[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good children movies

Dr. Sacrebleu

We don't ever have the tv on in our house when our 4 year old is awake, but we do allow him to watch movies. We will more often than not watch the movie with him, at the very least the first time, and the fact that we live in a shoebox means that we can't do the movie as babysitter thing anyways. So my wife and definitely see these fulms w our kid. Looking for some good recommendations of films that you think are good for kids and that don't drive adults crazy.

So far our favourites are pee Josh Gordon great adventure, a claymation type version of Peter and the wolf, nemo, ice age, fantastic mr fox, old sesame street videos, and they might be giants' 'here come the abcs' and 'here come the 123s'

We are not absolutists about it, but we prefer to avoid things with too many commercial tie ins (if for nothing else that you avoid that "dad! Dad! Look it's lightning McQueen! Can I get it?!? Can I get it?!?) when possible. Any recommendations?

(pixar films are for the most part decent, and some are pretty creative, but I am looking to broaden my/my Childs horizon somewhat, and Cars really was a massive piece of excrement that I'm still paying for (probably seen it 40 times by now)

Thanks

We don't ever have the tv on in our house when our 4 year old is awake, but we do allow him to watch movies. We will more often than not watch the movie with him, at the very least the first time, and the fact that we live in a shoebox means that we can't do the movie as babysitter thing anyways. So my wife and definitely see these fulms w our kid. Looking for some good recommendations of films that you think are good for kids and that don't drive adults crazy.

So far our favourites are pee Josh Gordon great adventure, a claymation type version of Peter and the wolf, nemo, ice age, fantastic mr fox, old sesame street videos, and they might be giants' 'here come the abcs' and 'here come the 123s'

We are not absolutists about it, but we prefer to avoid things with too many commercial tie ins (if for nothing else that you avoid that "dad! Dad! Look it's lightning McQueen! Can I get it?!? Can I get it?!?) when possible. Any recommendations?

(pixar films are for the most part decent, and some are pretty creative, but I am looking to broaden my/my Childs horizon somewhat, and Cars really was a massive piece of excrement that I'm still paying for (probably seen it 40 times by now)

Thanks

If he liked Nemo, there's one called 'The Reef" that was decent. Watched one called "Tangled" this weekend, based off of the story of Rapunzel. My daughter really enjoys the Backyardigans. They are not in movie form, it is an episodic series.

Despicable Me was funny.

Shrek is very good.

Give me a few minutes and I can probably come with a few more. :wacko:

First one I thought of. Monsters Inc, Wall.e & Incredibles were good as well.

Any of the Winnie The Pooh movies are great too

Edited by rajncajn

Agree on Muppets. And if you're considering really old stuff, you can't go wrong with the older Disney (or Disney-ish) stuff. Flubber, the "Herbie" movies, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, etc etc. Not all "great" movies per se but great for kids. In fact I kinda pity kids who's only exposure to kid movies are the modern animations, even though some of them have been very good.

Edited by BeeR

My niece just turned 4. I keep her well stocked in Disney classics.....lol. And she's a Dino-freak. Hearing these huge and correct dinosaur pronunciations coming out of her mouth is really astonishing....lol.

Some of her faves though:

Jungle Book (the original Disney classic to me!)

Happy Feet...you'll love the music in this one.

Any of the Dinosaur Train series from PBS. You can TIVO these.

The Aristocats

101 Dalmations

I'll second The Incredibles and Finding Nemo....already mentioned.

All of these hold my attention as well as hers.....LOL. Enjoy!

Iron Giant is one of my all time favorite movies for kids.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is the rare movie that far exceeds the book.

. Bonus for you.

. Ben Folds did the music for the film (I have no idea why the movie trailer doesn't use his music.)

The Curious George movie is very well done.

Our son is six now, and these are still some of his favorites.

Up is one of my kids' (ages 4 and 5) favorites (and it's amusing enough for adults too).

If you are looking to go out to see a movie, my 4 year-old REALLY enjoyed the new Winnie the Pooh movie that just came out in theaters a few weeks ago.

They also like all three of the Toy Story movies.

Edited by wiegie

Just say no to Ponyo, that is some weird, annoying sh*t right there and if your kids ever ask for Pengu then throw the TV out of the house all-together.

+1

and Kipper will melt your brain.

For episodic fare, Backyardigans, Wonderpets, Toot and Puddle, Yo Gabba Gabba are all popular in our house.

Wonderpets focuses on teamwork, Toot and Puddle explore different cultures and places,

Yo Gabba Gabba can be a little disturbing, but is great for kids who love to sing and dance. It also teaches/reinforces good behavior, "wait your turn, sharing is fun, eat your vegetables, hands to yourself, don't bite your friends, etc". Bonus for the celeb guests and music artists.

Backyardigans encourages make-believe and lots of singing and dancing.

First one I thought of. Monsters Inc, Wall.e & Incredibles were good as well.

Any of the Winnie The Pooh movies are great too

BINGO! Those two are new classics (Incredibles and Monsters, Inc.). Of course Cars is good, too. There is also an animated Tarzan that is G.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

if your kids ever ask for Pengu then throw the TV out of the house all-together.

Pingu is actually made by some Swiss company and, while I wouldn't recommend them for all families, I think they are hilarious (and so do my boys). (I actually just bought a DVD of some of the episodes for $5 at Target on Monday.)

Just say no to Ponyo, that is some weird, annoying sh*t right there and if your kids ever ask for Pengu then throw the TV out of the house all-together.

I was rolling on the floor in laughter the first time I got to watch Pengu. The grandkid loves it. Knock Knock!

Pingu is actually made by some Swiss company and, while I wouldn't recommend them for all families, I think they are hilarious (and so do my boys). (I actually just bought a DVD of some of the episodes for $5 at Target on Monday.)

Netflix has it.

2nd on The Iron Giant. Basically it was Brad Bird's direction - the guy who did The Incredibles

Tough to go wrong with ANYTHING by Pixar.

How to Train Your Dragon was fairly enjoyable.

Babe is really good too; directed by George Miller, who did Happy Feet. And The Road Warrior.

To each their own. My kids enjoyed Ponyo. I guess Japanese anime is an acquired taste.