[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's The Earliest Round You Would Pick Up Manning?

supadupafly87

In a lot of these mock drafts I'm seeing Manning fall to the fifth round. What's the earliest you take him?

Edit: In a 10 man ppr

The way I see it, why would the colts pay him that much money coming off surgery if he wasn't ok?

Also, why would they wait so long to sign a back up QB?

These two things make me think that he'll only be out for a wk or two. I could be wrong though.

Edited by supadupafly87

Players typically are overly optimistic when it comes to their injuries. I owned S. Jackson several years ago. He told the reporters more than once how good he was feeling. I started him, and then he was pulled from the game early. MJD last year admitted that he was lying about his condition, once the season was over. Manning is too risky for my taste. If I did draft him, he would need to be available in the 7th or 8th round, and that wont happen.

I just snagged Peyton in the 5th (5.2) of a 10 team -- he was the 8th QB taken. Picked up Eli at 11.2 just in case. If Peyton plays, he'll join a nice box of (standard, non-ppr) Glazed:

1 - Peyton, Eli

3 - RWhite, MWilliamsTB, Manningham, Britt, Bess

2 - APeterson, Gore, Benson, Addai

1 - Finley, Pettigrew

1 - Bryant

1 - Green Bay

:wacko: C'mon, Peyton - rub some dirt on it!!! :tup:

I don't like drafting QBs any earlier than late 5th or 6th round ... I have drafted one as high as 4th round. If I'm drafting one as high as the 4th round it better be one I can count on. Right now Manning's health is a red flag - who knows when his neck will be healed and who knows how he will take a hit.

I might consider him in the 6th round. In an option 2 player keeper league I could have give up a 4th rounder to keep him and passed. With 21 players kept I essentially passed on him in the 6th round - I drafted Tony Romo in the 4th, Manning was drafted in the 3rd.

Wouldn't draft him before the 4th, and it would probably have to be pretty close to the 5/6 turn if I went in the 5th for him.

One of the beauties of burning an early pick on P Manning in FF drafts is that you never have to worry about looking at QB again until say the 12th round or later. That allows you to load up on some nice midround talent while others are burning 2 picks at QB.

That's clearly not the case this year. If you're drafting P Manning, you'd better be getting one of the better QB2s to back him up.

Just went 5.8 (48) in a 10 team mock I did this morning... I was set to take him at 5.10, and will do the same from the same spot if available in my local money live draft this afternoon.

He was the 7th QB taken in the mock behind the other 5 "top" tier and Schaub as well.

Just went 5.8 (48) in a 10 team mock I did this morning... I was set to take him at 5.10, and will do the same from the same spot if available in my local money live draft this afternoon.

He was the 7th QB taken in the mock behind the other 5 "top" tier and Schaub as well.

I believe mock drafts are NOT a good indicator of a player's true value. People participating in mock drafts are NOT invested in the teams they are drafting and as such behave differently (either consciously or sub-consciously). Very often people participating in mock drafts are experimenting with draft strategies which also invalidates the value of mock drafts.

I believe mock drafts are NOT a good indicator of a player's true value. People participating in mock drafts are NOT invested in the teams they are drafting and as such behave differently (either consciously or sub-consciously). Very often people participating in mock drafts are experimenting with draft strategies which also invalidates the value of mock drafts.

Fair enough about the mocks.

I got him at 5.10 in a BOTH real draft this week.

As said, fair enough about the mocks. I've been running a bunch just trying to get a feel for some highs and lows vs. ADP for a few of my target guys... and trying to see if there's any trend on guys like CJ2k with his contract stuff, Manning's injury. I do put some credence to the mocks, but then as soon as a couple go autopick there's nothing to be learned about guys that could/will slip like Johnson and Manning.

in a 10-man ppr I got Manning 6.6. It's a 6-pt TD league and in round 3 the league went nuts drafting Vick, Rodgers, Brady, brees, rivers and romo.

I was able to assemble a great start leading into the pick. I got a decent backup (freeman) and overall I'm very happy I didn't waste a 3rd round pick on a qb. Could I have gotten equal or better value with big ben/schaub/matt Ryan? Time will tell, but as Seahawks pointed out, It's Peyton f'ing Manning.

in a 10-man ppr I got Manning 6.6. It's a 6-pt TD league and in round 3 the league went nuts drafting Vick, Rodgers, Brady, brees, rivers and romo.

I was able to assemble a great start leading into the pick. I got a decent backup (freeman) and overall I'm very happy I didn't waste a 3rd round pick on a qb. Could I have gotten equal or better value with big ben/schaub/matt Ryan? Time will tell, but as Seahawks pointed out, It's Peyton f'ing Manning.

I like that move that late and getting Freeman as well... If I take Peyton I want a 2nd QB like Freeman, Eli, Stafford or Bradford at worst. However I doubt Peyton makes it to me @ 50/51 as your 3rd round run will be 2nd round in my league... I guarantee Vick and Rodgers go 1st round and Brady Brees Rivers go 2nd... I don't know what it is, but our league just loves the QB's.

I don't know. Using mock draft data with large sample sizes and same scoring rules and roster requirements was a very valuable tool for our team in past WCOFF drafts. Early rounds mimicked the ADP data quite consistently year after year. The mock data wasn't completely useless by any means. IMO it was way more valuable then any given cheat sheet.

We are doing FPPC this year and a competing site has just released data from 6 different FPPC drafts. Bad news is that the sample size was low, good news is it was real draft data with a $300 + entry fee in each league. At any rate, I'd still expect it to be a valuable tool come draft day.

Fair enough about the mocks.

I got him at 5.10 in a BOTH real draft this week.

I was in a draft yesterday and this guy named Brentatstic picked Manning in the first round. We all laughed, but he said he will win the league because he thinks outside the box.

our local is pretty QB happy for whatever reason...we don't score QBs more than any other league I'm in...just an anomaly of this league

10 Teams, roster 2 QBs

Peyton 26th overall 7th QB taken

I would not draft him in the first 3 rounds, maybe in the 4th rounds but thats probably the earliest I would go with him.

Sidestory: NO JOKE!!! in one of my drafts I held the 3rd draft position, Peyton Manning went as the 2nd overall pick, I repeat SECOND OVERALL lol, I felt the need to thank the guy because AP just fell right into my lap.

I took him at 4.04 last night in a 12 team keep 2 BoTH league. Brady, Rivers and Flacco were kept, and Rodgers, Brees, Romo and Ryan went before Manning (6pts/TD) and I followed that up with Eli in the 11th round. I'm happy with that even if he misses a month. Flacco was kept for a late round pick, so Manning essentially was the 7th QB off the board. Roths and Schaub went shortly after Manning did.

PS: Forgot to mention Vick, who was also a designated keeper, so Manning was really like the 8th QB off the board.

Edited by Rovers