[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeAngelo Williams

Grits and Shins

As they say with any political scandal or investigation, what did they know and when did they know it? The Huddle had DWill rated rather highly in their preseason rankings. He was the #20 RB just behind Best and Bradshaw and AHEAD of Matthews, FJax, Benson, FJones, Tolbert, Jacobs and Wells. Here's the Huddle preseason profile:

"...Williams missed ten games last year because of his foot injury but he is healthy again and newly re-signed by the Panthers for a hefty $43 million for five years with $21 million guaranteed. To all Jonathan Stewart owners - sorry. the Panthers want to concentrate on their running game to reduce the need for Cam Newton to throw so even the sharing scenario still gives both runners fantasy value. If either are injured, then you own a gold mine."

In hindsight the thinking behind limiting Cam's need to throw seems sound. Obviously, the monsoon notwithstanding, the Huddle staff missed on DWill...so far.

Full disclosure I own DWill and JStew. I must confess to buying into The Huddles's preseason rankings regarding the CAR RBs. I drafted JStew (11th) and traded TJones for DWill straight up to the panicked Charles owner. I think he and/or JStew will steadily increase in value as the season unfolds. The league has enough tape on Cam and will adjust to limit his long vertical game. CAR will run the ball and at least try to create some sort of balanced attack. Although I doubt a "gold mine" awaits anyone.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I doubt a "gold mine" awaits anyone.

Let it go, big cat.

Who in there right mind would have predicted Cam Newton going off like he has? Over the course of the season there will be a regression to the mean where Newton will throw a bit less and the team will increase its running. The Huddle preseason ranking seemed reasonable based on the info available.

Edited by stethant

He was just dropped in our league too and I would love to stash him to see what he can do later in season but I just can't justify dropping anyone for him. Numbers don't lie folks.....

I think Rotoworld sums it up best when you look at his last 10 games he has played in:

Rotoworld

DeAngelo Williams is averaging just 43.5 rushing yards and 3.6 yards per carry in his last 10 games dating back to last season.

Meanwhile, Jonathan Stewart is averaging 73.0 yards and 5.3 yards per carry over his last 10 outings. At least one member of the Charlotte media is calling for the Panthers to abandon their "Double Trouble" approach and get Stewart the ball more. But coach Ron Rivera isn't buying it. For now, Williams will continue to get about half the carries

Also, his yards per game, avg. yards per carry and avg. touchdowns per game has been steadily declining since his monster year in 2008:

2008 - 94.9 (yards p/g), 5.5 (yards p/carry) & 1.25 (TD's p/g over 16 games)

2009 - 85.9 (yards p/g), 5.2 (yards p/carry) & .54 (TD's p/g over 13 games)

2010 - 60.2 (yards p/g), 4.1 (yards p/carry) & .17 (TD's p/g over 6 games)

Over 3 Games in 2011

2011 - 20.33 (yards p/g), 2.3 (yards p/carry) & 0 (TD's p/g over 3 games)

I remember dropping him in frustration and then watching him explode the very next week in a past season - it's a vivid memory that has me completely perplexed this year. I am worried that they will continue to let Newton go as crazy as he can for the ticket sales thing, and Stewart does seem to be more effective at this point. I just have this nagging feeling that DWill is going to go off one of these weeks and things will be a bit more equal in the run/pass department with this team (partly due to what was mentioned above about the league catching up with Newton). I'm going to hold on to both DWill and Stewart for a little longer, maybe something will clear up soon.

Of course he has a pulse today ... I cut him last week ...

Our ww is open all the time. No one has grabbed him yet and probably all the owners in my league are watching the game too. :wacko:

Should I drop Tate or D.T. or Felix even and pick him back up. I think I'll wait since Cam likes to run 'em in himself.

DeAngelo passed waivers Tuesday in my league ... so apparently nobody else wants him either.

Players like Hardesty, Ridley and Torain will all picked up this week ... but not DWill

I dropped DWill for Torain this week. Was thrilled.

JStew might be next.

I'm keeping Dwill for now. I like how he ran last week - looked good to my eyes. It's a long season and Jstew isn't the poster child for healthy RBs.

I don't believe CAR is committed to running the ball ... they love their shiny new toy (Cam) and are going to play with him all year. Even putting that aside they look very content splitting the limited carries between DWill and JStew ... never mind they just paid DWill

I don't believe CAR is committed to running the ball ... they love their shiny new toy (Cam) and are going to play with him all year. Even putting that aside they look very content splitting the limited carries between DWill and JStew ... never mind they just paid DWill

We all thought they'd run the ball to protect Cam and slowly introduce him to the pro game. Given the buzz he's created, the Panthers likely have a "lose all you want" card from the fan base this year and will get to add another shiny high round pick next year.

They have RBs, they have their QB...WR next year anyone?

We all thought they'd run the ball to protect Cam and slowly introduce him to the pro game. Given the buzz he's created, the Panthers likely have a "lose all you want" card from the fan base this year and will get to add another shiny high round pick next year.

They have RBs, they have their QB...WR next year anyone?

Maybe a playmaker or two on defense?

But at the same time, with Cam raising the bar all the way around, DWilly better step up. If JStew continues to look better, the clamor will be too great, they'll have to use him more. The better Cam is, the more people pay attention. Whatever they were thinking when they paid DWilly, you know they now wish they had saved some of those $$ for more weapons.

• 1 month later...
I'm starting Dwill and Helu now. It's not ideal but it could be worse. I'm still 4th in points thanks to the rest of my team.

I'm curious who are your other RB that DWill is worht starting.

He's been on my bench almost all year (may have started once) behind Starks, BGE and mayb Addai a couple times. Now BGE will probably go back to the bench and Ogbonnay will get the start.

I'm starting Dwill and Helu now. It's not ideal but it could be worse. I'm still 4th in points thanks to the rest of my team.

I'm not sure what scoring system you use, but in one of my leagues that uses a pretty standard yardage, TDs, and .5 PPR, here's how it could be better than DWill (average PPG over last 4 games):

LeRon McClain

Kendall Hunter

Bernard Scott

Delone Carter

Knowshon Moreno

Mewelde Moore

Jacquizz Rodgers

Phillip Tanner

Lance Ball

Christopher Ivory

Kevin Faulk

Jason Snelling

D.J. Ware

That's the murderer's row of players who have been more effective than DWill over the last month. Note, I used PPG so that would take out the bye week (which would have likely been a wash anyway considering how many teams have had a bye over the last month). On the strength of his one 20+ pt game, overall, he's in league with FF studs like Brandon Jacobs, Mark Ingram, James Starks, LaGarette Blount, all around #30 or so among RBs. Of the guys on that list, I would imagine only Blount owners are still trying to convince themselves that they have a RB1 or RB2 (largely because of the fact he's been hurt and missed some games).