinda rubs the wrong way, and the fact that you often don't know about it until you check in. stuff like that makes it seem like they're gouging you once you've got no other real choice.

the fact that it IS often more than they charge the general public for the same lot kinda rubs the wrong way, and the fact that you often don't know about it until you check in. stuff like that makes it seem like they're gouging you once you've got no other real choice.

i agree.

our place in vail charged $20/night. there is no free parking in the winter in vail. the general lots were $25.

Do people also think that when they go to a sporting event or a concert, that parking should be free? After all, it should be included in the cost of admission, right?

Of course not. Its an added cost on top of the commodity you are buying, and you budget for it. Same thing with hotels. Not sure why the hubbub :wacko: Plan for it, and if its free at the hotel (or concert) you are going to, its a bonus. If not, then at least you were expecting it, and you won't have complain about it.

Every branded hotel (Marriott brands, Hilton brands, etc) is required in their franchise agreement to inform every guest of the parking charge in advance. In almost all cases, this information is conveyed on their website, and in the email confirmation you received after making a reservation.

We own 22 assets, and each of them have the information clearly listed on the website :wacko:

This has been the case in my limited experience.

This has been the case in my limited experience.

When I traveled an assload for work, only about a third of the hotels I'd stay at charged for parking. Granted, I typically stayed at a beachfront Holiday Inn (Florida) or at a Holiday Inn Express (Maryland/Delaware). The Marriott I stayed at in Orlando charged I think $15-20. Those were the three I was at with regularity. Off-hand I can only think of a few others that charged, and those were typically in bigger cities, downtown.

When I traveled an assload for work, only about a third of the hotels I'd stay at charged for parking. Granted, I typically stayed at a beachfront Holiday Inn (Florida) or at a Holiday Inn Express (Maryland/Delaware). The Marriott I stayed at in Orlando charged I think $15-20. Those were the three I was at with regularity. Off-hand I can only think of a few others that charged, and those were typically in bigger cities, downtown.

I agree - what I meant was that I've always known beforehand when parking is going to cost me.

Do people also think that when they go to a sporting event or a concert, that parking should be free? After all, it should be included in the cost of admission, right?

Of course not. Its an added cost on top of the commodity you are buying, and you budget for it. Same thing with hotels. Not sure why the hubbub :wacko: Plan for it, and if its free at the hotel (or concert) you are going to, its a bonus. If not, then at least you were expecting it, and you won't have complain about it.

How many years have they been doin this? i don't get out much

In Madison, they have a City Target Store. It's downtown and you park in a ramp. I don't think they charge for that prime space.

I pay for parking when I'm at the clinics and hospitals in Rochester. I was shocked, shocked I tell you that I didn't have to pay to park in LaCrosse, Wi when I took my Mom there.

I agree - what I meant was that I've always known beforehand when parking is going to cost me.

Right I forgot to mention that in my post... I imagine it was part of the email notification of my reservation, but I never cared since everything ended up being paid for by my company.

And I'm not sure I understand why it's necessary. The "pay to park while at a stadium" analogy isn't a good one. Stadiums are price-gougers. Get paid any way possible, I guess. :wacko:

Do malls charge you to park in their lots when you're shopping? Grocery stores? Restaurants?

Oh I don't doubt that they disclose it in some way and really it only takes getting hit unexpectedly once to make sure you check in advance. However, as some people mentioned there are many smaller hotels and even some resorts in more isolated places that don't charge for parking. I rarely am thinking of "how much is parking going to be" when I am looking at hotel rates but I do know that if I am going to a more densely populated area I need to check.

Do malls charge you to park in their lots when you're shopping? Grocery stores? Restaurants?

In sophisticated Top-25 urban areas? Yep, they do. You typically pay to park in a city-owned lot, or pay to park at a meter. In sprawling suburbia? Not so much.

Similarly, most hotels in urban areas, and stadiums in urban areas, also charge to park. As was alluded to earlier, they need to charge those bringing cars an extra few bucks to cover the enormous debt service associated with cost of building a parking structure on prime land that could be used for a variety of other purposes.

The comparison of not having to pay to park at a "Holiday Inn Express in Maryland" is a little off, since I doubt that hotel was in downtown Baltimore, the only real urban area in Maryland. When land is only a couple hundred thousand dollars an acre, you can afford to offer free surface parking as a way to entice people to your property (since room sales are the main contributor to your NOI). In an urban area, where the cost to build a parking structure (or rent space in someone else's lot) can cost million of dollars, charging to park is the norm, and most travelers know it and accept it. I can't remember ever going to Philly, Boston, New York or DC and not thinking I'd have free parking at any type of attraction.

The comparison of not having to pay to park at a "Holiday Inn Express in Maryland" is a little off, since I doubt that hotel was in downtown Baltimore, the only real urban area in Maryland. When land is only a couple hundred thousand dollars an acre, you can afford to offer free surface parking as a way to entice people to your property (since room sales are the main contributor to your NOI). In an urban area, where the cost to build a parking structure (or rent space in someone else's lot) can cost million of dollars, charging to park is the norm, and most travelers know it and accept it. I can't remember ever going to Philly, Boston, New York or DC and not thinking I'd have free parking at any type of attraction.

You misinterpreted my post.

Right I forgot to mention that in my post... I imagine it was part of the email notification of my reservation, but I never cared since everything ended up being paid for by my company.

And I'm not sure I understand why it's necessary. The "pay to park while at a stadium" analogy isn't a good one. Stadiums are price-gougers. Get paid any way possible, I guess. :wacko:

NAIL MEET HAMMER :tup: